Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 21:52   #271

Re: American invasion of Canada rehearsal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
@ #269:

This is getting interesting :-) However, we mustn't aggravate "the authorities" in our little "special purpose" internet world. They have rules they are honour-bound to invoke, so PM me if you want to continue the discussion.

Cheers

TP
I find it amusing that those who consider x profit per gallon to be excessive but see a similar amount collected in taxes to be quite reasonable.

It's all an open book. The numbers are in the public domain. Advocating for a particular Ox to bring up to the alter would most likely be the trigger leading to boundry enforcement.

So, no worries, rules are rules.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:36   #272
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
'Pre-refinery' in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
Something I have yet to get a proper answer to. Why can't Canada build a refinery up there to at least turn the tar sands oil into a lighter weight product that would not be so devastating if it were to spill??

You just might get Americans to agree to something like that if it were not such a risk to a MAJOR aquifer supplying lots of water to major farming states.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2...er-transcanada

And you do realize that a tar sands oil spill is a WHOLE LOT more difficult to clean up,...if ever
Perhaps we could get our new 'great business negotiator' to come up with a deal where the some entities in the USA would help cover a good portion of the cost to build that 'pre-refinery' in Canada to cut down on the 'heavy content' of that tar sands oil they want to pump across the lands that include our farm land aquifers?

It would certainly be FAR less expensive than the cost to clean up the 1-2 spills per 10 years that they have worked into their modeling proposal.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:27   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
I find it amusing that those who consider x profit per gallon to be excessive but see a similar amount collected in taxes to be quite reasonable.
I haven't met many who've said that. Usually I find the reverse opinion: oil companies are paragons of efficient free enterprise while the government is just the greedy tax-taker.

In North America, we pay too little for fossil fuels. The price charged and the taxes collected are still insufficient to cover the full life-cycle cost of finding, extracting, refining and using them, especially the clean-up part.

I know why this is: our economies are basically sputtering along, and it's only cheap energy that helps maintain the illusion that they are doing better than they really are. Therefore, we gonna keep drilling and pumping and burning, and providing subsidies and tax breaks to do so, until there's some new economic glimmer of hope, like the next dot-com or similar.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:06   #274

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I find it ironic that the pipeline is such a topic- inclusive of many from the Great Lakes- when the lake cities dump millions of gallons of raw sewage into the lakes during storms.

Monroe County (Rochester) alone is a perpetual violator and has broken the laws ...yet nothing happens. Monroe County sewer plant a chronic offender

And the Canadian cities do it too. Toronto Sewage Bypass Log — Lake Ontario Waterkeeper

Where is the outrage that our lake are being polluted by billions of gallons of raw sewage annually?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:45   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Where is the outrage that our lake are being polluted by billions of gallons of raw sewage annually?
Oh, it's there. Toronto beaches are tested and flagged throughout the summer, and when they're closed due to runoff, it's a news story. Some infrastructure money to re-do century-old storm systems would be helpful on both sides of the lakes.

Fertilizer getting into the Great Lakes is probably a bigger problem, longterm.

Anyway, sewage in the lake is an order of magnitude less environmentally toxic than spilled oil in the lake.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 14:08   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I haven't met many who've said that. Usually I find the reverse opinion: oil companies are paragons of efficient free enterprise while the government is just the greedy tax-taker.
Yes, I was being facetious there.

I don't see virtue or vice in a legitimate company making a profit. It's what they are supposed to do.

Anyway, oil isn't going away anytime soon.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada