Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2014, 09:41   #31

Boat: porta bote
Re: What do you actually do while cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Feel sorry for those who are not..
Thanks Boaty for your support, I (we) owe you one

And good wishes for a speedy recovery to you too

Martin
CHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 09:58   #32

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

One could ask the same question about retirement.

What to do when you don't have to do anything?

And maybe another better question,

What would you do if you could do anything?
Old 27-05-2014, 10:44   #33

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
One could ask the same question about retirement.

What to do when you don't have to do anything?

And maybe another better question,

What would you do if you could do anything?

Yep, that's why some folks don't retire. We have 2 gents here in their mid 70's still putting in 40 hour plus weeks...............and they can afford to retire.

The company majority owner was still showing up at the office in his 90's. (of course, he probably took huge chunks of time off here and there)

But it is a good point. I'm thinking 2 weeks on the boat max should be time for most to adjust. Kinda like going to boot camp or something. It takes a couple weeks to adjust.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 11:06   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

On longer trips once I get to the point where I don't have to be looking out for other boats and other stuff that will go bang when hit, I spend it thinking about what I'm going to do once I get to "wherever". That is the reason I'm making the trip, in order to get to "wherever"!
Old 27-05-2014, 11:17   #35

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

we all do allot of different stuff but what makes the differences when i get up i make coffee and we step out into the cockpit and we are at peace. We are at one with the water and the family. and that continues all day. When we come home we just want to be back out there. we will take our 3 days off and sometimes just point the boat to wards the middle of the gulf and go for a day and a half and than turn around to just be out there.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 11:19   #36

Sometimes when sailing (or steaming) back home across the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay after a long weekend, I'll be in site of my destination but still a couple hours or more to go to get there.

When the wind is southerly as it is in most of the good sailing months, the commercial jets circle out over the bay to make their approach to Norfolk Airport. Many times they pass directly over head, roll out of their turn and are on the runway in a couple minutes.............

You can get to wherever pretty quickly and enjoy some little packs of pretzels, coffee, coke, or a beer for a separate small fee.

Point is the thought crosses my mind when one of those Delta MD88's, MD90's, or a 757's comes passing over.

N936DN Delta Air Lines McDonnell Douglas MD-90-30 - Planespotters.net Just Aviation
Old 27-05-2014, 11:49   #37

My primary reason for travel of any type is getting to know the local people and their way of life. Doesn't matter if it's in country, or international, that's always my basic purpose. So my routine is pretty much the same upon arrival anywhere. I make note of where I'm starting, then I just go wondering around until I'm pretty certain I'm lost. This is most easily accomplished by stopping every time I see something new that catches my fancy. I'll pop into a local market for some juice and strike up a conversation with someone. I'll usually ask what's something that's unique to their neighborhood and non- 'Touristy'. I'll then go explore that, unless something else catches my attention along the way. A lot of times the 'stranger' will offer to show me the way. If they seem game, I'll offer to buy em a beer. Many a days has stopped right there, getting stuck in a pub as they ring up friends to come join the crazy Canuck. Invariably, people share some things that to them seem mundane and routine about the place they live, but that's precisely what I'm usually looking for.

When I eventually run our of interest, I'll start the process of trying to figure out my way back to where I started. Since I generally like to do these introductory treks solo, I'll then usually rejoin my travel partners and have a host of suggestions of stuff to do. Sometimes it's just something mundane like helping some bloke I met fix his car all afternoon, help mend a ladies back porch that's she's put off for years for lack of knowledge to do herself or simply couldn't be bothered. I get up to a lot of everyday stuff that most would never entertain when in 'vacation' mode. It's yielded a lot of genuine friendships all around the globe, and a ready network of folks I can comfortably contact on a moments notice when I find myself traveling through somewhere I hadn't a prior plan of being and need a sofa to crash on, or simply someone to hang out with to kill a number of hours whilst on a layover instead of just sitting around an airport.

Basically, the same type of everyday stuff I do at home. I've found it the best way to really get to know normal everyday people where ever I go, and that's the goal.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 12:33   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

When I was a child, my father was in the British military. We would be posted in foreign countries for 18 months at a time. It was great growing up meeting new people and being in new places. Yet, knowing that you would be returing home after the posting was reassuring and an anchor.

Land is like that. Whilst it is nice to go off somewhere in the boat, we always try to make the journey as fast and as safely as we can to avoid potential issues out there. I am not a deepwater long distance solo sailor. Frankly, unless I have to, for ultra long distances Id rather fly. I like coastal cruising or being within 60 miles of land. I can sail all around europe this way and even to Africa. The big atlantic trip UK to USA and Pacific USA to Hawaii is not attractive to me as a sailor. Id be bored silly after the first week of nothing but water.

I see sailing as a choice in life and as such, it has requirements. Things to fix. Things to appreciate, things to wash and things to worry about and care for. I dont watch TV much so am used to having other things to do in order to be amused or entertained.... I think a lot... I write music, I do a bit of computer code. Im not the worlds greatest socializer and am quite happy in a quiet restaurant or bar talking one on one with a local. Im happy sat in the market centre or new town that I found myself in and just watch life go on around me. Im happy looking at artisans at work and appreciating their skills.

I have never lost the joy of letting go the lines and moving away from the dock. Heading out into the swell and settling everything for a sail or motor. If it was just for that feeling alone... and that was all there was...... I would do it every day.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 13:34   #39

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Sex.

I feel sorry for the rest of you!
Old 27-05-2014, 14:12   #40
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
Sex.

I feel sorry for the rest of you!
Spoken like a true singlehander. )
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 14:15   #41

if all else fails you can listen to ....................SAIL by AWOLNATION. I found a 10 hour version.

It's about escaping to the tranquil world of sailing as I understand it when I can pay attention long enough.

Old 27-05-2014, 14:40   #42
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Spoken like a true singlehander. )
unskilled idiot, most can use both hands
Old 27-05-2014, 14:49   #43
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
unskilled idiot, most can use both hands
OK...."spoken like a true ambidexter"...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 15:30   #44

I am so busy cruising I still have not finished doing nothing from yesterday.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 15:54   #45

A lot of different things:
* There's always something on the boat maintenance list.
* There's always a piece, part, item, water, fuel or food that needs to be acquired. It's an adventure doing that.
* I mostly enjoy just watching people in a new culture.
* and snorkeling for food!

add * worry about those cruising in Beneteau's!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising