Old 21-12-2014, 23:15   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Foldable Max prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Actually Sir, not entirely accurate.
The early ones had to be completely diassembled to change the pitch settings, x and y, "Classic" I believe the model designator was, from late 1980's abouts. There is a write up somewhere in this forum by me, so been there, dunnit.
Furthermore, these early ones did not have the grease nipples either, they were added in early 1990s, so for greasing, the boat had to be hauled out and prop disassembled. In this respect the newer ones are so much much more user friendly.
I am a PYI-recommended Max Prop installer. I have been performing underwater installations and repitches of Max Props for many years. It is my job. So when I tell you that the procedure for repitching a 20-year-old Classic is identical to the procedure for repitching a Classic that was sold yesterday, you can take that to the bank.

Yes, various Max Prop models have undergone small modifications and yes, new models have been added to the Max Prop lineup over the years. Some of these newer models have external pitch adjustments that do not require any disassembly of the prop. But that's not the point. The OP was asked if his Max Prop could have its pitch adjusted underwater. The answer is (again), that any Max Prop model can have its pitch adjusted underwater. And the procedure for doing this for any particular model has never changed.
Old 22-12-2014, 04:46   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think this is one of those, once you have a bunch of experience doing it, then yes you could do it underwater. I've only assisted with it once, on land. It seemed to me that we were trying to de-cipher a code what with the lining up letters and all.
Personally I wouldn't even attempt it underwater, I'd pull it, bring it up and put it on a picnic table as I've only done the one.
Old 22-12-2014, 08:00   #18
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Personally I wouldn't even attempt it underwater, I'd pull it, bring it up and put it on a picnic table as I've only done the one.
All the Classic and VP (Variable Pitch) models have to be installed by assembling them piece by piece on the prop shaft. You cannot assemble one topsides and then stick it on the shaft underwater.
Old 22-12-2014, 08:04   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So much for that theory then.
Old 22-12-2014, 08:36   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I am a PYI-recommended Max Prop installer. I have been performing underwater installations and repitches of Max Props for many years. It is my job. So when I tell you that the procedure for repitching a 20-year-old Classic is identical to the procedure for repitching a Classic that was sold yesterday, you can take that to the bank.

Yes, various Max Prop models have undergone small modifications and yes, new models have been added to the Max Prop lineup over the years. Some of these newer models have external pitch adjustments that do not require any disassembly of the prop. But that's not the point. The OP was asked if his Max Prop could have its pitch adjusted underwater. The answer is (again), that any Max Prop model can have its pitch adjusted underwater. And the procedure for doing this for any particular model has never changed.
You are wrong.
It's not the first time you spread erroneus information on this forum and raise yourself to an Uber god status on this forum scolding other members, and I seriously doubt PYI would recommend anyone behaving in such an unprofessional manner.
I'm done replying to you.
Merry Christmas to other members.
Old 22-12-2014, 08:44   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You are wrong.
It's not the first time you spread erroneus information on this forum and raise yourself to an Uber god status on this forum scolding other members, and I seriously doubt PYI would recommend anyone behaving in such an unprofessional manner.

Old 22-12-2014, 08:57   #22

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Hey there. I'll take it if it will fit my boat. I'm looking for a 15 or 16-inch diameter and a 1" shaft. It's a long shot........... but is that what this one is? Cheers.
Old 22-12-2014, 09:01   #23

Quote:
You are wrong.
I'm done replying to you.
Merry Christmas to other members.
Erik, what's your basis for saying this? Seems to me that fstbottoms' language is quite specific in that he's said the method is the same for any given model, not that it's the same for every max prop. Are you saying this is wrong, and if so, based on what? Seems like a pretty aggressive post! Looking at the max prop exploded diagrams, the design of the classic model (for instance) has changed very little over the years. That's not to say that other props haven't been designed and introduced to the line which are indeed vastly different.
Old 22-12-2014, 09:15   #24

I've had my max prop since 1985 and every time the boat is hauled I disassemble it and repack with grease. (no zirk fittings) I haul every 2 or 3 years so I've gone through this process a dozen times and each time I have to review the process and find it difficult lining up the blades without an extra pair of hands not to mention locating the proper letters obscured by the fresh grease. While I'm a certified scuba diver, I can't imagine doing this under water, however, fast bottoms has done this many more times than I and I have no doubt that is can be done underwater.
Old 22-12-2014, 13:58   #25

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
Hey there. I'll take it if it will fit my boat. I'm looking for a 15 or 16-inch diameter and a 1" shaft. It's a long shot........... but is that what this one is? Cheers.
Yes, it is at least 16 inch in diameter and tomorrow I will know about the shaft...but where are you? That is a heavy metal piece and I have to see how much will cost to ship it to you. Most important is the HP of your engine. How many HP?
Old 23-12-2014, 06:10   #26

Boat: Comet 41s

I received from Italy the diameter of the shaft: 28.40mm but I have to apologize to all, with that I also received the information that my propeller was not a Max prop, as I thought, but a J prop, a very similar propeller made in Italy, this one:

Old 23-12-2014, 10:14   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I received from Italy the diameter of the shaft: 28.40mm but I have to apologize to all, with that I also received the information that my propeller was not a Max prop, as I thought, but a J prop, a very similar propeller made in Italy, this one:

Ah OK thanks. Unfortunately that won't work. 28.4mm is over 1" and i can only fit a 16" prop because of clearance to the hull. Thanks anyway though. Good luck selling!