Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2016, 09:22   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Harbor Freight 3 Burner Propan Stove with Broiler

Here are a couple pictures of a portable butane steak grill I found at the asian grocery near me. It's surface is about the size of a sheet of paper . They wanted $20 for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0021.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	138051   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0020.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	138052  

Old 15-12-2016, 09:23   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecureDelivery View Post
Help!
Looking high and low for a :
Harbor Freight 3 Burner Propane Stove With Broiler
It's discontinued and was manufactured just for HF ( or so they tell me )
Had one years ago, should've kept it ashore.
Would be very grateful to anyone who may know where to get one or who may have one for sale.
Can't post image here well, but here's a link to image:
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...image_4329.jpg
The reason you can't find one is they all probably rusted apart.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 09:26   #18

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I fond my 1 burner propane burner very convenient. The photos posted of 2 burner/broiler units look to be extremely small. Looks like a single hamburger would bu the limit. A rail mounted propane grill makes more sense to me.
Our stove was about the same size as a Coleman camp stove. A 10in skillet fit fine.
Ours also came with a griddle. Honestly, it's not a whole lot smaller than the Force 10 we have now. But lighter weight.
Old 15-12-2016, 10:25   #19

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I have one of the Harbor Freight stove = great stove. Still using it. Butane is a PITA. Only small bottles in US. Try the Amazon Gravelove Stainless Steel 2 burner LPG gas stove. $39.79.
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 12:10   #20

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecureDelivery View Post
Help!
Looking high and low for a :
Harbor Freight 3 Burner Propane Stove With Broiler
It's discontinued and was manufactured just for HF ( or so they tell me )
Had one years ago, should've kept it ashore.
Would be very grateful to anyone who may know where to get one or who may have one for sale.
Can't post image here well, but here's a link to image:
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...image_4329.jpg
Hi SecureDelivery,

We bought that exact model about 15 years ago [and never used it...] for a remote cabin we have yet to build. It is in storage, and it is not likely I could put my hands on it quickly.

However, if it helps someone out, I could try and dig it out after the holidays...

Feel free to PM me if it is of interest. I cannot remember what I paid, and shipping from Alaska will factor in as well... [I remember it was solid and heavy...]

In case this is of interest.

Cheers! Bill
Old 15-12-2016, 13:56   #21

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

The two stoves with ovens (large or small) look neat, but.... Both air supply (O2) and exhaust (CO in particular) seem to be potential problem areas on a boat since they are designed for outdoor camping. I'd be careful upfront because it could be to late if you wait (rhyme unintended).
Old 15-12-2016, 14:13   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
The two stoves with ovens (large or small) look neat, but.... Both air supply (O2) and exhaust (CO in particular) seem to be potential problem areas on a boat since they are designed for outdoor camping. I'd be careful upfront because it could be to late if you wait (rhyme unintended).
Brian the camp chef is just fine for a boat according to the manufacturer I posted a letter from them about 3 years agoover on sailnet. The only thing that you need to do is mount the unit so it won't fall over when underway. Also it won't produce any more co or any other exhaust gasses than a force ten stove and oven.
Old 15-12-2016, 15:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Brian the camp chef is just fine for a boat according to the manufacturer I posted a letter from them about 3 years agoover on sailnet. The only thing that you need to do is mount the unit so it won't fall over when underway. Also it won't produce any more co or any other exhaust gasses than a force ten stove and oven.
Typically (meaning in this instance no memory of anything to the contrary) the Force 10's (and similar) I've seen have a chimney leading to a Charlie Noble (on the coachroof). Admittedly, I've see alcohol stove without venting, but not propane, or diesel. If the manufacturer says its OK, then it probably is -if it was not they'd probably have been sued until they had gone bye bye. OK needs to be secured. How about availability of a swing mount and fiddles?
Old 15-12-2016, 15:25   #24

This is from seadreaming's signature, above:"If toast always lands butter side down, and cats always land on their feet, what would happen if you strapped toast to a cat's back and dropped it? - Steven Wright"

But what if you strapped the cat to the back of the toast instead -would you not have less cat fur in your butter? For those of you who may be concerned, I would not do either to my cat, although I am sure there are times when she might do it to me.
Old 15-12-2016, 16:56   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Typically (meaning in this instance no memory of anything to the contrary) the Force 10's (and similar) I've seen have a chimney leading to a Charlie Noble (on the coachroof). Admittedly, I've see alcohol stove without venting, but not propane, or diesel. If the manufacturer says its OK, then it probably is -if it was not they'd probably have been sued until they had gone bye bye. OK needs to be secured. How about availability of a swing mount and fiddles?
Ok brian I dont know where you see the propane cook stoves.with an exhaust and CN on deck but all of the propane.cook stoves I have ever used (and not just on boats) the pot sits on the burner with the flame touching the pan. As far as gimbiling and fiddles well that is where your MacGyver kicks in make it yourself although I have heard the gimbal unit off another stove will work.
Old 15-12-2016, 18:20   #26

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

I've never seen a vented propane stove/oven on a boat
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 20:27   #27

Hmmm. Sort of right, sort of not. I am sticking with the venting of the propane system, but I guess not the stove, but in checking two boats tonight, both had chimneys, both had propane, both had been converted to propane, and the propane lockers were vented, but not the stoves/ovens themselves I really do not like propane, mostly because I have been in the past been involved (not as as victim) with two propane fires on RV's, and separately two deaths by asphyxiation apparently due to use of a propane heater, and been fairly near (otherwise not involved & not present) two propane explosions/fires (on boats). No others that apply right now.
Old 15-12-2016, 21:48   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Although I am, seemingly, the only one still interested, I would not want anyone to die because the thread contained potentially inaccurate information. I do not have a copy of what the manufacturer says, but came across a Q&A segment at the following site: Camp Chef Propane Camp Oven and Stove | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear

READ IT, AND USE IT "INSIDE" AT THE RISK OF DEATH. As far as I am concerned it is the choice of the individual, but it is not the way I choose to go, or provide the opportunity for others, even if it may be less unpleasant than many.
Old 15-12-2016, 22:07   #29

All the stoves discussed so far in this thread appear to have the gas bottle attached to (or installed inside) the stove. If this is the case, they have no place inside a boat.
Old 16-12-2016, 08:25   #30

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

I agree, none of these should be used inside a boat. Now if you wanted a stove to use up on deck to avoid heating up the cabin, these might work but would still be a poor choice.

As with the other poster, I've personally had two of these camp style (1 stove, and 1 grille) decide to start shooting flames upwards of 3-4ft out the top. No warnings just a quick hiss and a woosh! Keep in mind these are extremely cheap regulators not designed or quality tested to be used in a confined space. There is a reason you can buy the entire stove for $40, and the proper propane regulator for marine use costs about $55.

Copied right from their manual "For outdoor use only"

"This appliance can produce carbon monoxide which has no odor.
Using it in an enclosed space can kill you.
Never use this appliance in an enclosed space such as a camper,
tent, car or home."

" DO NOT leave this appliance unattended
while in use. The user must
remain in the immediate area of
the product and have a clear view
of the product at all times during
operation."

"Do not operate appliance under
ANY overhead construction.
Keep a minimum clearance of
1 foot (0.3 m) from the sides,
front and back of appliance to
ANY construction. Keep the area
clear of all combustible material
and flammable liquids, including
wood, dry plants and grass, brush,
paper, and canvas. Never use this
appliance within 25 ft. (7.5 m) of
any flammable liquid." That rules out all boats under about 40ft or so... The reason why they tell you not to operate under anything, is because when the regulator fails it shoots flames up from the stove top!!! Just like how my grill almost caught my mainsail on fire and singed it! My grill now lays on the bottom of Lake Michigan somewhere between Whitehall and Ludington.

So it sure seems like are really REALLY telling you to not use it in confined spaces specifically like a boat! There are no flame sensors thermo-couples or other safety devices on these units. How long do you think the brass connections on the propane hoses are going to last in a salty marine environment? Your insurance will not cover you with such a stove installed below decks. Your liability insurance against damaging other vessels from the resulting fire will not cover you. Nothing about these units meets the barest of ABYC or USCG safety codes.

I know this will not discourage many of you who like to look for cheap solutions to boating problems. I myself love to do that. However you are 100 times safer with the Origo style alcohol stoves in your boat than those propane camp stove cookers. Sure you may not like the fumes they may make your eyes water but not a chance of you blowing yourself up with it. At least you can smell the fumes from the alcohol stove, CO you can't smell...

At the very least get the stoves meant for RV's as these are at least designed to be used in confined spaces. They have an acceptable amount of CO emissions to be used indoors, and they have some of the necessary safety features to be used on a boat (BUT NOT ALL).

Tags
oil