Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2018, 07:58   #1

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
WTB: Tool Rolls

I understand it’s a long shot, but am looking for some old fashioned faux leather-like tool rolls for my wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. My dad had smth like that for working on his car, but that was long ago and in a different world.

Most tools I’ve seen today come in those spiffy plastic display cases which are great for store shelves, but not exactly ideal for storing on a boat. Space is also quite limited of course.

So if anyone is cleaning out theirs, I’m happy to consider with or without tools (my wrenches are Husky, new, and acceptable; my screwdrivers are Craftsmen and about 10 years old and are completely awful, they don’t grip the screw head at all / and it’s not a mater of their age, they’ve always been that way).

Any suggestions also appreciated.
Thank you!
Anton
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 08:10   #2

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: WTB: Tool Rolls

Harbor Freight has them for 10 dollars. Been using them for my common tools for years.

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-poc...oll-93828.html
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 11:59   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Not faux leather, but in recent years Amazon has had MANY tool rolls for sale. Usually a good quality nylon or canvas, varying sizes. Apparently the motorcycle community never gave up on them, so cycle shops may also have them at hand.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 12:30   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Check out Nantucket Bagg; they are at most boat shows.. both rolls and bags than convert to rolls; really nice
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 12:46   #5

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

I bought several of these, decent quality and less than $15

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 27-05-2018, 12:48   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Bull Tools on Amazon. Bullet proof heavy canvas, get them in different colors so you can tell your SAE apart from your metric, etc. A few bucks more than HF and better quality.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ools+tool+roll
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 13:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoha View Post
... my screwdrivers are Craftsmen and about 10 years old and are completely awful, they don’t grip the screw head at all / and it’s not a mater of their age, they’ve always been that way...

Any suggestions also appreciated.

Here's a suggestion: either sharpen and reshape your screwdrivers... or pitch them and buy some good ones. Bad or worn screwdrivers are an endless source of frustration, stripped screws, and injury.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 13:51   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Like this one? I bought this a few months ago in an antiques swapmeet in Kyoto, Japan.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 14:33   #9

Boat: islandpacket

I bought some Craftsmen screw drivers, the tips were coated in diamond dust, sounded kind of hokey, but they were the best gripping ones I've ever used. Hope they hold up.
Old 27-05-2018, 17:51   #10

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

MENARDS is another source.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 18:21   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Adventure tool company
Old 27-05-2018, 19:25   #12
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoha View Post
my screwdrivers are Craftsmen and about 10 years old and are completely awful, they don’t grip the screw head at all / and it’s not a mater of their age, they’ve always been that way).
Craftsman tools never were the very best, but they were decent, and always new because you could take them back and swap them out with new ones off of the shelf when they started to get worn.

but they went downhill fast after Sears was bought out by K-mart. Now, you are better off buying Harbor Freight, as their stuff is a step or two up from Craftsman. It's a shame but the world is what it is. the Harbor Freight stuff isn't actually too bad, or at least their wrenches are pretty good, the screwdrivers less so, but still better than the stuff that wears the Craftsman name today.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 20:51   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

antoha, you can buy leather seconds that are fine for oiling and keeping your tools in, if you like to DIY. Sometimes leather wholesalers have barells you can look through for off-cuts., sometimes free. A lot of it is shoe leather, but it is easy to sew using a regular sewing machine.

Ann
Old 27-05-2018, 23:17   #14

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
antoha, you can buy leather seconds that are fine for oiling and keeping your tools in, if you like to DIY. Sometimes leather wholesalers have barells you can look through for off-cuts., sometimes free. A lot of it is shoe leather, but it is easy to sew using a regular sewing machine.

Ann
This! Done it a few times. Also visit upholstrey shops for that faux leather stuff. Used a lot in ski boats
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 06:53   #15

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

Thank you everyone for so many useful suggestions! I would prefer to buy smth than diy at this point - just too many things to do and not enough time. Although I realize Ann’s suggestion would give me the exact fit for all the tools, I just don’t feel like starting another project. So I will look at the stuff on amazon to start with, certainly better than what I have now. If I get some free time down the line and I’m not pleased with the store bought solution, I’ll try to put smth together myself.
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote