Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2017, 03:34   #1

Are there any Trinka 10 sailors on board?

Just bought a used one and could use some advice/instructions
Thanks, David
tanton37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 06:24   #2

Boat: Creekmore 34
Re: Are there any Trinka 10 sailors on board?

I have the Trinka 8 (foredeck isn't big enough for the 10) rows Great, fun to sail. My only concern is not enough buoyancy if swamped Or capsized. I added swim noodles under the thwart and beside the dagger board well. Well made boat
riggear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 07:13   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanton37 View Post
Thanks, David
I have one and love it. What are you looking for?

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 07:56   #4

Boat: Tartan 40

Yup we have a trinka 10. Love it though mast is heavy and makes it slightly tippy.
Thinking of making a carbon mast from windsurfer mast in off-season

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 16:54   #5

Thanks all for the replies thus far. So I took it out for the second time yesterday sailing in light to moderate winds and proceeded to capsize in an unexpected puff. Once the mast sunk I had a devil of a time rerighting it using all of my mere 168 lbs on the very end of the dagger board. And then could not reboard to bail her out as she was too low in the water.
I am absolutely in love with the looks/lines of the boat and how it moves under the slightest hint of wind and the responsiveness and the ease of rowing but I'm not so sure it can serve as an effective tender because of these traits. I suspect it tows very well but haven't tried it yet. I intend to order some inflatable dinghy dogs to hopefully alleviate the tenderness issues at the expense of the boats good looks and I would be most interested in hearing how you would execute the switch to a carbon fiber mast as that would help. Also thinking of drilling a small hole at each end of both sections and shooting in bit of spray foam to prevent it from filling with water and sinking as it was initially buoyant for a minute or two.
Also curious as to how you seat yourself under sail so that you can effectively and quickly move to the other side when tacking. I'm 60 but still pretty agile but I find it very difficult within the constraints of the small area behind the center board and the arc of the tiller and the lowness of the boom.
A couple other complaints that I intend to remedy is the rudder is not captive in any way and floated off so I will be drilling and putting a clip through the pintle or a hinged gate above the top gudgeon.
Anyway as smitten as I am I am not totally enamored and would greatly appreciate any and all advice on how to make this a better experience. In all fairness I must admit up till now I have sailed only keel boats and this is my first sailing dingy.
Cheers, David
Old 31-08-2017, 17:05   #6

Boat: Creekmore 34

Yes, had same problem when swamped, hence swim noodle posting earlier.
I got rid of the stupid wooden floor boards so it's much easier to move around when sailing. That being said, I cruise warm water area, so don't worry about wet feet..
My Trinka 8 tows Fantastic. I have no self bailer, so never Tow any distance. Don't forget a floating tow line lol. My rudder has safety clip already
riggear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 17:17   #7

My rudder has a clip. I find it pretty stable without sailing rig. No issues. Thought about rigging a few dark blue fenders along gunwale if need be as fenders and floatation but don't need it.
I was going to rip a slot in PVC tubing and epoxy onto carbon windsurfing mast. Need to figure out base extension that will fit into trinka mast step.
And yeah- get rid of wooden floors. Beautiful but make it way to shallow. I sit on middle seat and use tiller extension

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-09-2017, 01:14   #8

Also....is it normal for the mast to rotate in the mast step.....doesn't appear to be a way of securing it so it can't.
At what wind strength do you put in a reef.......? How much is too much
I find it strange that such a well established and premium builder has absolutely no website presence or information
Old 01-09-2017, 01:44   #9

Ooops......my mistake. .....just found the website.....
Old 01-09-2017, 04:28   #10

I called them 2 years ago when I bought mine used and they said they are no longer making trinkas. Apparent consumer demand is all inflatables because no one wants to row anymore.
Yes th mast rotates. No big deal. I do tie a cord from downhaul cleat on mast to the bow cleat to prevent mast from falling out. It likes to reef early- 10-12 knots- as it is pretty powered up.
Seriously give it more time. I use it as primary tender on davits for our boat with wife and 2 kids and love that most of time we can row (hence no need to lower outboard, etc). Always makes me laugh whenI see folks struggle for 15 min lowernig their RIB and fighting a 15 hp engine onto transom just to go 200 yards at idle speed. But they laugh I guess when they zoom by when the destination is further.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:19   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanton37 View Post
Thanks, David
Congratulations on your find I have been trying to find a good used Trinka 8 or 10 sailing dinghy for some time. I have been studying them and the Dyer Dhow's etc and too love the look of the Trinkas. They are still being built and infact have a booth at Annapolis sail show next month. I have seen many people put the fenders or some form of inflatable on the sides however that will kill the beauty that draws you to them in the first place.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail