Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 20:31   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1350
18.6m Carbon Fibre Rotating Mast - Damaged - Brisbane Australia

I am selling a carbon fibre rotating mast that would suit a performance multihull.

It was built in 2000 by John Hughes in Auckland New Zealand and was on a 13.5m Schionning Waterline Catamaran until 2014.

The mast is carbon fibre over a western red cedar core, is 18.6m long, has two sets of spreaders and upper jumpers and comes with all of the standing rigging. Forestay including furler, 10mm Dyform cap shrouds and all intermediate wires. Mast track and cars, rotating base and spanner.

The mast came down in October 2014 - the failure was due to a cap shroud toggle failing at the top of the mast, which caused the whole mast to come down. As the boat was under sail at the time, when the mast and sails hit the water the impact and the handbrake effect caused the mast to break. The break is around 750mm above the gooseneck fitting and is a fairly clean separation. Repair would be fairly straightforward for someone who is familiar with working with carbon fibre - I had three people selected who could all do the repair job in Brisbane quoting between $7,000 and $12,000 for the full repair - but I elected to go with a fixed alloy mast instead. I can pass on the details of these repairers.

Note that the mast did not fail due to breaking - the fitting failure caused the mast to come down and the mast then broke when hitting the water. The mast is very strong and was a great part of this performance yacht for 14 years, being sailed hard and being seen as bulletproof by owner and crew.

Happy to explain more about the mast, the failure and the current condition to any genuine interested purchasers. This would make a great mast for a performance project on a budget - it would get you a rotating carbon mast fully rigged and sailing for a fraction of the new cost. I also have the sails and can talk to interested parties about these too, they are damaged but could be repaired.

Price is negotiable, happy to consider all serious offers - mast is currently in Lytton in Brisbane and inspection can be arranged. PM me on here for any more info.

Tags
Australia, brisbane, mast, rot