Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 08:58   #1

Watching movies when cruising offshore

Looking for some ideas on putting together a video/audio entertainment systems for cruising offshore. Tried searching the forum by several different keywords but have not been lucky so far. Any examples/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Janusz
januszr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:50   #2

Re: Watching movies when cruising offshore

I am curious to learn what kind of answer to this question you are looking for.
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:59   #3

That more elaborate the system, the more amps required to run it. I personally cringe which I see stacks of AV equipment like a full-blown receiver on a boat.

I have a LED TV, a Fusion Head unit that plays AM/FM, Serius XM, Bluetooth and DVD's. The Fusion outputs DVD to the TV and plays audio through the speaker system in the boat.

We also connected an AppleTV to stream content. When streaming through AppleTV, the audio comes through the speakers on the TV.

The Apple TV will allow you to upload files so you can stream movies from the AppleTV as well.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:01   #4
cruiser

KVH TracVision HD7 for DirecTV and Sirius.

A milestone.... 10,000 posts!
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgo View Post
I am curious to learn what kind of answer to this question you are looking for.
My only experience with offline entertainment has been on flights. Looking for some good suggestion on a more robust system but also just like Shrew mentioned I do not want to put too much load on the batteries. I am new to cruising but will be buying a boat, hopefully in a few months.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:52   #6

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by januszr View Post
Looking for some ideas on putting together a video/audio entertainment systems for cruising offshore. Tried searching the forum by several different keywords but have not been lucky so far. Any examples/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Janusz
I use a cheap Raspberry Pi with HDMI out, OSMC software, wireless keyboard, 2 x 4TB USB hard drives, cheap and easy solution. I mirror the hard drives using a program on my laptop and only bring one on the boat, hard drives fail. I have a 300W inverter for the media stuff so I don't have to run the big inverter.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
I use a cheap Raspberry Pi with HDMI out, OSMC software, wireless keyboard, 2 x 4TB USB hard drives, cheap and easy solution. I mirror the hard drives using a program on my laptop and only bring one on the boat, hard drives fail. I have a 300W inverter for the media stuff so I don't have to run the big inverter.
That sounds like a really inexpensive and good solution. It looks like OSMC software supports Apple TV as well which could be a bonus. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:15   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Laptop connected to a 4TB drive with more content on it than I can watch in my lifetime. Sony marine stereo with Bose speakers that I AUX in music to from iTunes on my laptop.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:32   #9

Boat: Celestial 48

I use a Micca media player with 2 TB hard disk and a 32" flat screen. Does not require a laptop to play. Can play just about any format of movie or music out there. All playback controlled on screen with the remote control. Very low energy draw, small and reliable so far. Uses less energy than watching DVDs on my old laptop.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
I use a Micca media player with 2 TB hard disk and a 32" flat screen. Does not require a laptop to play. Can play just about any format of movie or music out there. All playback controlled on screen with the remote control. Very low energy draw, small and reliable so far. Uses less energy than watching DVDs on my old laptop.
Yes ,this is probably exactly what I was looking for. I'd rather use digital instead of DVDs. Thanks Dennis, and thank you all for responding.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:18   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
KVH TracVision HD7 for DirecTV and Sirius.

We have an HD5 and they don’t go as far offshore as you may think.
I guess it depends on what you mean by off shore.
US coverage maps
https://www.kvh.com/Pages/Satellite-...US-Marine.aspx
https://www.kvh.com/Pages/Satellite-...US-Marine.aspx
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:50   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You need to get a life, go sailing or something

Congrats!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:51   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

It might be that the question could have been more helpfully precise.

Making the assumption that it is based on there being no streaming coverage the first question is what the source material is going to be.

That forces another assumption, namely that one wants the media stored on other than DVD discs.

Next assumption, you are prepared to break the Digital Rights Management (DRM) on those discs. Unless, of course, an unending diet of home movies is what grabs you.

If so, your call and I am not encouraging you, you will need to familiarise yourself with something like Handbrake and the add in file needed.

Next assumption, you really, really are serious about being able to watch what you have saved using the minimum amount of power if need be.

If you are, then use or buy an Android phone and throw away/sell anything from Apple that you have. Why? Two reasons. First, (Cr) Apple phones do not support removable Micro SD cards. So you are struck with the generally miserable and over priced internal storage. Second, the over priced phones only talk to equally over priced display kit. Android talks directly with a dirt cheap USB to HDMI cable to Screen. Or wirelessly through a number of protocols.

Now, if you go with this suggestion you will have one device which uses very little current and can take any number of interchangeable cards. If you want to share to a bigger screen you can.

What's more, because you will have the phone with you the data will be available to use in lots of places. For example, I use the phone at home, second home and on the boat. All with different output configurations. None of which have cost more than peanuts.

One tip, if you do go this route then go for a phone with USB-C rather than Micro USB. You will future proof and get much better data handling.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:55   #14

I have 5 tb hard drive loaded. Along with a TV box and small TV. Doesnt even phase the batteries
yalnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:23   #15

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by januszr View Post

Thanks,
Janusz
We rarely have internet or wifi onboard, and use our (older) 13" Macbook Airs with a so-called 'Superdrive' from Apple - basically, a DVD player. Plugs into a USB port.
Works ok but the 'Superdrive' that Apple sells is junk, and getting hard to find. We carry a couple of spares as they usually don't last 6 months. $50 a pop so not too bad but shame on Apple, anyway. We've tried aftermarket USB powered CD/DVD players that are supposedly Mac friendly, but usually can't get them to work.
Obviously, we are not techies!
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, movie, offshore