Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 06:02   #91

Boat: Dolphin 460
Re: Underwater Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
This is the type of underwater flora typically found here. Snorkelling on the surface a brownish field is all that is apparent, but up close and personal the beauty is revealed.

Another request for IDs . I have hunted high and low with no success.
I see that often and knew it was some kind of algae.

Searched Google images with descriptors until I found that it was white scroll algae.

(was using ribbon as a keyword with no luck & finally found it using the words "white curled algae reef")
Old 06-08-2015, 06:23   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
I see that often and knew it was some kind of algae.

Searched Google images with descriptors until I found that it was white scroll algae.

(was using ribbon as a keyword with no luck & finally found it using the words "white curled algae reef")
Brilliant! That is it .
I will add the name to the photo.

It somehow makes it much more interesting knowing what I am photographing. At the moment I know so little I could not even identify it as an algae, but I will slowly soak it all in.

I have just had a couple of hours diving. Exhausted but feeling very happy . The good thing freediving, is unlike scuba there is no time limit other than governed by exhaustion.

About to settle down and look at photos.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:34   #93

Quote:
Brilliant! That is it .
I will add the name to the photo.

It somehow makes it much more interesting knowing what I am photographing. At the moment I know so little I could not even identify it as an algae, but I will slowly soak it all in.

I have just had a couple of hours diving. Exhausted but feeling very happy . The good thing freediving, is unlike scuba there is no time limit other than governed by exhaustion.

About to settle down and look at photos.

SWL
Yes it'll all sink in. The Reef ID series books by Humann & DeLoach are excellent resources.

...sounds like a perfect day to me!
Old 06-08-2015, 08:52   #94

PS How do you 'resize' your photos on CF for posting a bit larger?

PPS Forgot to ask what camera you are using SWL?
Old 06-08-2015, 08:59   #95

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Anchors have been hogging all the limelight in underwater shots here on CF, so I thought it was about time general photos were given some "exposure" . As more people start to use underwater cameras we should hopefully see some great images such as Hoppy's recent ones of a wreck.

It is not often I come across much of interest in this part of the Mediterranean, but I will kickstart this thread with a shot of a sea creature.

Anyone have any idea what it is? Length was about 15 cm.

SWL

Edited to add:
Reach identified this as a tun shell (family Tonnidae). These are the homes of medium to very large sea snails. The frilly bit are egg casings.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonnidae
Definitely a seasnail in the act of extruding (or feeding on) an egg mass. Don't know the species though.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:26   #96

Re: Octopus's garden

Quote:
I don't know if Ringo ever went diving, but a "garden" is a very apt description of the homes octopii create.

All the ones I have seen (apart from temporary ones under anchors ) have been in pretty barren looking stretches of sand. From the surface, the classic giveaway is a little pile of shells and stones. It is not just the shells of live food that are brought back and eaten, I have seen empty shells moved to new locations when an octopus relocates. Home decoration?

This particular home was dug out under a small rock covered in growth. Note the variety of shells old and new and the delicate white tipped plant growing on the rock.

This was taken freediving at around 8m (26'), Sporades, Aegean, Greece, 4th Aug 2015:

The Beatles Octopus's Garden:

I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus's garden in the shade
He'd let us in, knows where we've been
In his octopus's garden in the shade

I'd ask my friends to come and see
An octopus's garden with me

We would be warm below the storm
In our little hideaway beneath the waves
Resting our head on the sea bed
In an octopus's garden near a cave

We would sing and dance around
Because we know we can't be found

We would shout and swim about
The coral that lies beneath the waves
(Lies beneath the ocean waves)
Oh what joy for every girl and boy
Knowing they're happy and they're safe
(Happy and they're safe)

We would be so happy you and me
No one there to tell us what to do
In an octopus's garden with you
Nice shot of an Octopus' garden. I used to mess with a couple of the local ones many years ago living in BDA. If you rearrange the stuff and come back next day, they will often have put it back where it previously was…
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 06-08-2015, 09:52   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
PS How do you 'resize' your photos on CF for posting a bit larger?

PPS Forgot to ask what camera you are using SWL?
I just download the photos to Photobucket and include the link in the post with [img] added at the beginning of the link and [/img] added at the end. CF downgrades the photo to 400mb, but you have the option of clicking and enlarging the shot.

I am using an Olympus TGi 2. It is waterproof down to 15m on its own, which is enough freediving, but I use it with an underwater housing for added security (makes it waterproof to 40m and adds an extra layer).

I have tried the inbuilt flash and taking a torch with me, but I don't like the effect, so the photos have been taken using natural light.

I am working on an iPad, so I use Snapseed (a simple app) to crop the photos and alter brightness and contrast if needed. I don't play with colour or saturation. I know the photos would improve if I fired up my netbook and used Photoshop, but this exercise is purely for pleasure and the netbook is a nuisance to use.

SWL

Old 06-08-2015, 10:02   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Allogalathea Babai on a yellow Crinoid, Northern slope of Banda Neira in the Banda Spice Islands, Indonesia.
I had to look that one up. What a stunningly coloured lobster! And perfectly camouflaged.

Quote:
Nice shot of an Octopus' garden. I used to mess with a couple of the local ones many years ago living in BDA. If you rearrange the stuff and come back next day, they will often have put it back where it previously was…
A couple of years ago my husband moved an empty shell that an octopus under our anchor had used to "decorate" his home. The octopus did not immediately respond, but when the shell was dropped I watched him reach a tentacle out and possessively sweep the shell back in towards him .

When the octopus moved he took all of his shells with him. They are amazing creatures and I love to seek them out.

SWL

Old 06-08-2015, 10:07   #99

Quote:
Allogalathea Babai on a yellow Crinoid, Northern slope of Banda Neira in the Banda Spice Islands, Indonesia.
Very nice! Obviously teeny tiny on a crinoid.

I love finding those little symbiotic critters ~ here is a spotted cleaner shrimp that is probably bigger than that squat lobster (fingers for perspective not poking).

(Panama)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020391.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	106822  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:11   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Reach, I forgot to add that I select "fish" mode which adds a digital red filter. It is basically an inexpensive "point and shoot" simple camera otherwise.

Lighting is the make and break of any photo. I think you could photograph a cardboard box and have it look like a work of art if the lighting is good .

SWL

Old 06-08-2015, 10:14   #101

Thanks for the info SWL. For now, I'm just attaching an uploaded photo to CF from the computer but may also try a link.

Similar tactics for me - point & shoot underwater camera to 13m (Panasonic Lumix TS5 in "Underwater mode") with natural light. Enjoy!!
Old 06-08-2015, 10:23   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the info SWL. For now, I'm just attaching an uploaded photo to CF from the computer but may also try a link.

Similar tactics for me - point & shoot underwater camera to 13m (Panasonic Lumix TS5 in "Underwater mode") with natural light. Enjoy!!
I bet you are itching to get back in the water and photographing again. In the meantime I would love to see more of your old photos.

I had a ball today. Yesterday was the first time I have seriously attempted photographing anything other than anchors, but that has given me a good grounding.

One other tip for anyone attempting this is to try and hold the camera as still as possible. This is one of the biggest challenges when free diving. Also, as with landscape photography best results are not when the sun is high. You can't leave it too late though, as exposure time lengthens with the duller light and photos are fuzzier due to invariable camera shake.

SWL

Old 06-08-2015, 10:31   #103

Quote:
I had to look that one up. What a stunningly coloured lobster! And perfectly camouflaged.

A couple of years ago my husband moved an empty shell that an octopus under our anchor had used to "decorate" his home. The octopus did not immediately respond, but when the shell was dropped I watched him reach a tentacle out and possessively sweep the shell back in towards him .

When the octopus moved he took all of his shells with him. They are amazing creatures and I love to seek them out.

SWL
Agree about octopi! here is the Allogalathea Babai once again, as I accidentally posted one with watermark previously… not that it matters much.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3672.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	106823  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:38   #104

And a wee hairy squat lobster Lauriea siagiani, from the same formation in the Banda Spice Islands.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3573.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	106824  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:40   #105

Quote:
Very nice! Obviously teeny tiny on a crinoid.

I love finding those little symbiotic critters ~ here is a spotted cleaner shrimp that is probably bigger than that squat lobster (fingers for perspective not poking).

(Panama)
Lovely shot!

Tags
photo, photography, water