Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2017, 04:03   #1

Boat: 40' steel Trawler
Good News For All Travelers

Actually it is "Great News"

Canada is celebrating its 150 Birthday this year, and as part of it's celebration, " Canada " is offering " FREE" Canal Lock Passages to All Boaters everywhere.

This is a great time to schedule your Spring, Summer, Fall Travel Plans,
and "Save" a "Bunch of Cash" doing what you love.

Please pass this great saving news on to all your boating friends and clubs.

Capt Nemo
Capt Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:07   #2

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Good News For All Travelers

Nothing is ever "free". Travellers to Canada will discover high prices and taxes on everything.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:15   #3

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

National parks passes are also free this year if you're interested in doing some touring away from the boat, I know I am!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:44   #4

Boat: Creekmore 34

Bgallinger...taxes are higher as is fuel, most other items are about the same +/-, BUT... the Canadian Dollar is low right now, so the American Peso goes a long way. Should be a fun summer in Canada, enjoy to all who visit [emoji1063]
riggear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:17   #5

Boat: Heritage 35

Does it apply to the Seaway locks? St Lawrence and Welland? If so it's a great deal.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:04   #6

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
Actually it is "Great News"

Canada is celebrating its 150 Birthday this year, and as part of it's celebration, " Canada " is offering " FREE" Canal Lock Passages to All Boaters everywhere.

This is a great time to schedule your Spring, Summer, Fall Travel Plans,
and "Save" a "Bunch of Cash" doing what you love.

Please pass this great saving news on to all your boating friends and clubs.

Capt Nemo
Happy birthday to my northern neighbors, oops, neighbours. Congratulations and I wish you another successful 150 years.

I almost forgot, I have to do this too;
Joyeux anniversaire à mes voisins du Nord
Félicitations et je vous souhaite un autre succès de 150 ans.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:16   #7

Boat: Hunter 37c

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
Nothing is ever "free". Travellers to Canada will discover high prices and taxes on everything.
This is one silly statement!! The US. dollar is worth $1.35 Canadian right now. I spend time in the US. and except for road fuel there is nothing I have noticed that is more expensive in Canada. Basically road fuel at $1 Can/litre is the equivalent of $3 US/US gallon. Almost everything else seems to be less, especially with the higher US. dollar.
Come on up here and enjoy friendly people, high levels of personal security, and watch your dollar go a long way. There are very few cultural surprises as we have very similar political and cultural institutions.
I will suggest that you lock your guns at home just because they are difficult to process through customs. Very few Canadians carry personal firearms so you won't really need them anyway.
Come on up and enjoy our summer!!!!!
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:40   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
Does it apply to the Seaway locks? St Lawrence and Welland? If so it's a great deal.
Unfortunately not, those are the Seaway. It's the Historic canals/locks that are free... IIRC, Chambly, St Ours, Carillon, Lachine, Ste Anne. And Federal parks.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:03   #9

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautitrix View Post
This is one silly statement!! The US. dollar is worth $1.35 Canadian right now. I spend time in the US. and except for road fuel there is nothing I have noticed that is more expensive in Canada. Basically road fuel at $1 Can/litre is the equivalent of $3 US/US gallon. Almost everything else seems to be less, especially with the higher US. dollar.
Come on up here and enjoy friendly people, high levels of personal security, and watch your dollar go a long way. There are very few cultural surprises as we have very similar political and cultural institutions.
I will suggest that you lock your guns at home just because they are difficult to process through customs. Very few Canadians carry personal firearms so you won't really need them anyway.
Come on up and enjoy our summer!!!!!
I've had some great times up in Canada. The 1000 Islands area is very nice and I've also done a fair bit of traveling in the Niagara Peninsula and Toronto areas, also nice. When I was traveling the exchange rate was around 40% and the deals were great, especially if I paid in cash U.S. It is a friendly place and worth going to. I was hoping to get to Superior and Georgian Bay this year but this work thing is beginning to interfere with my social and cruising life!

For those on the east coast, a trip up the Hudson, through Lake Champlain and up to the Montreal area is a very nice trip and not too long. you can also shoot across the Eire Canal and into Lake Ontario, the 1000 Islands, then run with the current down the St. Lawrence to Montreal and back down the Hudson. While the currents are definitely noticeable on the Hudson (Below Albany, NY), and the traffic around NYC is heavy, don't let it bother you; it's not that bad. Go and have a great trip. If you plan it right, you can return as the foliage changes in the fall and get quite the view. It will obviously change first up in Canada, and you can follow the change all the way down as it progresses.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:33   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
But you're forgetting that the $CAD is only worth $0.74 USD!!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:43   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Get way up in the NWT and you will discover high prices, because I assume the transportation costs.
This was in Inuvik in 2007, basically hotdogs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0006 (1).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	142776  
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:49   #12

Boat: Hunter 37c

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Get way up in the NWT and you will discover high prices, because I assume the transportation costs.
This was in Inuvik in 2007, basically hotdogs
To be fair, those prices are much higher now. I have lived up north but not that far. If you are in Alaska and want to get to Canada for the celebration I would definitely not go east. South down the inside to Washington is going to prove much cheaper. Wonder what the price of hot dogs is in Barrow, or Wainright.
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:14   #13

Boat: GibSea 472

Quote:
Yeah?
You benefit of a very favorable rate change between US and Canadian currencies: 33% more!..
Taxes in some places in US are also heavy, and regulations,, local taxes, marinas fees are not exactly given in Florida.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:33   #14

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
National parks passes are also free this year if you're interested in doing some touring away from the boat, I know I am!
I believe there was a time limit on National Parks offer which has now expired. You had to get your free pass very early. I got mine same day it was offered and i'm sure the offer ended soon after due to the huge number of applications. Also, I think that offer only applied to Canadian residents so don't get your hopes up.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:38   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
No, just the ones under Parks Canada’s jurisdiction, so the Rideau and the Trent-Severn. There’s also going to be a tall ship rendevouz with 40 ships sailing up and down the St. Lawrence, stopping at various locations. All 40 are planned to be in Quebec City July 18 to 23, but there are dozens of smaller events all up and down the Seaway and the Maritimes.

Tall ships race event for Canada Day in Quebec city | RDV 2017

Quote:
If you actually travelled to Canada you’d know the costs of most things are pretty similar. Notable exceptions are higher taxes on things like fuel and and booze, but as others have said, the US $ is 25 to 30% higher value right now. And if it really irks you, you can apply for a tax rebate.

Those taxes pay for such “free” things like healthcare and good roads.