Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2012, 11:27   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Wifi in Marigot Bay SXM?

We have a bullet and are finding lots of stations but none seem to work. If anyone has any advise on getting wifi out in the anchorage feel free to pm me. Probably going to move into the lagoon tomorrow but stay on French side.
Old 18-12-2012, 11:55   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Wifi in marigot bay SXM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
We have a bullet and are finding lots of stations but none seem to work. If anyone has any advise on getting wifi out in the anchorage feel free to pm me. Probably going to move into the lagoon tomorrow but stay on French side.
I was there a few months ago, I got very good signal anchored close to the entrance to the marina but it was not free..
C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 12:02   #3

I don't mind paying. We cleared in at fort Louis marina and I see their wifi on the bullet but the guy at the desk said he could not guarantee it would work and would not be able to refund me if it did not. IVe heard that fort Louis doesn't always work even though their router is up. Who did you deal with? Suggestions for inside the lagoon?
Old 18-12-2012, 12:29   #4

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Wifi in marigot bay SXM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
I don't mind paying. We cleared in at fort Louis marina and I see their wifi on the bullet but the guy at the desk said he could not guarantee it would work and would not be able to refund me if it did not. IVe heard that fort Louis doesn't always work even though their router is up. Who did you deal with? Suggestions for inside the lagoon?
I did not pay so I cannot tell you how well it works. Inside the Lagoon there was free wifi in a bar on the Western shore of the lagoon. You should be able to get it with the Bullet; I do not have a bullet so I just went close by with the dinghy...
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 13:06   #5

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Wifi in Marigot Bay SXM?

Move your boat close to the ferry dock , about 400 meters , not inside , between the entrance to Port Louis marina and the main road , get your dingy down and visit Geminga Boat Yard , is located close to port la royale, between JMC boatyard and Port la royale, in Geminga ask in the bar for a wifi card , 1 week, 1 day, 15 days or 1 month, 1 month is 30 euros, the antena is located hig in the roof of the ofice and is oriented to Marigot harbour but beware that hotels and obstructions weak the signal, thats why i recomend you to move between port louis and the main road, the signal is strong enough to surf the web and check mails , hope this help.....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 14:05   #6

Funny thing is I see geminga on my bullet and it is not encrypted but when I connect there is no throughput. Gonna move into the lagoon tomorrow as a north swell is coming end of the week and my kids want to sail opti's with the Smyc kids. Will hope for better luck there. I did find a weak signal out here in Marigot but it only seems to work at night.
Old 18-12-2012, 14:30   #7

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

In the french side of the lagoon im not sure if you are going to found some free signal, i be anchored close to fantasy island and nothing , just a weak netgear...
Close to the french bridge in laggon side you are able to get strong Geminga signal.
In the ducht side i dont know, probably ...

Some input.
Chanel.4
chanel plan . fcc
wireless mode b/g

good luck...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 01:46   #8
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Ted,
Last year I spent time in the lagoon near Grand Islet. There was no free wifi to be found then and we had to resort dingy trips to use bars or bakeries.
Lyndon
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 01:58   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I anchor way inside, close to the ferry dock, all the time. There are lots of signals but getting connectivity is difficult. I also have a Bullet WiFi antenna. I could connect to the (encrypted, but with known password) of "La Sucriére" but their signal is rather weak since their antenna/transmitter is set inwards into the patio area. La Sucriére is a good place for breakfast with free WiFi and they also have power plugs - but it is a good idea to bring an extension cord with multiple outlets to ensure getting a power source.
I tried one of the pay-for-time WiFi connections, the one coming out of the Fort Louis Marina and was disappointed with the connectivity and speed despite a powerful signal.

Once you get into the lagoon the situation for free WiFi is worse. I would head to Grand Case where there are 3 or 4 open sources with decent speeds - by decent I mean sufficient for mail and browsing but not quite enough for clear Skype.
Old 19-12-2012, 02:39   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wifi in Marigot Bay SXM?

I'll second La Suciere... nice place to surf...
Dutchside I used to use Shrimpys from the boat or sometimes the bar when thirsty... but he aint there no more.
There's also a nice Turkish cafe across the road from Palapa towards the bridge that does ace food... oh and free wifi..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 02:35   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 57

boatman61 - Shrimpy's is now located at the French bridge, right across from where the little Budget Marine and the gas station is located.

The old Shrimpys is now called "Barnacles" and they have free WiFi but it is encoded and the change the password infrequently - but have a couple of drinks or some of their incredible ribs and you'll get their password.