Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-01-2013, 16:37   #31

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: What brand of camera do you carry onboard?

I bought one of the first professional grade point and shoot cameras, the Canon S90 for our trip around the Atlantic. A couple drops of sea water did in the lens protective shutter after 3000 pictures. I then bought the same upgraded model, the S95 and took 5000 more pictures.

The bottom will only carry a point and shoot size camera on most occasions. This will allow you obtain memorable pictures in nearly every setting and venue. These are pictures you will not be able to take with a larger camera because it will be back on the boat. You will have 10 excuses not to haul a larger camera around.

The point and shoot size fits in pockets of your blue jean and shorts and you never notice it until you need to take a picture.

I used a friends $5000 Nikon on an excursion in the Canary Islands. All I did was lug it around. When I wanted to use it I had to dig it out of the pack and then out of the protective case. At the resturants that we stopped at I worried about someone stealing it as it is a large desirable target. When getting out of the car I worried about it getting stolen from the car.

Just my real world practical experience!!

LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 17:14   #32
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Forget the Olympus TG series.... I have one with the GPS ...All their claims are true except for one thing... The thing takes the absolute worst images of any digital camera I have owned... Which is about 5 different brands.... beyond disappointed with it...
My experience as well. I would not replace mine with a newer model.

cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 20:12   #33

Boat: Moody 42

Interesting timing on this thread. I just sold my Nikon D200 and 17-55 2.8 lens, flash, complete. I took it out the other day just to charge the battery and realized I had not used it since moving aboard. All the pictures I had taken in the last two years were taken with either my little Panasonic point and shoot or my I phone. I just purchased a Leica point and shoot, so we'll see how I like it. It give the option to shoot RAW files and has full manual controls and a nice lens. I am thinking this will give me the best of both worlds. A bit concerned about the lack of a real flash though.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 20:21   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The huge advantage of a DSLR is shutter speed. I missed too many Dalls porpoises
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 20:47   #35

Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I reluctantly gave up chemical photography a few years ago and sold off all my Leica gear (except for a few favorite lenses, including a Noctilux, which might find their way onto some digital camera someday).
Dock those Leica lenses are begging for an Olympus OMD.

Dock I'll give you a hundred bucks for that Noctilux. I'm kidding but I'm really jealous. Anyway I've been shooting with the OMD E-M5 and it has bar none the finest image stabilization of any system I've ever used and better at actually taking pictures. It's also splash proof with some of the lenses. The 75mm M.Zuiko lens for this system is a jewell as is the 45mm but not splash proof.

The OMD also takes fantastic video. This guys video shows what the OMD can do video wise. Turn up the volume and turn HD on
Kisses from Vienna on Vimeo

The OMD is the size of a point and shoot btw.
Nessus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 21:04   #36

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I have two extremes
  1. A waterproof point and shoot Panasonic that also does video and a small gorilla pod.
  2. A Nikon DSLR with a range of lenses, a flash, a very large gorilla pod, a tripod and filters.

It depends on the space available and my ambition.
Ditto, except no Gorilla Pods.
It's really nice to have a good DSLR that can capture images that few or no point & shoot can but it's also really nice to have something good and pocket sized so that you can catch unexpected things as they happen.

sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: