Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2003, 07:07   #1

Talking 1st North Channel Cruise

We just returned from our first N. Channel Cruise.
I ended up layed up from surgery most of the summer, so I could only "lay around" on the boat on long weekends and not sail. But as soon as doc said okay your restrictions are lifted, we left for the N. Channel for 10 days. It was "awesome". We did have about 4 days of "bad weather" and three of them we had to stay in Blind River with other cruisers waiting out the weather. But we still had fun (which what it is all about). We checked in with customs at Meldrum bay on Manitoulin Island. We bought fresh baked goods from the guy whose wife bakes for the cruisers that sail into the harbor. We sailed from there to Sanford Island and anchored for two nights. We had the island, anchorage and a nice sand beach all to ourselves. Hard to believe in this crowded world that places like this still exsist. Then we sailed into Blind River, which we only planned on only being there for one night, but got weathered in for two more. We needed a pumpout, ice, and more beer and liquor! From there we had to work our way back to Drummond Island, so we sailed to Cockburn Island and stayed two nights. Then from Cockburn Island, we sailed a 10 hour sail back to our (new) home port in Whitney bay on Drummond Island. It was a great sailing vacation but too short of time. Had to be back for daughter to start school.
Pearson Commander
Dragon V
Mariner 40 (wood ketch)
SailorLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2003, 07:24   #2
Scurvy Dog

Northern Great Lakes

Sounds great, I hope to sail that area someday too. But duty calls and the mortgage must be paid. Maybe next year I can get 3 weeks off.

Just curious, what did you do to pass the time when not sailing? I saw a bunch of sailboats anchored out on South Manitou Island, which is just wilderness. I wonder what they did all day, read, cook, fish, swim, take walks, chat, visit, nap? It sure would be nice to hang out in an anchorage like that and slow down for a while.

Below, South Haven, Lake Michigan, a week ago:

Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2003, 06:52   #3

What we do when not sailing

We do all of the things that you said. We have our dinghy, so we rowed ashore and "explored" the islands. We swam from our private beach (brrrr..the water was cold). I read, napped, and my husband and I like to play cards and board games. We just like to "relax". We didn't fish on this trip, as we also have a salmon fishing boat that we fish with out of Rogers City on Lake Huron. my husband also likes to cook, (gourmet cooking) so he likes to try this on our two burner alcohol stove in the cockpit, usually with the pressure cooker. So this keeps him occupied while at anchor. We also seem to eat and drink beverages more while cruising. I don't think this is a good thing for the diets.
Pearson Commander
Dragon V
Mariner 40 (wood ketch)
SailorLiz is offline   Reply With Quote