Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2018, 08:42   #1

Boat: Whitby 42
What’s the best salt water body soap

We have tried different types of body wash soaps and found some to be high in perfume and some that are like oil.
Would like to get opinions on what is the best “off the shelf” soap for washing in salt water.
macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 09:59   #2

Re: What’s the best salt water body soap

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae View Post
We have tried different types of body wash soaps and found some to be high in perfume and some that are like oil.
Would like to get opinions on what is the best “off the shelf” soap for washing in salt water.
On Deliveries, where freshwater is short I always use Colgate Green Apple Shampoo. Works best used on a sponge. Not sure if it's available in your part of the world. Cheap and cheerful, but more importantly it does the job. Most shower gels work, but are more expensive for the same job.

Hope that helps.
flyingboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 10:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae View Post
I just use diluted Dawn dishsoap. Works great. A very little goes a long way. Is cheap. Rinses easily. Saves stocking multiple products.

But of course if you need the fancy advertising budget...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 10:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have seen Dawn (liquid dish detergent) used. It is a detergent (not a true soap). It is chemically designed to lather.

I have seen Johnson's Baby Shampoo used. It is mild, and I have used it for overall body wash.

I have used Dr. Bronner's 18 in 1 Castile Soap. It comes in various scents (I like the peppermint and almond) and is based on a postassium formula using plant oils. It is a true soap, not a detergent. I once bought a gallon of it, but a small bottle should be enough for a typical voyage. A 4 oz bottle can last a long time, if you just use a few drops on a sponge. It needs to be diluted, or just use a few drops in the hand. It will leave long hair "squeaky clean" so you may want to use a conditioner afterwards (I used to have long hair and it could tangle), to reduce tangles. Some people love the peppermint (I do) but some don't. If it is stinging you, dilute it more.

You can find "Sailor's Soap" (a brand of shampoo or liquid soap) which is a liquid soap (similar to Dr. Bronner's) and sold in small 4 oz bottles for $6 on Amazon.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 11:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
I have seen Dawn (liquid dish detergent) used. It is a detergent (not a true soap). It is chemically designed to lather.
And the point of that comment is? What's wrong with a detergent? Most all commercial shampoos are detergents and are "designed to lather" because people think (incorrectly) that suds == clean.

Quote:
I have seen Johnson's Baby Shampoo used. It is mild, and I have used it for overall body wash.
Baby shampoo contains detergent... Other than a good advertising slogan, I wonder if someone could explain what "mild" actually means?

True chemical soaps (i.e., sodium salts of fatty acids) don't work in salt water. The high ionic strength of the seawater keeps them from working as fat emulsifiers.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 15:35   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, Bill,

Less dilute detergents are more likely to sting in your eyes than the baby shampoo. That's the main difference that I know of.

Any detergent with laurel sulfate (whatever that is, I'm not a chemist), will lather in salt water. We used to look for Joy, but Dawn seems popular with today's Americans.

We have washed our hair, our bodies and our dishes all in the same detergent. As we aged, I've found I like a body lotion afterwards, the detergents leave me with dry skin. But what I usually do, is wash my whole body with the shampoo I use, whatever that may be. The change happened when we got a boat with a below-decks shower.

Nowadays, I usually shower below, but the occasional fresh water rinse-off with hair conditioner, leaves clean hair and body after swimming, if you're clean to start with.

It will depend on the cruising grounds and water supply about showering.

PS. I sort of think that the concept of needing "fancy" stuff for washing has been sold to people by advertising, and we are free to reject it if we choose. I would not consider any media source of total truth.....

Ann
Old 23-04-2018, 17:13   #7

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

A dish soap (joy, Dawn, etc) is a no-no for washing your car. It will remove the wax. So, imagine what it does to the natural oils on your skin. I recommend the cheapest Green Apple shampoo you can find. Works great.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 18:02   #8
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

While we haven't tried it in salt water yet we've been using Doc Bronner's Peppermint Castile soap for years. It really needs to be diluted to work well but it is hard to meter it out just a few drops at a time. It seems they keep making the hole in the cap larger and larger every year so that you accidentally use more.

We have re-purposed some of those Dawn foaming-pump dispensers and have found that you can pre-mix the Doc Bronner's in it at a ratio of about 8 to 10 to 1 depending on how much lather you want. Then you don't need salt water to get a lather and can just lather up and then rinse off.

This method has allowed us to stretch a large 32oz bottle to well over a year for the two of us where before we started doing this we were going through one 32oz bottle every month or two. We were using (wasting) 10x the amount of soap trying to pour just enough into our hands and then mixing/lathering as we washed.

The only downside with using these pump bottles with Doc Bronner's is that you need to go through enough of it so that it doesn't go rancid inside, which it will definitely do sooner or later once it is mixed with water and sits around for a little while. It smells disgusting when this happens and it is hard to clean the pump bottle out after this so it doesn't keep smelling vile. We use Dawn in the kitchen and simply swap the pump bottles out if the Doc Bronner bottle goes rancid. The Dawn overpowers any rancid smell, and the Peppermint overpowers the smell of Dawn. For some reason the Peppermint doesn't have any power over the peppermint rancid smell though.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 21:59   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Salt water soap....Im confused.....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 22:04   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Another vote for Doctor Bronner's!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 08:08   #11

Boat: American Tug

I've used Dr. Bronner's for years, on land and sea, and love it. I dilute it 50% water and 50% soap and it works just great. It also comes in bar form, but I prefer the liquid.
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 08:19   #12

Woolite
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 08:28   #13

Joy and Dawn work well in salt water, but probably a bit harsh for hair. My hair was short in the tropics so I used it anyway. Most shampoos are detergent based, they strip the oil, then you put it back with conditioner! but a few are not detergent, Ivory IIRC.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 08:31   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

the cheapest soap you can buy in the drugstore. Nowadays all are applicable.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 08:43   #15

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Dawn has worked for us.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, salt water, water