Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 14:53   #1

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Spectra Watermaker

I know these are unicorns in the used market... but might as well put this up. Looking for a 12V system from Spectra, any model.
Old 18-05-2016, 18:46   #2

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Spectra Watermaker

Why not buy new?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-05-2016, 19:05   #3

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Or Echo-tec
Old 18-05-2016, 20:42   #4

uh to save some money...
Old 19-05-2016, 07:11   #5

Boat: Whidby 42

There's a guy in the San Francisco area with one listed on Craigslist the pressure vessel for the long filter is cracked and corroded at both ends so that would need replaced but other than that it looks like an OK unit and he's a bit of a knucklehead butt there is one in Craigslist in San Francisco
Old 19-05-2016, 07:26   #6

Thanks for the heads up socal
Old 19-05-2016, 20:46   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

DDabs...Contact Tellie on this forum. He helped me find a dead one while I was in Mexico, from Florida. I rebuilt it with the help of Spectra and later went to their school and became a roving technician. Not impossible to find but you may have to do a little work on it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 19-05-2016, 21:52   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
DDabs...Contact Tellie on this forum. He helped me find a dead one while I was in Mexico, from Florida. I rebuilt it with the help of Spectra and later went to their school and became a roving technician. Not impossible to find but you may have to do a little work on it.
Please tell me more about the roving tech program. I have two older 380c units onboard.

Ken
Old 19-05-2016, 23:11   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

As I remember the 380 has 2 diaphragm boost pumps as does my custom "Marquesas" model.
You can send your Clark pump in for a rebuild/update and buy new heads for the pumps if needed.
Call Spectra about the roving technician class. It has been getting more difficult as time has gone on to get in. They like to fill the class with Marine dealers employees, making it hard for a cruiser to get in. I had to keep bugging them.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-05-2016, 00:08   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
As I remember the 380 has 2 diaphragm boost pumps as does my custom "Marquesas" model.
You can send your Clark pump in for a rebuild/update and buy new heads for the pumps if needed.
Call Spectra about the roving technician class. It has been getting more difficult as time has gone on to get in. They like to fill the class with Marine dealers employees, making it hard for a cruiser to get in. I had to keep bugging them.
Exactly correct on the 380c model. We had the factory rebuild both Clark pumps, we replaced the boost pump heads ourselves on the older unit two years ago, but last summer both boost pumps pooped out and needed replacement when the internals failed. So this summer we'll begin with four new boost pumps and a spare in the locker, along with two replacement head kits... just in case.

Tags
water, watermaker