Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 22:08   #1

Boat: Seafarer 34 CB
Waterproof Camera?

For as long as we've been planning our adventure (moving from Brooklyn to Colombia via sailboat) I've been planning on getting a GoPro to have on board to shoot video and underwater pics. I have a DSLR for regular pics, but we wanted something additional for the water. I was on Amazon reading some of the reviews of the GoPro HD 3 and I have to admit it I'm extremely hesitant to purchase it now. The reviews have been a mix of "this is the worst camera ever" to "we love it!". Most complaints were with water getting into the camera after the first dive or about the firmware being terrible.

In looking for alternatives I found the Canon Powershot D20 which looks like a great alternative. I also stumbled upon a Nikon version which also had multiple reviews about water seeping in so I immediately nixed that one.

Does anyone have input on these camera models? Are there any that I should be thinking about? Both the Canon and the GoPro are relatively similar priced.

I want to use it when we dive, and taking video as we sail and not have to worry about water damage. My man wants to be able to secure it to the mast at times too.

Thanks for any input

Kelley
Old 01-06-2013, 22:22   #2

Re: Waterproof Camera?

I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black and it works fairly well, especially considering the price. I've had it to 200 ft and the buttons still work fine. Are you planning on diving it deeper than that?

The lens gives a little bit of a fisheye view above water, but it's not noticeable underwater.
dannobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 22:43   #3

There's a big thread on here about how much the gopro has turned into a piece of junk for a lot of people, myself included. I've got a Contour now that I love. Link to the product and a little video I made with it. There's a dive housing you can buy which will let you go well to the levels of recreational scuba.

Amazon.com: Contour ROAM2 Waterproof Video Camera (Black): Camera & Photo

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 00:07   #4

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
What about the Sony Action Cam, anyone have one of these? I've been thinking they might be a good alternative to the Go Pro.

http://m.cnet.com.au/sony-action-cam...24.htm?redir=1

Be interested to know owners opinions.

thanks.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 00:16   #5

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
There's a big thread on here about how much the gopro has turned into a piece of junk for a lot of people, myself included. I've got a Contour now that I love. Link to the product and a little video I made with it. There's a dive housing you can buy which will let you go well to the levels of recreational scuba.

Amazon.com: Contour ROAM2 Waterproof Video Camera (Black): Camera & Photo

Great video, thanks for posting. I like the look of the contour.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 00:18   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

The reviews for waterproof cameras have been underwhelming regarding photo quality and as the owner of a Pentax Optio W60 Waterproof 10MP Digital Camera I have to agree with them. Also the battery is very small and it doesn't take a lot of pictures before you run out of power. I bought this in 2009 and the newer cameras like this, not just Pentax, still get mediocre reviews for picture quality.

Sometimes it actually does take a phenomenally good picture but as to why this only occurs occasionally is beyond my understanding.

I use this for sailing and kayaking and aside from getting wet I have yet to put it in harms way under water.

Hope this helps in your search.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:19   #7

I dive with my GoPro hero3 black diving and it works great although my ability to take video is seriously lacking. I am very happy with the purchase It goes everywhere with me small powerful and usefull .. I have a friend who took his sony actioncam to the philipenes and made a pretty incredible film of his vacation. he did some film classes in school and after a bunch of research decided on the sony .. I personally think you will probably be happy with either one.
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:21   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to hThunder

The Sony Action Cam is a good entry in the POV camera market that includes a waterproof case with a standard tripod mount; is available with or without Wi-Fi; has a small, lightweight body; and offers a decent number of recording options. But video quality is disappointing viewed at larger sizes; can't rotate lens or flip video 180 degrees; camera can't stand on its own and can't easily be used without a door on its case; no access to mic jack when inside case; no still photos beyond interval shots; and additional purchases almost required.
hThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingChance View Post
Does anyone have input on these camera models?
IF u r in the mood to splurge ...

saw this at the sanctuary cove boat show recently ...

Underwater Robotic Video Camera | Underwater Viewing System | Aquabotix
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:45   #10

I've got a GoPro Hero but, lately I've been using a Swann Freestyle camera for underwater and specialized shots. A lot cheaper than a GoPro and comes with lot's of accessories that are extra with the Gopro. Like LCD screen and remote. Even has a camera mount built in so you don't always have to use a case like with the GoPro. I also had a great experience with their customer service:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: A CAPT. MIKE TIP OF THE HAT: Swann Communications & their Freestyle HD Camera
You probably could pick up two Swann Freestyles for the price of one GoPro.
Old 02-06-2013, 22:58   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Beyond it being waterproof, what are you looking for?

GoPro HERO3 : $400, 12Mp, no zoom, 90*-170* wide angle lens, don't know how deep you can go with it, my guess is snorkeling deep. Will shoot high speed video so playback can be in slow motion at 720 & 1080 HD quality.

PENTAX - WG-3 : $250, 16mp, 4x optical zoom, wide range of shooting presets, 45ft depth. optional GPS tagging for and extra $20-40. Will shoot HiDynamicRange, 1080HD movies. Will shoot time lapse and save as an MPEG movie.

SeaLife DC1400: $500, 5x optical zoom, 14Mp, 200ft depth, f/2.8, 720 HD movies.

If you want to take action videos with the camera attached to your person or to some part of a boat, then go with the GoPro. I don't know how good they are for still shots, I think they have been optimized for action videos. My guess is pretty tolerant of being banged and dropped.

If you want to SCUBA with a camera then a SeaLife is the way to go. They have other models.

If you want a point and shoot that can come on deck during a storm or go ashore in a dinghy thru surf or to go snorkeling with then the Pentax is the way to go. Based on personal experience with an earlier model Pentax it has taken a lot of abuse and still works acceptably. Newer models are even more shock resistant. Will do high speed movies at VGA quality.

Pentax and Olympus were the early developers of Waterproof digitals and seem to have the most features currently. The high end Olympus to compare to the Pentax is the Olympus Tough TG-830 iHS.

Pentax has the advantage over Olympus with an f/2.0 aperature vs f/3.9, so it will do significantly better in low light. The Olympus has the advantage of a 5x optical zoom with some fancy something that will get you 10x zoom without it being a digital zoom. The Olympus is good to 33ft instead of 45 but if you are trying to go past 33' you should be in a scuba rig and have the SeaLife.

Over all I would go with a Pentax unless you have a specific need that can only be filled by a SeaLife or the GoPro.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 00:08   #12

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingChance View Post
For as long as we've been planning our adventure (moving from Brooklyn to Colombia via sailboat) I've been planning on getting a GoPro to have on board to shoot video and underwater pics. I have a DSLR for regular pics, but we wanted something additional for the water. I was on Amazon reading some of the reviews of the GoPro HD 3 and I have to admit it I'm extremely hesitant to purchase it now. The reviews have been a mix of "this is the worst camera ever" to "we love it!". Most complaints were with water getting into the camera after the first dive or about the firmware being terrible.

In looking for alternatives I found the Canon Powershot D20 which looks like a great alternative. I also stumbled upon a Nikon version which also had multiple reviews about water seeping in so I immediately nixed that one.

Does anyone have input on these camera models? Are there any that I should be thinking about? Both the Canon and the GoPro are relatively similar priced.

I want to use it when we dive, and taking video as we sail and not have to worry about water damage. My man wants to be able to secure it to the mast at times too.

Thanks for any input

Kelley
The Canon D20 and similar are not adequately waterproof for diving. (SCUBA). Might get away snorkling shallow but not diving.

Essentially you need a camera with underwater housing. The GO Pro is a camera with perspex housing suitable to 60m in their blurb. I have a GoPro black haven't yet used on a dive but has worked out well so far as a waterproof surface camera with reasonable quality and good wide angle. Worst feature is possibly its battery life. Been good so far.

Intend to use it eventually as a backup attached to a better quality underwater camera in housing. not sure yet if I will get a housing for my DSLR or go for something like DSC-RX100 from Sony and either a Nauticam or Ikelite housing. Sony RX100 housing: Nauticam vs Ikelite, pair with Inon UFL-165AD - Consumer Digicams/Housings - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums This Sony has very high quality CCD and can be used for still and video and is highly reccomended by a number of reviews.

Canon makes cheap housings for a number of its Digital Compact Cameras as does Ikelite. IKELITE Underwater Systems

The SeaLife DC1400 is possibly the only genuine water proof camera left since Nikon ceased manufacture of the Nikonos.

Cameras | Sealife Cameras

There has been rewiews of compact camera reviews in a number of USA/UK dive mags recently.

Best wishes with a difficult decision.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera