Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2015, 11:27   #211

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Underwater Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
I'll see if I can dig any up from the bowels of this beast meantime. As to knots… you know I was winding you up rather on that, eh? I agree the zep is good, and the sheet bends suspect, but it's hard enough to teach the latter on the RYAs. The former would likely result in black confusion among the masses.
Merely "good"?
Wash your mouth out

This is an appropriate time to repost an underwater shot of the magnificent Zep in action joining our snubber together over from what I recall was a couple of days of 30-40 knot gusty conditions last year were we were jerked viciously around.

The Zeppelin Bend held our boat without any sweat despite the constant loading and unloading underwater (the downfall of many knots) and it could still be undone easily with just one hand afterwards. It won my undying admiration after that feat

Check out the narrower diameter of the nylon rode showing it is under a fair load:

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 13:24   #212

Awesome photos. I especially like the Sharks and the one of the old bike. good Stuff. Keep it coming.
SailingJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 00:01   #213

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Three centimetres of miniature beauty!

Thanks to Reach, when it came to making an ID, the cilla on the forehead alerted me that these may be a species of blenny. Sure enough, loads of photos on Google confirmed that these were the Black headed blenny (Microlipophrys nigriceps):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-headed_blenny.

Dots ranging from white to bright blue on a black head with a vibrant red body qualify this fish as being gaudy enough for the South Pacific or Caribbean . A couple of these little guys were playing in the shadows under a rock ledge only about a metre down. They obligingly froze for photos, just as the camouflaged blenny had, making them ideal subjects.

The swell surging both me and and fish didn't help capture a sharp image (note the depth of focus is not much more than a few millimetres), nor did the dark location. Reach, your tip of steading myself with a gloved hand worked very well - thanks for that.

Old 20-08-2015, 10:31   #214

Boat: Dolphin 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

Thanks to Reach, when it came to making an ID, the cilla on the forehead alerted me that these may be a species of blenny. Sure enough, loads of photos on Google confirmed that these were the Black headed blenny (Microlipophrys nigriceps):

Dots ranging from white to bright blue on a black head with a vibrant red body qualify this fish as being gaudy enough for the South Pacific or Caribbean . A couple of these little guys were playing in the shadows under a rock ledge only about a metre down. They obligingly froze for photos, just as the camouflaged blenny had, making them ideal subjects.

The swell surging both me and and fish didn't help capture a sharp image (note the depth of focus is not much more than a few millimetres), nor did the dark location. Reach, your tip of steading myself with a gloved hand worked very well - thanks for that.

Brilliant red coloring! These are nice blenny shots ~ you captured that cool spiky first dorsal fin in profile.

Again with your inspiration, thought it'd be fun to share a few photos of the black-headed blenny's Caribbean cousins (I detect a few bars on the back), the saddled blenny and rosy blenny.

For certain a gloved hand for steadying is key and shallow waters can sometimes be more challenging with flotation. I also use "spot" focus mode on my camera that helps get a crisp shot with good depth of field & also pinpointing these small subjects... Of course, I also take tons of shots hoping one or two turn out well!

Loved your OCD octopus pics (haha)... what a tidy garden she has.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000767.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	107647   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010568.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	107648  

Name:	P1020488.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	107649   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010489.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	107650  

Old 20-08-2015, 11:22   #215

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Shot of the Rose Castle in St. Johns Newfoundland.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Darkness Beckons Rose Castle 07-22-2014 sm.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	107651  
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 11:39   #216

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
.... Of course, I also take tons of shots hoping one or two turn out well!
That first shot is so sharp! I can see the blenny's lips so clearly.

I follow the same general principle as the idea of a monkey typing Shakespeare: given infinite time and an infinite number of shots, one will show the subject smiling at the camera and in focus .

I took dozens of photos of these red blennies and only three were vaguely useable. Anchors are much more obliging than fish .

SWL

Old 20-08-2015, 11:42   #217

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Wrecks are fascinating. I am amazed what good condition some of them stay. Hard to believe that shot is of a boat sunk in WWII.

What depth was the Rose Castle? And what thickness wetsuit do you use in these waters?

SWL

Old 20-08-2015, 11:51   #218

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Magnificent clarity and colour, and well done for the cold water diving. I did all my quals in either Scotland or off the coast of Nova Scotia. Some beautiful stuff if you have patience and skin for it!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 11:52   #219

Quote:

Marvellous little find. Never seen one quite like that.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 20-08-2015, 12:19   #220

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Wrecks are fascinating. I am amazed what good condition some of them stay. Hard to believe that shot is of a boat sunk in WWII.

What depth was the Rose Castle? And what thickness wetsuit do you use in these waters?

SWL
Depth of the photo was about 110 - 120 ft approximately. The wreck is in 160 ft of water. Sunk in the Bell Island anchorages by a German U-boat in November of 1942.

The water was about 36 deg, F if I recall correctly. Was wearing a Viking Pro dry suit with 400 gm thinsulate underwear.

Physics can't explain it but there is 100 deg. difference between 36 deg. water and 42 deg. F water. That day I felt cold on the dive.

Thanks for asking have attached a couple more pictures of the Rose Castle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kraig Meets Fish PLM-27 07-22-2014 sm.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	107652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rose Castle 07-22-2014 sm.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	107653  

LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 12:30   #221

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Depth of the photo was about 110 - 120 ft approximately. The wreck is in 160 ft of water. Sunk in the Bell Island anchorages by a German U-boat in November of 1942.

The water was about 36 deg, F if I recall correctly. Was wearing a Viking Pro dry suit with 400 gm thinsulate underwear.

Physics can't explain it but there is 100 deg. difference between 36 deg. water and 42 deg. F water. That day I felt cold on the dive.

Great shots! I have just been reading about the two sinkings at Bell Island by a U boat. My knowledge of WWII is sketchy. I had not realised there had been German attacks in North America.

I have never done any truly cold water diving, though would be tempted with a wreck like that to check it out. I guess a little more natural padding would make it more tolerable though .

SWL

Old 20-08-2015, 14:13   #222

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Lake Superior:

My hat's off to you, sir! Too cold, too deep for this wimp!

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures.

Ann
Old 20-08-2015, 15:48   #223

Quote:

Great shots! So are you diving trimix? 48 meters is plenty deep. I always get narced below 40 meters but then I dive air (I know, I know… ). Deepest ever dive on air for me was to the stern of the Calvin Coolidge in Vanuatu, at 65 meters, and there's a shot of that earlier in this thread. I'll attach a few more here from different dives which were wreck penetrations there, 30 to 45 meters. Much warmer though!

The shots are of the first class dining room, some tight spaces in the corridors, a blast hole in the hull through which we were ascending (made later for salvage), the grand staircase (the rather curved structure) and the illuminated football like things were aircraft drop tanks which were used as an early delivery system for Napalm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10359233_10154392793795038_1323889379017656771_n.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	107668   Click image for larger version

Name:	10365798_10154392709400038_6669329524877726803_n.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	107669  

Name:	10455272_10154392792370038_5212816345747191731_n.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	107670   Click image for larger version

Name:	10501761_10154392710010038_1147064024573228666_n.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	107671  

Name:	10526094_10154392709855038_2945259750006797177_n.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	107672   Click image for larger version

Name:	10534478_10154392791615038_2624374060768170368_n.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	107673  

Old 20-08-2015, 17:02   #224

Quote:

… and I have yet to do any technical diving for depth. Somthing that is an ambition of mine. As is diving more coldwater wrecks. I have done a few in Scotland, including the Karlsruhe in Scapa Flow, but would love to learn more and you look like someone who knows plenty!
Old 20-08-2015, 22:51   #225

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Great shots! So are you diving trimix? 48 meters is plenty deep. I always get narced below 40 meters but then I dive air (I know, I know… ). Deepest ever dive on air for me was to the stern of the Calvin Coolidge in Vanuatu, at 65 meters, and there's a shot of that earlier in this thread. I'll attach a few more here from different dives which were wreck penetrations there, 30 to 45 meters. Much warmer though!

The shots are of the first class dining room, some tight spaces in the corridors, a blast hole in the hull through which we were ascending (made later for salvage), the grand staircase (the rather curved structure) and the illuminated football like things were aircraft drop tanks which were used as an early delivery system for Napalm.
That is history close to home. As a former cruise liner (and it wasn't that old when it went into military service) the Coolidge arrived in Melbourne not long after Pearl Harbour. I take it that it sank near intact later that year. With many of the original interior fittings would be an absolutely fascinating wreck to dive on.

Scarpa Flow holds less appeal for me. It is not just the cold. That patch of water is a graveyard .

SWL

Tags
photo, photography, water