Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2018, 10:01   #1

Boat: Toni Hansen Trimere 33
Weed

My girlfriend and I are full time liveaboards in the beautiful state of Maine, USA. Up here the recreational use of marajuana is legal. While safely at anchor or dockside we enjoy partaking on occasion. Gently rocking on a mooring with a nice buzz on is one of life’s simple pleasures that’s hard to beat.
Our plan is to sail south in 2020 starting in the Bahamas and figuring it out from there. My question is, what are the dangers of sailing with a small quantity of weed on board. Say one or two ounces.
Thank you. SV BigBird
Old 19-02-2018, 10:21   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Weed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supers0nic View Post
My girlfriend and I are full time liveaboards in the beautiful state of Maine, USA. Up here the recreational use of marajuana is legal. While safely at anchor or dockside we enjoy partaking on occasion. Gently rocking on a mooring with a nice buzz on is one of life’s simple pleasures that’s hard to beat.
Our plan is to sail south in 2020 starting in the Bahamas and figuring it out from there. My question is, what are the dangers of sailing with a small quantity of weed on board. Say one or two ounces.
Thank you. SV BigBird
Having your boat confiscated and you being deported. So no big deal
Old 19-02-2018, 10:42   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Not sure how Bahamas views weed, but given your current federal government, I certainly wouldn’t risk it.

You could always point your bow north instead. Recreational weed will be legal across Canada by then.
Old 19-02-2018, 10:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Not sure how Bahamas views weed, but given your current federal government, I certainly wouldn’t risk it.

You could always point your bow north instead. Recreational weed will be legal across Canada by then.

That's the best anti drug campaign I've heard. Quit smoking or we'll make you freeze up North

My view is, your risk is low if you don't get caught... I've known friends to take small quantities of drugs to Asia (on planes). Never seemed worth the worry to me...

Enjoy.
Old 19-02-2018, 10:47   #5
mcm

Anyone at anchor or underway who uses weed should have their vessel impounded and they should be charged. Totally irresponsible behavior. If anyone needs to know why that is they should not be allowed on the water.
Old 19-02-2018, 10:50   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_sail View Post
That's the best anti drug campaign I've heard. Quit smoking or we'll make you freeze up North
Smoking warms the innards. It’s part of our way of staying warm .

Actually, this thread has me wondering how Canadian law will treat recreational cannabis on boats. In Canada, unlike in some US states, it is perfectly legal to drink at anchor as long as the vessel meets certain minimum requirements. I assume pot will be treated the same way, but I’ve not heard anything.
Old 19-02-2018, 10:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm View Post
Anyone at anchor or underway who uses weed should have their vessel impounded and they should be charged. Totally irresponsible behavior. If anyone needs to know why that is they should not be allowed on the water.

But but, what if they have liability coverage, aren't they responsible then??

Lol
Old 19-02-2018, 10:55   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Weed

Quote:
I take it you would support going back to Prohibition like early last century as well..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 19-02-2018, 11:07   #9

Quote:
Never had a drink at anchor? Really...
Care to explain why you think this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I take it you would support going back to Prohibition like early last century as well..
Yup
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 19-02-2018, 11:08   #10

Quote:
AHHH HA HA HA A HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!
Old 19-02-2018, 11:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Never had a drink at anchor? Really...
Care to explain why you think this way?

Probably this:

Old 19-02-2018, 11:18   #12

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

SV Bigbird,

This should answer your questions.

Legal marijuana unwelcome onboard | The Triton

Bill O.
Old 19-02-2018, 11:21   #13

Quote:

Oh my !
Old 19-02-2018, 11:32   #14

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supers0nic View Post
Thank you. SV BigBird
You don't even have to leave Maine to get busted. Unless you are not on Federal waters, you are in Federal jurisdiction. If the Coast Guard does an inspection don't be surprised if you get a fine.

https://www.boatingmag.com/how-legal...ies-to-boaters

I'm not for or against pot. Our club has had to make it clear that even Lake Washington is a federal waterway and illegal activities aren't allowed.

Edit: I see I have a similar link as in post #12
Old 19-02-2018, 11:50   #15

Boat: Moody 44’ ketch

So, if i read this correctly ( and excuse me if I don’t as I’m British) but…the state can make a law that the federal government doesn’t agree with and therefore just ignores whatever rights have been given by the state. Sounds like state laws are not actually laws but just kinda recommended …er…advisements. This must get even more confusing than the French choosing to ignore EU legislation ‘cos at least they are a Separate nation …
Closed Thread