Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2018, 16:46   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Quadrant, bronze steering quadrant.

I am looking for a Bronze steering quadrant. Needs to be 15-16' radius from center of bore. Ideally bore would be 1-3/4" but smaller bore would be OK as I can have it machined.
Let me know what you have.
Jim
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 16:40   #2

Re: Quadrant, bronze steering quadrant.

No one with an old quadrant out there? I'd consider 12" radius just to keep things moving.
Old 22-05-2018, 17:55   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

I think you will find that a new one from Edson is not that expensive. If you mess with the quadrant diameter, it changes the cable pitch to the pulleys. It's a lot trouble to get everything back in line. If you don't, it will wear the pulleys out.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 18:48   #4
Eternal Member

In 1996 I replaced an old iron quadrant with a new bronze quadrant from Edson. I believe this was special pricing, but not sure. Specifications:

EDSON BRONZE QUADRANT 14 INCH BORE 2.25 KEY 3/8 $261.97

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 20:00   #5

I'll contact Edson but I think they are over $800.00 now.
No worry about alignment of sheaves etc as it will be an entirely new installation. I can handle the math to get the same # of turns stop to stop given quadrant radius and wheel sprocket tooth count and will have the same mechanical advantage as with the current system. (minus a lot of drag) I'd prefer to have a long lever (large radius) at the rudder shaft.
The original is a bronze screw and yoke system which had been repaired (brazed) twice. A new custom made Edson meteor system is around $7500. I don't have a lot of faith in the old one and have a solid understanding of the pros and cons of both cable/chain and worm gear systems. A feature of the screw and yoke steering that bothers me significantly is the lack of ability to mount an emergency tiller on the meteor system without first removing all the lever components.
Old 23-05-2018, 04:37   #6

Boat: Ericson 28/2

I have an aluminum one with a 2 and 3/4" bore and 12" radius if you're interested.
Afrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 04:48   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowglide View Post
I'll contact Edson but I think they are over $800.00 now.
No worry about alignment of sheaves etc as it will be an entirely new installation. I can handle the math to get the same # of turns stop to stop given quadrant radius and wheel sprocket tooth count and will have the same mechanical advantage as with the current system. (minus a lot of drag) I'd prefer to have a long lever (large radius) at the rudder shaft.
The original is a bronze screw and yoke system which had been repaired (brazed) twice. A new custom made Edson meteor system is around $7500. I don't have a lot of faith in the old one and have a solid understanding of the pros and cons of both cable/chain and worm gear systems. A feature of the screw and yoke steering that bothers me significantly is the lack of ability to mount an emergency tiller on the meteor system without first removing all the lever components.
Found a new Edson 16" online for USD$1,020 but the 14" was only $683.

Have you tried calling any of the shops that breakdown abandoned and wrecked boats to sell the parts? Lots of them around. Google used boat parts. One near me I use a lot is Monkey Fist Marine in Green Cove Springs FL. There's Sailor's Exchange in St Augustine and one of the oldest and largest, Sailorman in Ft Lauderdale. Unfortunately Sailorman seems to have moved upscale and last time I was there not so many bargains but they have a huge inventory.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 04:56   #8

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

I've owned two boats with bronze edson gears, one was a quadrant the other is a "meteor". Both styles are extremely robust and if your gear has suffered damage there was probably some kind of misalignment that caused it. I would check carefully to see that your installation is correctly aligned and reconsider replacing the gear. Brazing is a completely adequate repair for bronze if done well.
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 05:57   #9

from the outside looking in, my suspicion is that the issue with your original system failure is related to pacific rim alloys of the era. the edson units tend to outlast their original (& subsequent) boats. If you are wanting to go with a worm gear system, PM me as I am aware of one on consignment sale at a regional used marine equipment vendor. disclosure: I have no affiliation with the part or shop. edson worm gear systems are usually hard to come by.
old frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 04:26   #10

Quite possibly a pacific rim casting, some parts became damaged after a hard reverse impact by previous owner. I am looking to a quadrant to simplify things though I will be keeping the wheel positioned through the helm seat.
Old 24-05-2018, 04:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrakes View Post
I have an aluminum one with a 2 and 3/4" bore and 12" radius if you're interested.
Hi thanks for the offer, but I need a smaller (1-3/4") bore.
Cheers
Old 24-05-2018, 05:01   #12

Your plan makes sense. I have many miles/years on an edson worn gear system appreciate the helm position/configuration. If I have a chance in the next day or two, I will swing into their store to see if they have something in their pile. I am always looking for an excuse to see what I might be able to pick up for the spare parts kit.
Old 24-05-2018, 07:29   #13

Let me know if you spot any sweet
Quadrant deals
Old 25-05-2018, 10:07   #14

Sorry, no luck. A small 8" radius with equally small bore & a 12" with 2 3/8" bore.
Old 25-05-2018, 22:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by old frog View Post
Sorry, no luck. A small 8" radius with equally small bore & a 12" with 2 3/8" bore.
Well thanks for looking... the search continues.

Tags
steering