Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2014, 07:23   #1

Boat: Roberts Spray 40
More than a hull - 40' Spray

This Bruce Roberts 40' Spray was designed for ocean cruising comfort. It is 40’ long, 14 1/2’ wide, shallow draft (4 ft) full-length keel. Those who have built and sailed these boats in heavy weather know it to be safe and secure.

This is MORE THAN A HULL - It’s a beautifully constructed replica of Joshua Slocum's Spray. The decks (not pictured), bulkheads and some of the interior cabinetry are complete.

This boat has been built to exacting specifications, with precision and expert advice. We have lovingly crafted this sailboat but, regretfully, we are unable to complete it due to health issues. It is currently housed in a pole building in NE Ohio, has always been protected from the elements, and has been very well-cared-for and it's definitely worth a look!

Many professionals have been amazed at the quality. Must be seen to appreciate the quality of construction thus far.

See more pictures on facebk - look for Palmerton Boat.

Includes:
New Perkins 80 horse marine diesel engine and transmission (worth $10K)
Refrigeration system
2 new Sealand head systems
Anchor
Sailcloth and hardware
Stove

We are offering this boat at $12K. (We have 70 into it without counting any labor) We regret terribly that we must sell this, but my husband's health makes it impossible to finish it. We are located in NE Ohio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat pics - older-12.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	85424   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01285.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	85425  

Name:	Boat pics - older-11.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	85426   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01292.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	85427  

Name:	Boat pics - older.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	85428  
Old 31-07-2014, 06:32   #2

I Need Advice

I have a 40' partially completed sailboat (I have posted it for sale on a thread in the "boat classified" section). It's really a wonderfully well-constructed vessel which we cannot complete as my husband now lives in a nursing home. I've had several "almost" sales, but they've all fallen through. I'm getting desperate because I can't keep it where it is any longer. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, tips would be greatly appreciated.

It's listed with Bruce Roberts, the architect on his brokerage website, and here.

I've hesitated to put it on eBay due to the cost of listing it with them. I may have to bite the bullet.

The very last resort is a landfill. That would absolutely kill us.
Old 31-07-2014, 06:47   #3

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Re: I need advice

Craigslist is free

Scot McPherson
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 31-07-2014, 07:04   #4

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: I need advice

Bring down the price. Also, ask around at the docks for someone who might be interested in a project. People who like that kind of thing aren't necessarily in the market looking, they just pick up strays that they happen across.

The broker who sold us our boat picked up a project at about the same time. Someone contacted him about listing it and when he told them what he would list for the guy offered it to him for free. It was in really rough shape, but it was the kind of boat they had originally wanted.
Old 31-07-2014, 08:52   #5

Boat: islandpacket
Re: More than a hull - 40' Spray

Need more info. Does this have mast and sail. Other equipment. More photos please.
Old 31-07-2014, 18:57   #6

Re: I Need Advice

I had a friend in the same situation. When he passed, his wife gave the boat away to someone who finished it and went sailing. They had a lot of $ in it too. It's the journey not the destination. Sorry this happened to you and your husband. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 31-07-2014, 19:16   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Kathy,

I think you need to put a fair bit more info in your post to get a response.

One thing I see right away is that it is listed as a Roberts Spray. I may be wrong but I think most folks associate a Robert Spray with steel construction. Those pics make me think this is a glass construction boat, right?

Clarifying that issue in itself may help a lot.

Can you say more about the construction? Did you husband do it himself or was the hull made in a yard? What is the construction?

Perhaps you can look at yachtworld and craft your post to follow their "specifications" format.

Hard to believe you can't sell her off. She looks nice enough.
Old 31-07-2014, 20:14   #8

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

Consider giving it to a Maritime Museum. Look into a gift annuity. TheMichigan Maritime Museum located in South Haven, MI has a boat shed where they build and repair boats. Perhaps it is a project that would interest them. If that is something you would like to pursue further, send me a PM with a link to your "for sale" ad.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:38   #9

The hull is fiberglass, built according to Bruce Roberts specifications for this vessel. SHe's a beauty. We laid up the hull in three days with 3 professionals and 45 "regular" folks working in 6-8 hour shifts in our pole building.

Lots more pictures are posted on Facebook. Look for Palmerton Boat.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversailor View Post
Consider giving it to a Maritime Museum. Look into a gift annuity. TheMichigan Maritime Museum located in South Haven, MI has a boat shed where they build and repair boats. Perhaps it is a project that would interest them. If that is something you would like to pursue further, send me a PM with a link to your "for sale" ad.
Silversailor, what is a PM and how do I do it. I'd like to talk, but hesitant to post my phone number here for all the world to see. Would consider a donation to Mich Maritime Museum.

The link for the Bruce Roberts brokerage ad is: Bruce Roberts, steel boat plans, boat building, boatbuilding, steel boat kits, boat kits

As mentioned above, there are quite a few pictures on Facebook under the name Palmerton Boat.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:54   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

KathyPalm, A PM is a private message that you can send to any member listed. Just click on the name in the person's avatar and select, "send a private message".

Tags
hull