Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2018, 14:47   #31

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Weed

OMG! Canada will be over run with gun toting Americans after our weed

NAFTA at it's finest!

Len
Old 19-02-2018, 14:49   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supers0nic View Post
My girlfriend and I are full time liveaboards in the beautiful state of Maine, USA. Up here the recreational use of marajuana is legal. While safely at anchor or dockside we enjoy partaking on occasion. Gently rocking on a mooring with a nice buzz on is one of life’s simple pleasures that’s hard to beat.
Our plan is to sail south in 2020 starting in the Bahamas and figuring it out from there. My question is, what are the dangers of sailing with a small quantity of weed on board. Say one or two ounces.
Thank you. SV BigBird

Not a good idea ..... crossing boarders with a possible illegal substance is never a good idea no mater what it is

If you enter a weed friendly area, I'm sure you can stock up when you arrive

I do the same when I buy bullets, way easier in the US than Canada
Old 19-02-2018, 14:56   #33

Quote:
Your prisons are full of folks that in any other country would get there (sic) hands slapped
Or their necks stretched and broken...
Old 19-02-2018, 14:56   #34

Boat: Bristol 27

Wow, I hope I can do the weed thing when I go cruising especially if I cruise long distance

it's soooo much lighter than beer.......
Old 19-02-2018, 15:03   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post

NAFTA at it's finest!

Len
Len,

I think we can relax. Maine, Washington State cover east and west for Ocean sailors.

We'd have to look up those contiguous states in the middle, though, importantly like along The Great Lakes for sailors. Mike O'Reilly should be able to help. Wait, maybe I'll pull out a map! Oops, could do it on my computer...Idaho (but it's narrow there), Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont & New Hampshire.

Hmm, between Washington State and NY, seems like you're right.

Glad I'm "out here!"

At least they have to get on a boat to reach "my" island!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 19-02-2018, 15:09   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post

NAFTA at it's finest!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Len,

I think we can relax. Maine, Washington State cover east and west for Ocean sailors.

We'd have to look up those contiguous states in the middle, though, importantly like along The Great Lakes for sailors. Mike Reilly should be able to help. Wait, maybe I'll pull out a map! Oops, could do it on my computer...Idaho (but it's narrow there), Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont & New Hampshire.

Hmm, between Washington State and NY, seems like you're right.

Glad I'm "out here!"

At least they have to get on a boat to reach "my" island!
Yup. I say we build a wall, and have the Americans pay for it
(it’s a joke folks).
Old 19-02-2018, 15:14   #37

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Weed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabarista View Post
So, if i read this correctly ( and excuse me if I don’t as I’m British) but…the state can make a law that the federal government doesn’t agree with and therefore just ignores whatever rights have been given by the state. Sounds like state laws are not actually laws but just kinda recommended …er…advisements. This must get even more confusing than the French choosing to ignore EU legislation ‘cos at least they are a Separate nation …

Following the US Revolutionary War, each state was its own nation for a while which is why we call them states and not provinces. After a few years the system established wasn’t working well so we had a constitutional convention which established the USA. That set up lasted a while until we had what the winning side called the Civil War and which the losing side calls The War Between the States. Really it was neither because we really hadn’t nailed down what we as a group were, though that War established that we were a nation rather than a group of nations acting together. The best name I’ve heard for the conflict is The War for Southern Independence.

Whatever, what remains is a federal system where different levels of government are elected separately, enact and enforce laws separately and have sometimes overlapping jurisdictions. Generally the different levels don’t conflict or if they do it’s fairly mild and of a technical nature. While the different levels of law enforcement usually work together, they are not required too.

Cannabis laws and enforcement are an exception to the general lack of major conflict between the different levels law enforcement.

On the water USCG has federal enforcement powers on the high seas, coastal bays, Great Lakes, major rivers and some not so major rivers and bodies of water.
Near shore local municipalities and states overlap some.
Isolated lakes and minor rivers tend to be strictly local jurisdiction.
Old 19-02-2018, 15:16   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Agree, and its spread the policy to other countries, but philosophy aside, its still reality.
No argument from me, couldn't agree more.
Old 19-02-2018, 15:22   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
From the title I thought this was another anchoring thread . Then when I understood the question my next reaction was "head north" but Mike was faster on the uptake than me.
Ha, I did, too. I was all set to brag on how my Mantus digs through weeds, then I find a damn hippie convention going on!
Old 19-02-2018, 15:23   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yup. I say we build a wall, and have the Americans pay for it
(it’s a joke folks).
Shouldn't be a joke. Build That Wall!!! Keep them outta here.

PS - I added an O to your last name, Mike, sorry I missed that in my post!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 19-02-2018, 15:30   #41

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Article VI of our constitution has the supremacy clause -

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."

So when state and federal laws conflict the federal law wins.

When Obama was president he advised federal law enforcement that pot enforcement was low on the priority list. Attorney General Sessions under the current administration is working on making drug enforcement a high priority.

Now Congress is starting to talk about changing federal law. One of the things they have to change is that legally pot is a schedule 1 drug, same classification as LSD.

The constitution also regulates what laws congress can enact, generally they have to relate to interstate issues.

The feds have jurisdiction over drug sales and possession due to the commerce clause of the constitution. In the case of pot, even when it is locally grown and sold, or even grown for personal use the feds have argued that such activity affects the interstate drug market and the courts have bought that argument and allowed them to apply federal law.
Old 19-02-2018, 16:55   #42

Boat: Leopard 39

I would not want to be stoned in a crowded anchorage if the weather changed radically, my anchor was dragging, and I had to get out of there in a hurry. Bummer, man. No biggie in a marina, I guess, but entering other countries with grass aboard? You're taking a big
chance.
Old 19-02-2018, 17:37   #43

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
I would not want to be stoned in a crowded anchorage if the weather changed radically, my anchor was dragging, and I had to get out of there in a hurry. Bummer, man. No biggie in a marina, I guess, but entering other countries with grass aboard? You're taking a big
chance.
I am just visualizing an anchorage full of 100% sober and alert people who are prepared, on a moments notice, battle hurricane weather. ))))) Perhaps I misunderstand the boating culture completely.
Old 19-02-2018, 17:39   #44

Boat: Vancouver 27

All things being equal, if you're not giving the authorities in the states cause to suspect you of being impaired or carrying said impairing substances onboard, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But it would be wise to not take it with you when you cross borders. It's easy enough to find in most places once you get there
Old 19-02-2018, 17:44   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Weed

Tell you what.. Bill and Ben would be in real trouble..

https://youtu.be/IkuWx29GzGg

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Closed Thread