Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2018, 12:15   #1

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter
Whitlock/Lewmar Steering Pedestal

Fellow Cruisers,

I'm looking for a steering pedestal to replace my old Whitlock (aboard a 1984 Conyplex Contest 32 Ketch). This type of steering has a crown/bevel gear shaft that connects (on the bottom of the pedestal) to a secondary unit by means of a splined shaft with u-joints. I am not able to locate a model name/number.

Whitlock sold out to Lewmar, and I believe Lewmar continued to market the Whitlock-compatible unit as part of their Mamba series. But I'm not sure.

I don't think an Edson or anything with a quadrant will work, since it takes multiple turns of the wheel to turn the secondary unit through a complete cycle of rudder travel. So nothing with cables, chains or quadrants.

I'm in Florida, so prefer items in that locale. But we can work out shipping if you're beyond driving distance.

Thanks!
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 13:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 22 Charles Crosby Catboat
Re: Whitlock/Lewmar Steering Pedestal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Opposite View Post
Fellow Cruisers,

I'm looking for a steering pedestal to replace my old Whitlock (aboard a 1984 Conyplex Contest 32 Ketch). This type of steering has a crown/bevel gear shaft that connects (on the bottom of the pedestal) to a secondary unit by means of a splined shaft with u-joints. I am not able to locate a model name/number.

Whitlock sold out to Lewmar, and I believe Lewmar continued to market the Whitlock-compatible unit as part of their Mamba series. But I'm not sure.

I don't think an Edson or anything with a quadrant will work, since it takes multiple turns of the wheel to turn the secondary unit through a complete cycle of rudder travel. So nothing with cables, chains or quadrants.

I'm in Florida, so prefer items in that locale. But we can work out shipping if you're beyond driving distance.

Thanks!
Send me a PM with email, I might be able to assist.
Regards,
Doug

Tags
lewmar, pedestal, steering