Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2006, 14:36   #1

XM Radio & Sirius Radio

Does anyone have experience with XM or Sirius radio off shore. According to the web site XM works off US shore but not into Mexico..
I think this would be a great addition to anyone's boat.
Let me know!
Princewig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 14:54   #2

We received Siruius in Bermuda all the way t Antigua with some antenna fiddling.

Jef
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 15:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef
We received Siruius in Bermuda all the way t Antigua with some antenna fiddling.

Jef
What type of fiddling dod you do with te antenna?
Thanks!
Princewig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 15:52   #4

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
I recieve XM in the Channel Islands off the S. Cal. coast

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 14:55   #5
cruiser

Satellite radio

Sattellite radio was a huge dissapointment .
I was really looking foreward to it. You cannot get satellite radio if you don't have a credit card. Having never taken a bank loan and never paid a penny of bank interest in my life, I'm not elligible for access to satellite radio. I'm a second class citizen according to the satellite radio fascists. There is also no way to get satellite radio without contributing to the pockets of racist slime balls like Howard Stern(um). or military propagandists like FOX news and CNN.
They can shove it where the sun don't shine.
Does any body know anything about DRM? Is it the same as Satellite radio?
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 15:28   #6

http://www.drm.org/system/technicalaspect.php
This site explains pretty well what it is. Satellite radio isn't alone Brent, I bet most fascists would think of you as a second class citizen! I don't see why you can't just be a slave like everybody else. Geez Brent, it's the 21st century! Freedom to pursue your own interests in your own way has been gone for at least 50 years!
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 16:50   #7

Boat: C&C 27
I've been an XM listener for about a year now. I can't report on off shore use but I'm headed out to Chihuahuan Desert in the morning and I will let you know how it performs on the trip there. I expect no troubles. As for format XM is fairly democratic (Richard Blain to Louis Renault definition) in that you can find something to please or offend you on one or more of the channels. It's your choice. Sirius has the benefit of Radio Margaritaville if you are a Parrot Head.

I use it primarily for trips where station hunting is a pain in the butt or to listen to a specific genre of music like blue grass, blues or reggae that has little airplay, even in a big market like Houston. When sailing I manage to get the signal on a RoadyII with the antenna inside the boat along the Texas coast.

pv

"I have only two words for people who want to return to the 'good old days'... modern dentistry" P.J. O'Rourke from All the Troubles in the World
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 00:53   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
No ~ Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) is nothing like satelite radio (it’s a direct competitor).

”Europe Dithers Over Digital Radio” ~ By Michael Dumiak
From the IEE “Spectrum” (Oct 2006)
Is the continent's digital AM and shortwave system stillborn or still to be born?
It’s been a year since Digital Radio Mondiale was supposed to spark a revolution. Shiny new radios would come fitted with DRM technology to receive a new, higher-quality digital signal for shortwave and AM broadcasting. That in turn would pave the way for all-digital airwaves—first in Europe, and then in Asia, Latin America, and North America.
It never happened...

Goto: http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/oct06/4660

See also, the DRM Web site: www.drm.org

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 09:14   #9

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
Coverage for us has been great with both systems. Catalina from San Diego and down to Ensinada, maybe further we haven't been yet. I have heard people call in from the Caribean talking about sitting on their boat enjoying sirius. I have been told by a couple delivery capt about picking up a signal as far offshore as 700 miles. For us it really came down to programing. We started off with XM and were not too happy quickly switching to sirius..
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 15:01   #10
cruiser

satelite radio

Freedom is only dead for those who let it die.
I hear they turn sirius off whenever it crosses the equator for fear of violating anyones sovereignty. Thaty is not the case with shortwave so why should it be the case for satellite radio?
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 15:08   #11

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Question Speaking of free

I know this is kinda off topic, but does anyone know if NPR broadcasts on shortwave?

If so, might be an alternitive to satiliete radio......

...I like some of the features, but can't get past the idea of paying for radio! (other then voluntary contributions).
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 15:18   #12

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
oops....

Sorry, found my answer..... here it is in case it would help anyone else.

"NPR on short-wave
American Forces Network broadcasts a few hours of NPR Worldwide programming each day on its
shortwave schedule.

Please note that these shortwave broadcasts are on upper side band, and can only be heard on radios capable of receiving single side band signals.
Transmitter LocationBandDaytimeEvening
Key West, FL
Upper Side Band12133.5 kHz and 5446.5 kHz 2133.5 kHz and 5446.5 kHz kHz
Guam (Barrigada)
Upper Side Band13362.0 kHz5765.0 kHz
Diego Garcia
Upper Side Band12579.0 kHz4319.0 kHz
Keflavik, Iceland
Upper Side Band10320.0 kHz6350.0 kHz
Pearl Harbor, HI
Upper Side Band10320.0 kHz6350.0 kHz"
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 02:07   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Both Sirius & XM Satellite* radio are intended (and licenced) to provide service to only North America.
Siruis utilizes inclined elliptical geosynchronous orbiting satellites, which provide a larger coverage area than XM’s geostationary satellites.
Neither system actually “turns off” their up-down link at the equator ~ the satellites just lose their line-of-site.

Notwithstanding, as currently configured, Sirius is generally available through Mexico & Pueto Rico, while XM has an even smaller footprint.

Satellite Radio Coverage Maps:
http://www.dogstarradios.com/sirasasecoma.html

All communications satellites are space-based repeaters that receive an uplinked signal, which is translated to another frequency and retransmitted back to earth.

There are two basic ways to cover a given area with satellites. The traditional approach is to put up a geostationary satellite over the desired area. Geostationary satellites are put into a circular orbit around the equator about 22,300 miles from earth. In such an orbit, the satellite speed matches the rotation of the earth, so the satellite is always overhead to any observer or station on earth. Sirius' competitor XM Radio uses this system with two satellites providing full U.S. coverage. The equatorial geostationary orbit is unique and currently jammed with satellites side by side only a few degrees apart. As with the frequency spectrum, we're simply running out of space.

Sirius takes the other approach of using elliptical orbits. The company has three elliptical orbits over the U.S. They are geosynchronous, meaning that their rotational period is 24 hours just like a geostationary satellite. The satellite apogee (high point) is 29,200 miles over Canada and the perigee (low point) is 14,900 miles. The orbits function in a way where two satellites are over the U.S. at all times. The satellites are spaced eight hours from one another, and each satellite is over the U.S. for about 16 hours. All three transmit the same data.

The elliptical orbits offer the advantage of a very high angle of coverage. With a conventional geostationary satellite, the line-of-sight path runs at a very low angle of elevation above the equator (about 30̊) to the south from the U.S. Because microwave transmissions are direct-line-of-sight, signals from geostationary satellites encounter many more obstacles like trees and buildings. With elliptical orbits, the satellites are more directly overhead (always above 60̊) and thereby avoid most earth obstacles. Yet at such distances, the attenuation from satellite to earth is enormous.

Under current international satellite-licensing regulations, a geostationary orbiting satellite has priority over a non-geostationary orbiting satellite.

Interoperable Technologies is a company that is actually working with both SIRIUS and XM to create a dual-service receiver that supposedly is nearing production. Interoperable Technologies has gone and filed for a patent to operate a dual-service receiver via a cellphone/PDA.
More: http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...DN/20060240811

* Digital Audio Radio Service (DARS)

Old 25-11-2006, 17:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Interoperable Technologies is a company that is actually working with both SIRIUS and XM to create a dual-service receiver that supposedly is nearing production. Interoperable Technologies has gone and filed for a patent to operate a dual-service receiver via a cellphone/PDA.
More: http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...DN/20060240811

* Digital Audio Radio Service (DARS)
That's an interesting patent application.

Basically, it covers a way for your phone/PDA to have the subscription instead of your receiver. You can have as many receivers as you want, but only the one that is near your phone/PDA works. As you move from place to place (e.g. from house to car), it disables the receiver you are moving away from and enables the one you are moving toward. The patent also mentions the possibility of receivers in "public" places (e.g. hotels, restauraunts) that your phone/PDA could attach to, possibily for an extra fee.

Of course, this represents a tremendous data-mining opportunity for the service provider (since it gets regular messages about your movements and which channels you are listening to).

b.t.w. This doesn't mean you can use your phone/PDA to activate your friend's receiver. They thought of that, and how they might either prevent it or charge you extra for it.
Old 20-02-2007, 05:19   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sirius & XM Merger?

$13B U.S. deal aims for satellite radio monopoly
Betting that regulators will let it go ahead, the two players in satellite radio have signed an all-stock merger valued at $13 billion US.
The combination of Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio would create a monopoly in the business of beaming commercial-free music and other programming from earth orbit to people willing to buy a special radio and pay fees of about $15 Cdn a month.

Goto CBC News: CBC.ca Arts - $13B U.S. deal aims for satellite radio monopoly

Tags
radio