Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2015, 07:53   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Wind Songs

A few years ago, I did a series of outside gigs with friends for the Salvation army in Florida. A rock fest for raising money for a local need.

Everything worked, the Fender Strat, the keyboards, all except my Martin d-28L acoustic which was unplayable. The humidity did a number on it.

Talking with a local Luthier, he said a few guitars were susceptible to moisture.(I am left handed so I first suspected it might be that the lefties were not made the same. It was not the case).

I chopped it in for 2 Yamaha acoustics and some cash.

Strangely enough, I never got used to the Martin or Taylors for that matter. Incredible tone but I never bonded.

I do like Yamahas. Bright and rich and eminently playable.

Personally, I think after my experience, I would be cautious about taking it on the boat. It probably would never face the extreme humidity I faced on those 3 days. Would not hold its tune no matter what.

They are prone to humidity issues. Lots of info on the web regarding the matter.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 08:00   #17
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I too have some musical instuments. Three mandolins and two violins. Two of the mandos are acoustic, hollow body wood, and one of the fiddles is acoustic.

I'm also a lifelong woodworker. And I think people paranoid about the effects of taking fine instruments to sea are not looking at the issue correctly. The problems with humidity and wooden instruments is not the humidity per se, the problems are from changes in the humidity. Wood expands to various degrees when humidity increases, and it contracts when humidity decreases. When I was building furniture in New England I had a lot more trouble with table tops and edge joined pieces than I ever had in Houston. The difference is that the humidity on Cape Cod goes from 90% in the summer to down less than 50% on some bitter cold high pressure weeks in the winter. Woodworkers have to build things allowing for expansion and contraction. If you glue up a tight table top in the summer, it will open up with cracks in the winter. OR if you move it to Arizona. Conversely, if you build it up tight in the dry winter in front of a fireplace, it will swell up and buckle in the humid summer months. And it does take some time to happen. The wood doesn't soak up or change moisture content overnight. You can wash your guitar down with a wet rag, no prob, right?

Now think about life at sea. You don't have these drastic humidity changes. You now live in a humid climate. I think in many regards it's actually better for some wood due to the relative stability of the humidity. It's not constantly expanding and contracting due to drastic long term seasonal humidity changes. And a week long rainstorm or dry spell isn't going to hurt it. You'd fly transatlantic from the Mediterranean to Denver with it without a worry, right?

I've lived on Providenciales for ten years now, looking at the ocean. I've had stringed instruments I brought down from the US the entire time. My wife has an expensive KOA ukulele I bought her, made in Hawaii, and they actually included a little humidifier bottle with it to KEEP it humidified.

The only issues I've had have been steel strings rusting when not played for a while. E-strings especially like to pop and there's usually a rusty spot up between the nut and the tuners. I've found that going over the strings with something like olive oil in the areas where you don't normally touch them seems to help.

So my vote is to not worry about the humidity. Yeah, keep the salt water off it, but you're going to do that anyhow. You'll see less wood warpage on a boat than you would driving cross country in an RV with it.

Hey, if you're worried, buy a cheaper guitar and watch that for a year to see if it hurts it. Once you know what to expect, bring your favorite ax on board.

I'm willing to bet there have been a few Stradivarius on some ocean liners for months at sea over the centuries. And they did not have the high tech varnishes of today. With absolutely no issues.
Old 19-11-2015, 08:18   #18

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

I would have to agree that the more or less constant humidity environment of the boat is not that bad. Extreme heat and humidity is not good. That is how one disassembles wood instruments for repairs.

I have played a few Rainsong guitars and really liked them. Different tone than a wood guitar, but an appealing tone none the less.

I keep a cheap mandolin on board and frequently bring my guitar and violin on the boat. So far so good. I have a full size cello that stays at home, it is just too damn big. But maybe someday I'll get one of those carbon fiber ones.
Old 19-11-2015, 20:56   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
That has to be one of the most selfish posts I've read in a while, I've dumped people for trying to tell me to give up music!
A musician is not something you do, it's something you are!
Hey we have different opinions that's because I am passionate about sailing and not music. I might not understand your passion and you wouldn't understand mine. It was just a suggestion mate. Anyway, I hope you have a musical day
Anna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 00:46   #20

Boat: Jeanneau DS 49

I have had a Rainsong for almost 6 years without a problem, Of course I've only been sailing the 'South Pacific and I am terrible at it but the guitar sounds great and never has problems. I only hope someday to play it well
Old 20-11-2015, 03:02   #21

Been sailing for over 40 years........
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 20:15   #22

Quote:
Good for you!
Anna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 11:44   #23

Boat: 39' folkes Steet Cutter

Love my Rain Song.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave in Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 17:54   #24

Boat: Jeanneau DS 49

Quote:
I've only sailed 45+ years but still the I am in love of my Rainsong. I don't think age is a problem
Old 06-02-2016, 08:54   #25

Boat: MacGregor/Venture 25

I've been reading this with great interest as I have a couple Martins that I want to take to liveaboard with me...I was thinking of buying waterproof cases to keep them in when they're not being played. There are several to choose from...Ideas?
Mtngeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:09   #26

I would not take a valuable or favorite guitar on board. There are some great playing cheaper guitars today. I took an old Ovation with the plastic back with me. It's very damp humid environment, not to mention the occasional ship leak or the salt air corrosion of metal.
However, if you can be anal about cleaning, wiping and storing you could do it successfully. I would probably want a case of some sort with no fabric inside, so the fabric doesn't absorb moisture.
I wonder if there are some sort of humidifier cases that one could use....?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
songs, wind