Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 09:12   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: What do you actually do While Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
.................. I know many cruise mostly alone as a single or couple, but I'd think even for those of you who primarily do that, those occasions when invited guests join you are special. ...........
I certainly agree with this thought of invited guests aboard and there's another meeting of old friends that comes with cruising too. Over the years we've made friends at ports that we've frequented in the past and we enjoy finding these friends again. I've also been able to locate former college friends who happen to live near the shore. I once called a former classmate while sailing off the shore near Manasquan, NJ. When he answered he said that he and his wife were at the beach. He was able to pick us out on the horizon when I dipped my mainsail. We stop at friend's docks at many places!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:24   #92

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Guests can be fun to have aboard for a short time, but its good to drop them off too. We mostly prefer the boat to ourselves w occassional guests.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:32   #93
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my sailing guests usually are on someone else's boat, like my friends' schooner, patricia belle.. my boat stays anchored and we sail the belle....
IFF i should decide to have any one sail with me, it usually is someone i know knows how to sail or will actually follow instructions without argument. they also contribute something to the actual progress of my adventures as well as become a part of em...
i will be sailing with some of my cousins, whose dad was my mom's uncle who taught all of us on his gaff rigged sloop ..... i do not day sail, but i have crew for many passages.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:58   #94

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
That's a bit harsh, I haven't met anyone cruising on a derelict boat. I have met lots of Cruisers with older boats and the longer you cruise the more things you need to fix or replace. It must be nice to sign a cheque and have someone else do the work, long term Cruisers tend to live to a budget and try to do the work themselves. One of the joys of being part of a cruising community is we tend to help each other out with tools, spares and experience. Wether a boat is old or new things do fail and if you cruise to the more remote places, your fellow cruiser can be a god send. Admittedly some sit on their million dollar condos and look down on the smaller less affluent Cruisers, but they are few and far between. You don't see them on the beach for the pot lucks and parties. There is a lot of knowledgeable people out there and the ones that fix their own boats can normally get things going with some tie wire and duct tape. Derelict boats are just that derelict, if a cruiser gets stuck it's short term til the issue is resolved but you make the most of every situation. Long term Cruisers are forever bumping into each other in some of the most beautiful places on this planet.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Its only harsh only if it applies to your situation, then its not harsh just reality, but i agree with everything you said, but if you cant afford repairs(parts, expertise etc) you end up being a derelict, as for us we do 95% of our repairs our selves.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:26   #95
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I don't think floating around or anchored on a derelict is considered cruising. Maybe that's why its not "magical" for some, just a step up from a tent or a homeless shelter, or minivan in a Walmart parking lot.
For us we make sure we can keep things running and maintained our self's or afford to have it fixed properly regardless of the language they speak.
And for us everyday is magical, the places we go, the challenges we overcome, natures beauty everywhere, the moments we cherish.
If it ever became not magical, id move back ashore, unless of course all i could afford was a floating derelict,...

i think you PRESUME too much. judge not. etc........

i refer to magical as being something that changes ones life as opposed to the reality of one being involved in something they actually enjoy--the sailing and repair of the boat which is one's home.
remember all those who are migrating to florida for the magical boat that will miraculously change their horrible lives into something they think they can tolerate...yada yada and so on.... that is to what i refer when i say cruising is not magical.
cruising is actually a lifestyle lived by many full time, and experienced full time, which i find most enjoyable. even repairs are fun, as new places are explored.
this might be a feature of cruising unknown to the part time cruiser, as those folks are only out here part of a year.
when you USE your boat full time, you will find yourself repairing at least part time. even brand new shiney expensive ones break when used a lot. the trick is finding the best repair place and use it well. .
rodlmffao.
i am fortunate to be smart enough to go out and find a decent mechanic who wont fleece the customer, (as the gringo alleged diesel mechanics do religiously )
and who is proud of his quality of workmanship, unlike the gringo alleged repair guys out here, most of whom have been run out of at least one area due to poor quality work or fraud or....
dulcesuenos, i am sorry you do not find the same awesomeness in repairing. you will experience it in fulll. it is half the fun of cruising lifestyle. the more creative you are in repairing, the better the work is..
and, if you are referring to my boat as a derelict, i do request a nice public apology, as that is a very rude thing to do, referring to someone else's boat in a negative manner. one must know and practice all protocols and etiquettes of a yottie...lol
i am sooo glad i do not know many folks who think in such manner. i certainly do not associate with them.
i have yet to see a derelict boat out here sailing--they dont usually make it very far.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:52   #96

Boat: Various
Magical, Mystical, or Pleasurable

There is discussion of whether cruising magically changes one's life. I don't think just cruising will although it can add tremendous enjoyment to a life. But it won't turn an unhappy person happy by itself. However, many make other changes to their lives when they start to cruise and the combination might be magical. For instance, one might give up an office job they hate, move from a crowded city that keeps them anxious, jump on a boat, and start writing the novel they've always wanted to write but never had the time to do so, while exploring new places.

I know my wife and I would be very happy people even if we didn't own a boat or ever cruise. We'd find a way. We'd find the good things that could enrich our lives. However, boating is our favorite pastime. Actually, much more than that. And it holds a special place for us. It's a very large part of a lifestyle that works well for us. We think of life itself as being magical and out time on the water is a huge part of that.

Ultimately though, cruising is what you make of it. It's really as simple as an example I'll use of weather conditions making you stay put. I remember when we were heading toward home after a trip but conditions in the Gulf of Mexico were such that we were stuck in a place we didn't want to be. So, we could have chosen to be miserable there while waiting. Instead, we found all it had to offer, enjoyed it, and made it one of our favorite places to visit. We didn't feel "stuck" but felt like we had an opportunity to enjoy that town longer than planned.

But that's life. Some turn to boating to change their lives and then soon give it up to try to do the same. I think it's one of the greatest family activities, but it's not going to fix a disfunctional family. Just can be part of learning to enjoy things together.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 13:11   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Its only harsh only if it applies to your situation, then its not harsh just reality..................
I don't think that this is a standard that applies to interactions in polite society. If something is said that would be contentious or demeaning to others, then I would commend those that stand in their defense. With that said, I would agree with you that it is the benefit for all cruisers to be able to maintain their vessels by their own means
Old 03-08-2014, 08:38   #98
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
I don't think floating around or anchored on a derelict is considered cruising. Maybe that's why its not "magical" for some, just a step up from a tent or a homeless shelter, or minivan in a Walmart parking lot.
For us we make sure we can keep things running and maintained our self's or afford to have it fixed properly regardless of the language they speak.
And for us everyday is magical, the places we go, the challenges we overcome, natures beauty everywhere, the moments we cherish.
If it ever became not magical, id move back ashore, unless of course all i could afford was a floating derelict,...

Unfortunately I 100% agree with you and am surprised that others haven't seen boat's so far gone it's pathetic. The "sailors" sit around all day doing nothing instead of grabbing a scrub brush and cleaning. And some remind me of horders with so much crap tied to the topsides it's dangerous to actually ever sail the boat. But they don't represent the vast majority of either full time or long period cruisers.

One thing in reflecting back on this year that we didn't do enough of is play games with our friends. I like cards and a game called Catch Phrase. Next year we need to make more of an effort to do this.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:16   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
One thing in reflecting back on this year that we didn't do enough of is play games with our friends. I like cards and a game called Catch Phrase. Next year we need to make more of an effort to do this.
That reminds us of the fact that it doesn't always have to be something you couldn't do on land or at a land home. Sometimes it's ordinary things but in special settings. We had a couple of 48-60 hour legs in our most recent trip. We loved looking out and enjoying all the beauty of the sea and the whales and other life there. But then we played board games too and just had a blast enjoying ourselves. When conditions were good we even played bridge on the flybridge. We also love music and out in the middle of nowhere, miles from shore, we'd pull out our keyboard and other equipment and just sing and enjoy ourselves. How about Karaoke even on the bridge while not in the sight of any land? We took the bridge helm while some of our friends tried their hand or voices at Karaoke. When you do ordinary things in extraordinary places then they become extraordinary.
Old 03-08-2014, 17:15   #100

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i think you PRESUME too much. judge not. etc........

i refer to magical as being something that changes ones life as opposed to the reality of one being involved in something they actually enjoy--the sailing and repair of the boat which is one's home.
remember all those who are migrating to florida for the magical boat that will miraculously change their horrible lives into something they think they can tolerate...yada yada and so on.... that is to what i refer when i say cruising is not magical.
cruising is actually a lifestyle lived by many full time, and experienced full time, which i find most enjoyable. even repairs are fun, as new places are explored.
this might be a feature of cruising unknown to the part time cruiser, as those folks are only out here part of a year.
when you USE your boat full time, you will find yourself repairing at least part time. even brand new shiney expensive ones break when used a lot. the trick is finding the best repair place and use it well. .
rodlmffao.
i am fortunate to be smart enough to go out and find a decent mechanic who wont fleece the customer, (as the gringo alleged diesel mechanics do religiously )
and who is proud of his quality of workmanship, unlike the gringo alleged repair guys out here, most of whom have been run out of at least one area due to poor quality work or fraud or....
dulcesuenos, i am sorry you do not find the same awesomeness in repairing. you will experience it in fulll. it is half the fun of cruising lifestyle. the more creative you are in repairing, the better the work is..
and, if you are referring to my boat as a derelict, i do request a nice public apology, as that is a very rude thing to do, referring to someone else's boat in a negative manner. one must know and practice all protocols and etiquettes of a yottie...lol
i am sooo glad i do not know many folks who think in such manner. i certainly do not associate with them.
i have yet to see a derelict boat out here sailing--they dont usually make it very far.
Zee you say I presume too much,... allow me to correct you. You presume all these people (what people?) Flock to Florida to buy boats because of their "horrible lives"(your words, not mine)

You presume all "Gringo mechanics" again your words not mine, suck and aren't as good as "your locals"
You presume i don't use my boat full time when in fact I am a Full time Live aboard,
You also presume i don't enjoy working on my boat when in fact i love working on it.
Then you presume i was targeting you when i stated floating on a boat that never moves is not cruising and take offense to my use of the term "derelict"
Maybe my comment regarding of it applies to you maybe not, i wouldn't know, i dont know you but if it bothered you it, wasn't directly directed at you, no More than your continued derogatory use of the term "Gringo" is directed at every Caucasian on here.
You presume to understand and use proper etiquette, I too believe in proper etiquette which includes not slandering or criticising an entire ethnic group as you do in just about every thread you get involved in. Unless by gringo you are referring to something other than a non spanish,or non spanish speaking person.
While your on a role why don't you presume an apology.

Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:23   #101

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

just a short reflect back a couple years ago while we're talking about cruising, who is, who isnt and derlicts..

couldnt find it but it was "Jeffs Last Sail" here on CF

some of you might remember, Jeff stopped in my shop to have some old sails repaired and If I remember right, they were really OLD. I swapped out the work for a few jobs around the shop he was willing to do and in the the process I found Jeff had cancer and was sailing off on a venture in a 30 foot that I would be hard pressed to sail across the bay..
Well Jeff did leave, in this rag-tag boat headed south.. called me from southern california with stories of knockdowns, and repairs but his spirits were up and he was continuing on..
Was a story here on CF that he had been seen in Mexico and still headed south on the same boat..
Stories arose that he was in Panama looking for crew to go through the cannel and again when he was in the islands on the east side of the cannel and still heading south..

Now Jeff might be the rarest cruisier ever leaving without any sailing knowledge, no ocean experence, and a boat in less capable design and build quility than most of us would call acceptable for cruising, working on a very low budget, and half-asses supplies..
Jeff was an insperation to myself and should be to anyone cruising, not that we are going to follow him in travels but to show us that cruisers come in many different shapes and sizes, different boats, and different situations..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:37   #102

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We read, SCUBA, visit friends on other boats, explore the area by foot or dink...
Old 05-08-2014, 12:50   #103

Wifey B: We see. See what you might ask? Whatever there is to see. Many things for the first time or in a different light. The beauty of nature and the universe. The beauty of people in many different places. Their treasures. Each day a new visual adventure. I don't care how many sunrises and sunsets one has seen, the next one is always so beautiful to experience. We look deep into things we only saw superficially before. Sort of like a photographer looking through a lens. Focusing on things we might have otherwise missed. Never knowing what one will see today.

Actually it's all the senses. We hear things differently. We just experience whatever the day brings. Just the wind in my hair. The salt in the air. The gentle rain relieving the heat.
Old 05-08-2014, 15:59   #104
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: ......We see. We look deep into things we only saw superficially before. .
Very good "observation"

Arriving at a destination by yacht is a slow paced process, where you absorb the topography, weather, neighborhood in a personal unmanaged way.

Your pace and intrests are not dictated by a 10 day holiday package.

So different from flying into a tourist destination and the hype of the hotels and industry to process you thru as quickly and as profitably as possible.

It is always the quiet personal things you remember.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 18:50   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok, What do I do while cruising? .... I guess it's time for me to "come out of the closet!" Not much pleases me more than to find a port with a skating rink. Yes, I'm addicted to the interface. Gliding on the interface is my "crack cocaine"! That's what sailing is, right? ...gliding on the interface. I had a team dance competition partner back in the '90's and we moved from 10th to 6th to 2nd in the national junior olympic team dance roller skating competition,--"for seniors". Yes,- most competition roller skaters are 13 years old!.. I just started in my forties! I was off skating tonight, trying to get my moves back. The floor is hard and as I get closer to 70 I know that I'll need to give it up before I give up sailing, but ...yes, That's one more thing I do while cruising. I look for ports with skating rinks!

Tags
cruising