Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2018, 11:25   #61

Boat: 1999 Celestial 50
Re: Whats the RULES!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Rule Number One: Stay on the boat.
Rule Number Two: See Rule Number One.
Rule Number Three: No walking on water, it tends to start religions.
Rule Number Four: No swimming without a lifeguard. (Which we don't have.)

Pretty flexible about all the rest.
Same rules, with one exception: if you go up on the bow, stretch out your arms and proclaim that you are “King of the World!”...
...then I throw you overboard.
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 12:07   #62

Hmm, so it seems that most folks are fairly reasonable and only a few boats I wouldn't care to step foot on due to laughable rules......and the stench in the cockpit.

Might be my original post and the note about the "thin skinned" has made the difference. I was expecting more of the ludicrous.

I had a couple of friends help me run my boat south one year, way back. One was surprised that I was Ok with TP in the head.
I told him I hoped he would flush it cause he was likely to stink after a few days if he was hoarding......unimpressed he explained to simple me that the racing boats he usually crewed on threw it out the opening port in the head.

I dont know, it didn't seem like that would work all that well all that often.

Anyhow, after I assured him I had a well designed, well installed and well maintained "get **** overboard" system, he relented.

All went....or left well I might add.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 12:09   #63

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

1. Martinis are shaken VIGOROUSLY and served immediately in a chilled glass so the first sip has the effervescence of the micro air bubbles in the GIN.

2. Vodka is for Bloody Marys, which will be served in large tall iced tea glasses, without fail, Sunday morning. Vodka does not a martini make.

3. An Old Fashion, a Manhattan, a Sazerac, all will always be made with rye whiskey, not bourbon, which will be reserved for Punch and for the humble Bourbon and Coke, unless it is an expensive single batch bourbon, which will be sipped, and the sipper will at least pretend to like it that way.

4. American beer will be in bottles only, chilled in seawater and ice so that it is hovering at freezing temp. Tiny ice crystals should instantly form when it is decapped and the pressure released. When the boat is full of empty bottles, it is probably time for a port call, to buy more beer. Foreign beer other than pilsners or lagers will be served refrrigerator cold.

5. Steaks will not be marinated in anything salty.

6. Nobody touches the Captain's cast iron skillets or rice pot. Period.

7. If there is only enough fresh milk to make one cappuccino, the Captain gets it. Command decisions require cappuccino.

8. Starbucks beans will not be brought aboard.

9. If you argue with the Captain, do it safely. From the pier.

10. All other rules of prudent seamanship will be observed.
Old 28-12-2018, 12:28   #64
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Hmm, so it seems that most folks are fairly reasonable and only a few boats I wouldn't care to step foot on due to laughable rules......and the stench in the cockpit.

But you are only reading the mostly public rules. I have one I only tell people once it's too late for them:

- Don't get hurt while underway, because I've decided it is better and cheaper for me to you to die instead.
Old 28-12-2018, 12:31   #65
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Whoever is at the helm is the captain.
Old 28-12-2018, 12:48   #66

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I've seen it done... by women who couldn't bear the thought of going below and risking hurling... which is why I have a dedicated special padded bucket for the ladies.... but perhaps we digress.........
We knew a lady who regularly peed over the side, even while underway if conditions weren't bad.

She stepped over the caprail, held on to the upper shroud and spread her legs a bit. Piece of cake.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 13:18   #67
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I’ve never even considered it necessary to bring up not peeing in the cockpit drains.......is that a thing? The smell!!
...is only a problem if you don't flush properly
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 13:50   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well... after reading another thread that covered this topic I have a new rule on my boat... no peeing in the cockpit drains!
If one can safely pee overboard without risk of tipping over the rail, then this rule is perfectly OK. I personally wouldn't insist on it, unless it was too much trouble to chase it down with some water.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 14:16   #69

Boat: None currently … previously a Beneteau Oceanis 350. Before that … a Cavalier 30

Interesting that so many are against peeing in the cockpit drains …

In heavy weather, while wearing weather gear">foul weather gear, going below to pee becomes a major inconvenience.

Many many long distance racers and cruisers tape a rubber tube (old bicycle inner tube works well) to their toddger or a she-wee cup and run the tube down inside their wet weather pants leg and out the bottom at the ankle. Saves having to go to the head and you can pee anywhere. Of course, one should show the curtesy of washing down the deck / cockpit as soon as practicable.

I tend to the view that cockpit DRAINS … are called that for a reason and require frequent flushing. If not for pee, then for sundry drinks spills and potato crisp crumbs.

Personal experience … I once went to the stern for a pee and slipped in a diesel spill and went overboard at night. MOB drills are nothing compared to the real thing. I lived to tell the tale but would wholeheartedly prefer a little pee in the scuppers to having a MOB.

Happy sailing
TonyDove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 15:51   #70

Boat: Sigma 36

Hear Hear - When rough it’s virtually a rule on our boat that you mustn’t go below or leave the cockpit when alone on watch!
GBR134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 01:24   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
More women rules:

Ive crewed on more than one boat that had an "everyone sits to pee" rule. Reason being that many men are not very accurate...especially with any significant sea state.

[emoji16]
That's one of the very few rules on my boat
Bathdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 04:38   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Whats the RULES!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR134 View Post
How strange - where else do you pee whilst on solo night watch going up wind in force 5 or above?

Left over from my flying days, but it works in a boat, just pour overboard to empty of course. An empty Gatoraid bottle works just as well.
If your taking water in the cockpit of an Island Packet peeing in your pants is the least of your worries, I’ve never taken water in the cockpit so the drains aren’t going to be washed out.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0539.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	182863
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 06:33   #73
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDove View Post
Many many long distance racers and cruisers tape a rubber tube (old bicycle inner tube works well) to their toddger or a she-wee cup and run the tube down inside their wet weather pants leg and out the bottom at the ankle. Saves having to go to the head and you can pee anywhere. Of course, one should show the curtesy of washing down the deck / cockpit as soon as practicable...
Hence the expression "Fill your boots" (or one boot anyway)

Incidentally, this is not the reason that we used sanitation hose for the cockpit drains. They were a really weird configuration with multiple joins and connectors (since simplified) and it was all that was available at short notice. Buying an elderly used boat means everything is suspect, especially below the waterline...
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 08:04   #74

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDove View Post
Interesting that so many are against peeing in the cockpit drains …

but would wholeheartedly prefer a little pee in the scuppers to having a MOB.
You got your priorities straight.

blessings
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 21:30   #75

Boat: Still building

GordMay, I think I have a solution for the problem inherent in your Rules...

Rule#: No FEMALES on board.

But then, I'm single, so for me that's a no-brainer.

YMMV.....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule