Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2017, 07:24   #1

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch
Watching fireworks show from your boat in Baltimore, USA?

Hello all,

Has anyone taken their boat into Baltimore Harbor (Maryland, USA) to watch the fireworks show on New Years Eve? I know they anchor a barge and launch from there, and so there will be a restricted zone around it. The Harbor Master's office is closed for the season; and the harbor police office couldn't give us any info.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks, Mike
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 08:15   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Watching fireworks show from your boat in Baltimore, USA?

Mike,
It has been many years since we anchored in the inner harbor near the Domino's sign, so had too look it up. This appears to be the current info on where you can anchor in the harbor.

I do remember it was very crazy after the fireworks with a lot of power boats trying to get out of there very fast. We remained anchored to avoid the mayhem.

Cheers,
Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 08:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
Hello all,

Has anyone taken their boat into Baltimore Harbor (Maryland, USA) to watch the fireworks show on New Years Eve? I know they anchor a barge and launch from there, and so there will be a restricted zone around it. The Harbor Master's office is closed for the season; and the harbor police office couldn't give us any info.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks, Mike
Your Local Notice to Mariners will have the exclusion zone spelled out in detail
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 08:42   #4

I did it on Lake Union in Seattle for a few years. One thing: protect your sails! There was ash all over my boat when all was done. I doubt any of it would melt a hole in sails, but possibly...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 08:18   #5

Boat: Tartan, 4600, 46'

This from the CG:
****MD - CHESAPEAKE BAY - BALTIMORE HARBOR - NORTHWEST HARBOR - BALTIMORE INNER HARBOR - FIREWORKS DISPLAY SAFETY ZONES****
The annual New Year’s Eve fireworks display at Baltimore, MD is scheduled to occur on December 31, 2017, at midnight (rain date January 1, 2018, at 7 p.m.). As described in the Table to 33 CFR Sec. 165.506, the Coast Guard Captain of the Port Maryland-National Capital Region establishes the following two safety zones:
1. All waters of the Patapsco River, within a 100-yard radius of the fireworks barge in approximate position latitude 39° 17′ 01″ N, longitude 076°36′ 31″ W, located in Baltimore Inner Harbor, approximately 125 yards southwest of Pier 3; and
2. All waters of Baltimore Harbor, Baltimore Inner Harbor, within a 280 yards radius of a fireworks discharge barge in approximate position latitude 39°16’36.7” N, longitude 076°35’53.8” W, located northwest of the Domino Sugar refinery wharf at Baltimore, MD.
These safety zones will be enforced from 11 p.m. on December 31, 2017 through 1 a.m. on January 1, 2018 for a fireworks display scheduled at midnight (and if necessary due to inclement weather will be enforced from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on January 1, 2018 for a fireworks display scheduled for 7 p.m.). The fireworks barges will have a sign on port and starboard sides labeled FIREWORKS--DANGER--STAY AWAY to provide on scene notice that the safety zones will be enforced. Vessels may not enter, remain in, or transit through the safety zones during the enforcement period unless authorized by the Coast Guard Captain of the Port Maryland-National Capital Region by telephone at (410) 576-2693, or designated patrol personnel on scene by marine band radio VHF-FM channel 16. Other Federal, State and local agencies may assist these personnel in the enforcement of the safety zones. For any comments or questions contact Coast Guard Sector Maryland-National Capital Region, Waterways Management Division, at (410) 576-2674 or (410) 576-2693. Chart 12281
We have done this for July 4. . . lots of ash to clean off in the morning.
Enjoy!
JaaaPeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 08:50   #6

We used to do this every year when we lived aboard downstream in Pasadena. Review the posted notice to mariners. Strictly enforced. However, there is plenty of space accessible if you go EARLY, read EARLY. There will be 1,000's of boats coming from the bay upriver and at some point, you can't go further, but, go EARLY and get great spots. Remember, you'll be looking up, so don't worry about a bldg in the way. Also, the FW were set off from multiple locations. There are many boaters with inner harbor slips who have NY's EVE parties, some of which start the day before............ know any of them? Beware the ending departure. I believe you can reserve a slip in the harbor, but you have to arrive early to get to it. Enjoy, It's not the be missed.
winjamerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 09:18   #7

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

I have never been to see the Baltimore fireworks, but we have similar fireworks in New Orleans for the 4th of July. One year, instead of anchoring out, we found a slip that had a nice breeze and was near the mouth of the harbor of Bayou Castine. We sat at the dock all day drinking our rum, watching the hundreds of boats of all kinds, mostly overloaded with many loaded sailors cruise past us on their way out to the anchorage. It was a scary sight, once one realized that all of these boats that had moved through a 80' wide channel over 10 hours would be returning at the same time. When the fireworks finished at 9pm, a huge summer squall hit with 40 knot gusts and blinding rain.

The good news is no one died. The bad news is that there were many property and casualty claims that could have been avoided if everyone would have simply sheltered in place.

Please find a slip. Bring copious amounts of rum, if you choose, but spend the night onboard, if you can. You and your guests will be much happier in the morning...
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 12:33   #8

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

Try Henderson's Wharf Marina for dockage. There is a long face dock behind the hotel which is ideal for the fireworks.
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 08:30   #9

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Thank you all, I appreciate the responses. It looks like it will be a cold night, but with a fire in the wood stove and hot food and drink, should be fun.
Enjoy the new year!
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore, boat