Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2016, 11:35   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: AutoProp 3 Blade RH feathering Prop

I think your going to find that only real answer is to find a boat it will fit on.
I bet a new shaft machined to fit would cost less than converting the prop
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 19:39   #17

Boat: Kaufman 47

Any way you can get a pair of calipers on it? Where is the shaft it came from, possibly measure that?
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 19:52   #18
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Any way you can get a pair of calipers on it? Where is the shaft it came from, possibly measure that?
It came off a Beneteau Oceanis 400, which has a 30mm shaft. There is no need to measure.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 21:37   #19

I read that, I just don't know much about Beneteau. Do they not market boats for the US with imperial shafts?

I have a 1.25" shaft so that's why I was curious.. And I'm sort of in the market for a new wheel.
Old 28-09-2016, 21:54   #20
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
I read that, I just don't know much about Beneteau. Do they not market boats for the US with imperial shafts?
They do not.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 02:01   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Autoprops are self-pitching, and each prop is specifically designed for a particular boat/engine combination. Brunton consider not only the displacement of the boat, but the LWL, and some other factors, in designing each prop. That's one reason why they are so expensive.

The self-pitching profile can't be adjusted, unlike the pitch on something like a MaxProp, so it would be a bad idea to try to adapt an Autoprop to a different boat, than for the one it was designed. The shaft size is the least of the problems here.

This prop will be good for a Beneteau 400 with the same engine as the one in the OP's boat, but not for other boats.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 06:07   #22

CampDavid is correct, looks to be a 30mm prop shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160929_090355.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	131996  
MrNoSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 06:26   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
They do not.
Alright, thanks fstbttms. Dockhead, thanks for the other information regarding the autoprop. I have only looked at the feathering props similar to max prop so I don't have much knowledge of the autoprop.
Old 29-09-2016, 07:06   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Autoprops are self-pitching, and each prop is specifically designed for a particular boat/engine combination. Brunton consider not only the displacement of the boat, but the LWL, and some other factors, in designing each prop. That's one reason why they are so expensive.

The self-pitching profile can't be adjusted, unlike the pitch on something like a MaxProp, so it would be a bad idea to try to adapt an Autoprop to a different boat, than for the one it was designed. The shaft size is the least of the problems here.

This prop will be good for a Beneteau 400 with the same engine as the one in the OP's boat, but not for other boats.

You know I'm 99% sure mine came off the shelf, yes they do take all those factors into account and it's my belief that if they don't have something off the shelf that will work, then they will custom profile blades, but they don't often have to do that.
I say mine came off the shelf cause it came from a US vendor and I had it in a week or so, if it was custom built I think it would have taken longer.
Also I believe Defender stocks Autoprops, although they may just be a vendor I don't know.

I'd bet mine would work on a 40' Hunter for example with the same engine and gearbox ratio.
Old 29-09-2016, 07:17   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Alright, thanks fstbttms. Dockhead, thanks for the other information regarding the autoprop. I have only looked at the feathering props similar to max prop so I don't have much knowledge of the autoprop.

They are awfully expensive and to my knowledge there is nothing to compare them to, they are simply more efficient than any other feathering prop and come into their own when motorsailing.
However they are expensive and do need to be maintained, and do have slightly more drag when sailing than most folding or feathering props.

If you motor a lot or motorsail a lot then in my opinion they are worthwhile, if you just motor out of your slip but always sail, save your money.

There are also a couple of different designs of Autoprop, I believe one design got a bad rep from slinging blades, which of course can do extensive damage as well as immediately leaving you with no propulsion.

If it were me, any used feathering prop, I would consider the cost of overhaul by a authorized service center into the price of the prop
Old 29-09-2016, 07:30   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
They are awfully expensive and to my knowledge there is nothing to compare them to, they are simply more efficient than any other feathering prop and come into their own when motorsailing.
However they are expensive and do need to be maintained, and do have slightly more drag when sailing than most folding or feathering props.

If you motor a lot or motorsail a lot then in my opinion they are worthwhile, if you just motor out of your slip but always sail, save you money.

There are also a couple of different designs of Autoprop, I believe one design got a bad rep from slinging blades, which of course can do extensive damage as well as immediately leaving you with no propulsion.

If it were me, any used feathering prop, I would consider the cost of overhaul by a authorized service center into the price of the prop
The Autoprop is brilliant for cruising sailboats, because of their incomparably great performance when motorsailing, and ability to adapt to different power demands in different conditions.

However, they have some drawbacks, too. One of them is that they produce quite a lot of drag when sailing. This is not good for higher performance sailboats.

Another drawback is that they require a fair amount of maintenance, so they are costly to maintain as well as costly to acquire. I've rebuilt mine three times (!) in seven years. The first two times, it was done at the factory. The last time I did it myself because of premature failure of the thrust bearings due to brinelling of the bearing races. You have to grease them, keep a close eye on the seals, and as massive lumps of bronze, they eat anodes.

The maintenance is costly, but not unpleasant. They are quite beautiful things to take apart, sort of like Lewmar winches or a fine shotgun.

I would never want to go back to fixed pitch props, but my next boat won't have an Autoprop. It will have a Hundested prop, the pitch of which is controlled by the operator, rather than automatically.

I agree with A64's comment about figuring in the cost of an overhaul, with any used Autoprop purchase, or at least the parts kit.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 07:03   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
It came off a Beneteau Oceanis 400, which has a 30mm shaft. There is no need to measure.
Correct. Shaft diameter is 30mm.

Prop diameter is 470mm
MrNoSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 12:01   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

Auyoprop is a good propeller however expensive to buy and expensive to fix
For value in that size rang look at a new Kiwi . Less money and trouble free

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 blade