Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2018, 19:34   #1

80 HP engine complete

I need to replace my Lehman 80 and looking for a complete rebuilt or new replacement engine

With or without gearbox

Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 07:15   #2

Boat: 53' Cutter
Re: 80 HP engine complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
I need to replace my Lehman 80 and looking for a complete rebuilt or new replacement engine

With or without gearbox
Having just gone down that trail...

Is the Lehman you have not viable for rebuild? If it can be rebuilt, that is likely the better option. You can find a local diesel shop to do the work, or Bomac can do it (expensive in my book), or Logan Diesel can do it. And just about every part can also be found at American Diesel Corp.

If it cannot be rebuilt for some reason, Logan Diesel will sell you one of theirs (cheaper than Bomac), and will still accept your non-rebuildable core.

Otherwise, there are diesel shops here and there that might have a one (rebuilt or a runner) sitting on the shelf, but you will need to call around and/or search the internet. It took me about 5 weeks to find my replacement searching almost daily.

Since they stopped building the Lehmans in 1981, if you want to spend a LOT of money and get a new engine, you can always go with a Perkins, Beta, Vetus, Shire, or Yanmar spending at least $15,000 for the engine plus the headaches (and cost) of new beds, instruments, wiring, alignment, etc.

SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 09:38   #3

Quote:

With or without gearbox
I've been looking at used diesel's at OutboardBali Store. Look under the, used, inboard and stern drives. I have not done business with them however can't comment on customer service.
https://outboardbali.com
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 22:40   #4

The biggest problem is that I am in the Philippines so importing an engine is an expensive proposition, and if I was going down this road it would be a Beta as there is a Dealer here in the Subic Duty free zone.

There are machine shops that can rebuild a tractor engine, but it is the quality of the work that is my concern. Shops full of bent screwdrivers, loose hammers, and working on the floor do not inspire confidence. I am even having trouble finding someone with a compression tester and torque wrenches to do some simple diagnostic work!

Given infinite patience to deal with the shops and suppliers I could do it myself but those two traits are in short supply these days so I am stuck dealing with the locals.

If the red lump has to come out, I am not so keen on taking the gamble that any rebuild could be done here to the standard that I would want.
Having said that, they do rebuild tractor engines daily.........
Old 14-03-2018, 23:55   #5

Boat: plastic production yacht, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Don't know any Ford Lehmans for sale at the moment but here is some info you might be interested in. Beta engine based on Kubota
https://www.boatsales.com.au/editori...a-bv3800-8336/
Or if you could find a Perkins 4.236 or a newer Perkins 90 (or 110) Phaser engine, all similar in size and output. I have or have had all these three models, all very reliable, heavy, and low revving.
see the top 2 entries here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Perkins_engines

Of course, when changing the engine model, one needs to change quite a few things, maybe too many; therefore re-condition might be an easier option. Another advantage, staying with low tech..... is easier to recon and easier to repair later on.

addit: maybe a Cummings 4BT could fit in, again a heavy low tech engine (earlier models), but to source a 2nd hand one locally in good condition.....but you never know your luck if you don't look.
Old 15-03-2018, 07:30   #6

Boat: 53' Cutter

Quote:
Having said that, they do rebuild tractor engines daily.........
Your Lehman base engine is a Ford 4-254 tractor engine. Lehman installed the marinization parts (raw water pump, header tank, exhaust manifold, oil coolers, heat exchanger, and alternator.)

So if they can competently rebuild a Ford tractor engine....

Of course, if they are rebuilding tractor engines daily, is that because there are lots of tractors, or are they rebuilding the same engines prematurely due to parts or workmanship? Most competent diesel shops are always busy, so it is something to consider.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 21:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailsWithFists View Post
Your Lehman base engine is a Ford 4-254 tractor engine. Lehman installed the marinization parts (raw water pump, header tank, exhaust manifold, oil coolers, heat exchanger, and alternator.)

So if they can competently rebuild a Ford tractor engine....

Of course, if they are rebuilding tractor engines daily, is that because there are lots of tractors, or are they rebuilding the same engines prematurely due to parts or workmanship? Most competent diesel shops are always busy, so it is something to consider.
Competently is the part that concerns me.....

Tags
engine