Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2015, 05:37   #1

Boat: Allied Seawind 30
Yanmar 3gm30f, 570hrs, good condition, for sale $2000

I am selling a Yanmar 3gm30f with only 570hrs. It was professionally installed new in 2000. Despite its light use it has been run regularly and was found to be completely reliable on a recent Atlantic Circle. It has a leak at the water pump">raw water pump, but still runs at good temperature with no notable loss in water pressure or volume at the exhaust.

The engine is still in the boat and we are located in Brunswick, Georgia. The engine has been good to us, but is too large for my small boat and I will be installing an outboard to gain stowage space and watertight lockers as we prepare for a circumnavigation.

$2000 for this engine I believe is a great deal. Comes with all systems including 2 racors, fuel tank, transmission, cruising spares, etc...
Old 30-06-2015, 14:04   #2

Boat: Sail Craft, Apache 41
Re: Yanmar 3gm30f, 570hrs, good condition, for sale $2000

I'll buy if it as advertised. Send me a pm or email at debgen08@gmail.com I live in Central Florida
Old 30-06-2015, 23:46   #3

an outboard for circumnavigation? I was under the impression that the risks are, pooped with swells, gasoline risk, overheating if run for many many hours, etc. i would be interested in the discussion of pros and cons.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:58   #4

Outdoorman37, I think your outboard concerns are valid. However, I desire an auxiliary only for use while maneuvering in tight quarters. A low power outboard should take care of this and allow me more stowage and watertight compartments without increasing weight too much on the stern. I am designing the re-power such that I can stow the outboard in a cockpit locker while at sea.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:51   #5

cool, what if you are fighting a strong current and the hp isn't enough and not enough wind to get you in the direction you need to go? maybe even to avoid collision or grounding or get out of shipping lanes at night even? If you needed power in a sever storm to position your craft against the swell would the outboard be enough? it could get flooded with sea water? if knocked down? also, does the outboard charge your batteries when run? do you use a lift to put it on the stern, losing it overboard would be bad of course. in a period of dead calm for days or a week or more i guess you would or would not run the outboard? thanks. interesting.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman37 View Post
cool, what if you are fighting a strong current and the hp isn't enough and not enough wind to get you in the direction you need to go? maybe even to avoid collision or grounding or get out of shipping lanes at night even? If you needed power in a sever storm to position your craft against the swell would the outboard be enough? it could get flooded with sea water? if knocked down? also, does the outboard charge your batteries when run? do you use a lift to put it on the stern, losing it overboard would be bad of course. in a period of dead calm for days or a week or more i guess you would or would not run the outboard? thanks. interesting.
A powerful diesel engine can be quite a tool. All the scenarios you site could potentially benefit by using a powerful engine.

Tidal currents can be harnessed as well as fought. Sailing with less aux power requires more planning and knowledge of a sailing area and the complexities of its tidal events.

As far as storm management, I do not have any strategies that require an engine. An engine might make it easier to retrieve the series drogue or para-anchor, but they are retrievable without engine use as well. First line of defense has always been heaving to, no need for engine there.

On any passage longer than a few days, I would stow the outboard in a watertight locker on a dedicated bracket. The outboard I bought is 60 pounds and does not require a lift.

Solar provides all my power needs. I have one 50W panel on a tracker and have never needed more. I will be getting a couple of semi-flexible 100W panels for redundancy. I have never used the yanmar to charge batteries. The outboard does have a small 60W alternator that comes standard.

I try to avoid calms, but when I do find myself in them there is a major temptation to use the engine. However my boat sails satisfactorily with 5-7 knots of wind, and typically it hasn't been more than 24 hours waiting for such a light breeze. If however it takes longer, we will just have to wait longer.

Removing the diesel system, allows us to completely separate the aft third of the boat from the forward two-thirds with watertight bulkheads. That coupled with the watertight v-berth (raised 5" above waterline) that I just completed, and additional watertight compartments through out the cabin, provide me with a greater peace of mind than having the extra horsepower in my pocket.

Brian
Old 01-07-2015, 19:15   #7

Boat: Watkins 36

I have to admit, I like the simplistic approach of a smaller, cheaper and easily replaced auxiliary, but then again I'm one of those types that only uses the auxiliary when docking short handed.

Sailors are as diverse as the boats they captain. In today's safety conscious society we can't fathom accepting known risks. Sometimes we forget that for centuries sailors have been circumnavigating the globe without electronics or a engine at all. (Noted many of them ended up on the rocks)

If all you need is an outboard, and from the hours you put on your engine in 15 years you may be right, go for it! To each their own. An interesting debate none the less...
Old 10-07-2015, 08:59   #8
gb1

Is this engine still for sale?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:13   #9

Thanks for the inquiries. I have accepted an offer on the engine. If it falls through I will repost.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:16   #10

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

Hell yea Brian, it was great to meet you, would love to catch up... im going to try my friends 6hp tohatsu soon, im not expecting much but ill let you know how it goes. the Yamaha 9.9 has been amazing, I used 6 gallons of gas in 3 months and 1400 miles of sailing, I am still burning gas from saltpond long island
Old 10-07-2015, 10:19   #11

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

what kind/size outboard did you get? how are you going to mount it?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:34   #12

Ben,

Great to hear from you. I bought a Tohatsu Sailpro. I have a garhauer adjustable mount to hang the motor off the transom. I can nicely fit the engine in one of the cockpit lockers at sea. I really like your outboard well and may someday do something similar, but for now I need a quick and easy install with so many other projects needing attention.

Let me know if you pass through Brunswick, Ga. We will be here through the summer and fall. Hopefully this winter we will be done with projects and can sail around the Bahamas or DR or Haiti or Cuba or something before heading back to Bermuda in the spring.

Let me know how the sailpro test drive goes when you can!
Old 11-07-2015, 05:57   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

With ditching the diesel, the watertight bulkhead project and others you describe, and being located in Brunswick are you consulting with the legendary James Baldwin? He is completely responsible for my sailing addiction...
Old 11-07-2015, 13:41   #14

Yes, Azul. James is an amazing resource and a good friend. He is really one of a kind. He just put out his new book and so far it is an awesome read.
Old 14-07-2015, 15:51   #15

The Engine is still for sale for anyone interested. The previous buyer is unable to make the trip to Brunswick at this time.

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, for sale, sale, yanmar