Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2018, 11:54   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Stainless Lobster

$150 location Jacksonville Fl. I take Paypal and I’ll ship it anywhere in the lower 48 for that price.
This is the ticket, particularly if you have a critical orifice, thin rolled evaporator system that is used as a fridge. One example is a AB Super Cold machine. It is not however the ticket for a Cool Blue Cold Plate.
It will work of course, just none of the features that make it so slick a device will work on a Cool Blue though. I had it hooked up but not completely installed for about a week.
https://stainlesslobster.com/fridge-optimizer
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0428.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	174581
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:45   #2

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop
Re: Stainless Lobster

Hi,
I have a Frigoboat w/Danfoss air and water cooled BD-35. It used to be used as a freezer and has a large wrap around evaporator (about 35" x 15", however I now use it as a fridge only, so using the thermostat on your unit should be better than my present one (it being set-up for a freezer). I see from their site it comes w/a 2 yr. warranty; is there any time left, if so I would need the orig. invoice. LMK I am interested. Shipping would be to San Francisco, CA . Can't get much further from FL in the continental US than that !
Old 12-08-2018, 14:33   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I bought it online, I have no invoice.
However just from talking to them both on the phone and via email, if there was a problem that was due to their product, I think they would stand behind it. They are fellow cruisers, and I think this is a low volume production thing, they are not a company like Raritan or Balmar, meaning a big company, I believe they are a Mom and Pop company.

If your interested, you ought to contact them, if nothing else they could of course explain their system better than anyone.

I’ve had it for about a month, but surely less than two.
Old 12-08-2018, 16:22   #4

Fair enough, I'll get back to you after a chat with them.
Old 15-08-2018, 16:49   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sold, thank you for looking
Old 15-08-2018, 18:22   #6

Thanks for LMK. If the sale falls through I'm still interested and can move a bit faster.
Old 15-08-2018, 18:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

He paid and I shipped.
If you have a thin plate evaporator and it’s used as a fridge, then I think this device is worth while, it is especially useful if you can determine if your compressor is normally run at low speed.
On a bd compressor system, you can tell that by measuring resistance on the thermostat leads with the thermostat closed of course, if you get 1500 ohms, then your compressor is running at high speed all of the time, but if you get a very low resistance, then it’s not.
Along with auto defrost, this thing can both speed up your compressor and lower set point when your battery is being charged and you have excess power, then slow down and raise the temp when it’s being discharged.
Old 15-08-2018, 23:09   #8

"On a bd compressor system, you can tell that by measuring resistance on the thermostat leads with the thermostat closed of course, if you get 1500 ohms, then your compressor is running at high speed all of the time, but if you get a very low resistance, then it’s not."

Thanks for that bit of info, I never gave the thermostat much thought thinking it was only a on/off temp. controlled switch, I'll be checking for resistance to see what's up. I'm getting near to the top of the learning curve (which may be revised) of these small reefer systems with the help from Richard K's and Caulder's book, although Richard's would have benefited from a skilled editor, they are IMO the most understandable reads on the subject. I've also gained much from this forum, esp. the latest, Who provides the best 12 volt refrigeration systems?, almost 150 replies ! Just hoping a few will keep the gloves on so the thread doesn't get bumped. Back to subject:
I see from their site that Egis Mobile Electric acquired Stainless Lobster on July 1 '18, seems like a decent company. As long as they don't offshore the product I'll probably purchase one.