Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-01-2013, 09:09   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: What brand of camera do you carry onboard?

I drive an older D2x and a D3 for action shots, a Has for portrait shots and Canon for video, looking at the upper end Go Pro for water shots.
The wife still loves her D70s for all round use.

Old 13-01-2013, 09:23   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Me, my wife and a friend have had 4 Pentax Optios and 1 Olympus between us over the last 6yr or so. We have all been happy with them for what they were: waterproof point and shoots. They have performed well in marine environments.

Mine has lived in a pants cargo pocket the entire 3-1/2yr I've had it and it gets banged around a lot in there. It still shoots fine though the focus is just a touch off and some of the buttons don't work when the battery is fully charged, though they start to work again when the battery is about 1/2 down, go figure. Because Pentax was one of the first waterproof point-n-shoot's they have a lot more shooting modes than most others.

I am happy enough with mine that I will shortly replace it with the latest version of the Optio. The latest version has a shooting mode that converts an interval shoot (1 frame per second) into a movie, so I can do time lapse movies. I am looking forward to shooting sunrises.

Old 13-01-2013, 09:36   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Go Pro seems to be the outdoor camera favored nowdays. Plenty of accessories you can buy to make it very useable, above and below the water.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 09:48   #19

Boat: Sandpiper 565

When I went digital in 2008, I pondered the choice of DSLR vs pocket-sized point-and-shoot, and I opted for the latter, choosing a Canon S-750. It's lived in my knapsack for over 4 years now, including trips to Europe and the Caribbean, and on the boat. It's been a brick- utterly dependable, takes good shots in various auto modes, but also has more adjustment than I'll ever need. It's not deemed weather-proof, but it's been rained-on and dropped more than once yet continues to perform reliably.
Old 13-01-2013, 09:53   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Every fancy camera I bought before the digital age failed when used on the boat. Canon, Olympus and Pentax. usually a moisture issue, or powdery clouding inside the lenses. hurray for digital cameras!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 12:58   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

We have a plain camera. Canon G3.

I think a waterproof camera makes plenty of sense.

b.
Old 13-01-2013, 18:09   #22

Boat: 1974 Tayana 37'

Thank you everyone for all of the input, much appreciated. We are just a few short months away from moving aboard and hoping to buy a camera with some of the money we make during the downsizing process.
10yearplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 18:18   #23

Boat: 1974 Tayana 37'

Oh and I rarely have my phone with me and if I do chances are the battery is dead or I don't have it turned on. I actually use my camera more than I do my phone. I deal with people all day long and so my time is well guarded, I have one mostly for emergencies.
10yearplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 20:12   #24

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

Two Nikon D5100's (we found out we can't share very well) with 18-55, 55-200 and 55-300 lenses.

One Nikon Coolpix S3100 (for non-photo oriented excursions, like provisioning, where we still might see something we want to photograph)

One Olympus Tough TG-820 waterproof camera for capturing the underwater world (fabulous here in Huatulco, Mexico)

This way we each have a "real" camera and we each have a "pocket" camera.

Some great pics from these camera (and stories) on our website...
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 21:38   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Olympus TG800. Snorkeled with it, dropped it on concrete, left it in the trunk as I tossed tools on top of it on a long boat overhaul with no issues. Good pictures and the waterproofness is a blessing for taking photos in 40 knots of wind in SF Bay.
Old 14-01-2013, 01:15   #26

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by settingsun View Post
Two Nikon D5100's (we found out we can't share very well) with 18-55, 55-200 and 55-300 lenses.

One Nikon Coolpix S3100 (for non-photo oriented excursions, like provisioning, where we still might see something we want to photograph)

One Olympus Tough TG-820 waterproof camera for capturing the underwater world (fabulous here in Huatulco, Mexico)

This way we each have a "real" camera and we each have a "pocket" camera.

Some great pics from these camera (and stories) on our website...
5100 are great cameras. I have one. Sold my D3 when the D4's were due soon so I could get some of the kings ransom back. Lol

Apart from some issues like no internal focus motor for some lenses that require that feature, the 5100 is better than a D3. Newer technology wins out.
Old 14-01-2013, 03:14   #27

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Nikon D300 with a brace of top spec Nikor lenses; a Nikon AW100 as underwater & lightweight all weather camera (my wife's camera / video choice) .... oh & a iPhone 5 in a waterproof Lifeproof case.

I am continually amazed by the little AW100.

Dave
Old 14-01-2013, 03:33   #28

Location: Home port is San Diego, California but currently cruising the East Coast of the USA.
Boat: Contest 48

Besides an old Canon Rebel XTi (which hardly ever gets used) I have a Nikon AW100, which I couldn't be more disappointed with. The pictures are just lousy - especially underwater. My daughter has the Canon D20 and it takes remarkable pictures. We're often taking pictures of the same thing and the difference between the two cameras is like night and day. I thought there must be something wrong with the Nikon so I returned it and got a new one. No, the pictures are just as bad.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Old 14-01-2013, 05:09   #29

Boat: Westsail32
Send a message via Skype™ to storyinframes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
First of all, make sure your phone has a good camera in it. The killer advantage of phone cams is that you always have them with you! I have a Nokia N9 which has a superb camera with a Zeiss lens (better than my regular digital cameras a couple of generations ago) which also makes full HD video. Because it is always in my pocket, it is always there when I unexpectedly see something worth photographing. Have made many, many memorable photos and videos with it.

I reluctantly gave up chemical photography a few years ago and sold off all my Leica gear (except for a few favorite lenses, including a Noctilux, which might find their way onto some digital camera someday).

As a regular camera, I now mostly use a Panasonic Lumix LX-5. It has a superb Leica lens which is highly unusual in a point-and-shoot camera in that it is fast, F2, and wide, equivalent to 24mm. Its native format is 16:9. Best camera I could find that fits in a pocket, which is now a firm requirement for me for any camera. Shoots raw and has full manual controls, if you feel like messing with all that. There's now a new version out with an F1.4 lens, too.

I have been tempted by the Micro 4/3 system cameras, which have bigger sensors and interchangeable lenses, but I keep coming back to the idea that when I'm sailing I don't have time or attention to fiddle with cameras. I need something which is in my pocket, ready at all times. A better camera which is back on the boat is useless.

I agree with dockhead on the 'camera onboard' issues.

Film based photography is almost dead for most of the photographers except for some enthusiasts or hobbyists. I still have a Nikon FM2 and shoot often but its expensive unless and until you have access to processing and scanning facilities. However, the results are stunning.

On boats/cruising it is best to a digital version of 'rangefinder' camera. It is easy to operate, the bulk factor is out and you don't feel uncomfortable with a 1 kg camera+lens slung around your neck and hitting you on sides as you move around.
I prefer those rangefinders (digital version) which wouldn't have any time lag on pressing the 'click' button. just like the mechanical version, you press the button and the shutter snaps. thats it. Its fast and you don't miss out on the action or that 'moment'.
Digital rangefinders are still evolving and they haven't yet reached the plateau that DSLRs have attained. However, there are some in the market you can do some research

Best compact camera 2012: 33 reviewed | News | TechRadar

(you can check out the resolution of the images too given in the sample)

DSLRs + lenses on boats if you are into some serious photography and don't mind the hassle of lugging around some weight while cruising and discovering new places.

btw some of my most interesting images have often come from my camera phone :-) and it straight away goes on Facebook :-) or on the blog. seriously!

cheers.
Old 14-01-2013, 16:51   #30

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
Besides an old Canon Rebel XTi (which hardly ever gets used) I have a Nikon AW100, which I couldn't be more disappointed with. The pictures are just lousy - especially underwater. My daughter has the Canon D20 and it takes remarkable pictures. We're often taking pictures of the same thing and the difference between the two cameras is like night and day. I thought there must be something wrong with the Nikon so I returned it and got a new one. No, the pictures are just as bad.

Fair winds and calm seas.
I guess I must be lucky, plus I have the good fortune of living in one of the closest mainland access to the Great Barrier Reef in North Queensland. I have the opportunity to cruise out to snorkel the reef in ideal conditions often, which allows me to play with my AW100.

The quality although not award winning, is good enough for me to have been able to publish some of them in a magazine of ours. IMO not bad for an all weather point & shoot camera.

If you would like to see the article about cruising our local GBR waters (the Cassowary Coast, south of Cairns) you can see it here. Note that the PDF has been down sampled to reduce the online file size, hence the photos are only medium res. Cruising the Cassowary Coast

Cheers

Dave

Tags
camera

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: