Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 14:21   #31

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
We had a Pentax W80 with us in the Bahamas for two months. Took hundreds of excellent photos and videos, above water and below. Just at the end of our trip, the viewfinder started to fog up. Then it didn't respond to commands. . . . After a few days of drying out, it worked again, in a balky way. Sometimes had to click the shutter button two or three times to get a picture etc. Now it's off for repairs under warranty.

I have to say, I *love* that camera when it's working. I've heard similar stories about Olympus and Canon "waterproof" cameras malfunctioning in the same way after immersion, so I think it goes with the territory.

I just wish they could make them truly waterproof to the depths they advertise. Those seals around the hinged card/battery door are not very strong looking. Why not have a screw-down cap with an O-ring?

At the very least, those waterproof cameras are good to have on a boat even if they never go underwater -- just so you don't need to worry about rain, spray, and sand.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 16:01   #32

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Has anyone heard anything about these?
Digital Cameras & Accessories - Citiwide Online - Sanyo Xacti VPC-WH1 WH1 Camcorder

Sanyo Xacti VPC-WH1 WH1 Camcorder

Supposedly 30X optical zoom and can take stills as well, yet I have not been able to find much online about still image quality
Video certainly seems OK

And its cheap

But as I want it to replace my current kodak 3mp with 3x optical, I do want to find out what still quality is like.
Old 05-05-2010, 00:42   #33

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Waterproof to 10ft/3m really means it is splashproof and could possibly be used on the surface or in kayacks/dingys but is not really a diving camera.
A freediver or snorkler can easily dive beyond the limits and would be a risk.

Its a bit like watches - there are waterproof and dive watches. To be safe you need plenty of margin in the depth rating. SCUBA diving to 25m you really need a rating of 40m minimum preferably 60m.

Some examples below
Current Category
Accessories - Camera > Canon Digital Camera Accessories > Underwater Housings for Canon Digital Cameras

For the diving enthusiast - underwater digital camera cases.

All Weather Cases are waterproof to 3 metres.
Underwater Cases are waterproof to 40 metres.

Canon WP-DC36 Underwater Case to Suit IXUS 105 IS
Canon Underwater Marine Housing for Canon IXUS 105 IS WP-DC36 (WPDC36).
Allows diving to 40m.

Next step up is the more professional polycarbonate housings such as the Ikelite brand range.
The final step up for valuable cameras is the various alloy range of housing with ratings of 90 meters.

Ikelite Housing 6870 for Canon 300D
Accommodates:
Canon EOS 300D (Digital Rebel)

Depth Rating:
60 meters (200 feet)

Material:
Corrosion free clear polycarbonate

Features:
Rubber handles, Aluminium base stay, Super-Eye optical viewer, may be ordered with TTL-flash connector, All control functions to access camera

Weight:
approx. 3 kgs

Products:
Nikon D-70 & Sealux CD70
Camera Product Code:
N-D70
Details:
6.1-megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD, advanced digital image processing, and Nikkor optics for vivid photos with sharp detail
Optimised mating of photographic and digital technologies for quick response
Accurate white balance, precision metering, and tone and colour control reproduce even the subtlest details

Housing Product Code:
SL-HND70
Depth Rating:
90 meters (300 feet)
Material:
Machined non-corrosive aluminium body (hard-coated and teflon-coated), titan silver

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 00:52   #34

Cormorant,

The W80 is probably the most waterproof of the so called waterproof cameras. Would be OK in a pool or on the surface but streaching it to take diving. Very useful lens zoom range. Great boat camera not a dive camera.
Old 05-05-2010, 00:58   #35

Boat: Stevens 47
I'm with Terry on this one. I've used a Canon G7 for the last 2 years all through the Caribbean and all the way across the Sth Pacific to NZ. I have taken over 7500 pics and numerous videos underwater with this camera and it's underwater case and it has been outstanding! I have had it down to 32 meters deep while diving without any problems at all. I LOVE this camera and it's underwater case and highly recommend it!

This video was shot with it:

Enjoy
Old 05-05-2010, 23:41   #36

Boat: Baba 35
Before my last trip to the BVI I was determined to shoot decent film while Snorkeling.

The problem of course? Cost. I have a Panasonic Lumix LX3. A great little camera and at $500 I was not ready to purchase another dedicated underwater camera.

The other problem I ran into was that the 10bar underwater housing for the LX3 was 2 times the cost of the actual camera! Bleh.

So after some researching I found a korean company called DiciPak. They make soft underwater cases for all sorts of cameras. My particular case only cost $40. Its not a perfect fit, but worked fantastic in terms of keeping the salt water out. I used it not only in the water but also when filming some serious headwind action, spray and all. I actually kept the Camera in the DiciPak the entire trip.

My next suggestion would be to buy an Underwater filter. They are typically red depending on what kind of water you are going to be in. Again, these can be expensive too. So I found a company that makes the "Magic Filter" which was only $25. It is basically a Gel specifically designed for underwater photography that you cut out to match your lens size. The end result is as close to professional underwater photography as you can for under $100. No more Blue Coral videos!

To sum it up, if you have an existing digital camera that can shoot Video or decent shots, use that! If you don't, just buy a Digital Camera that you would normally use for your trip and get the soft case. No sense in buying something specifically for underwater as it would just sit on the shelf when you are not in the water.

Heres a sample shot I took at Norman Island, BVI.

Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 13:41   #37

Boat: Maxim 380
Canon D10

I have one of those underwater camera's built into the mask. I found it too bulky as a mask and hard to center the photos with no way of knowing until pics or movies are downloaded. Also, there is no noise when video recording.

Since then I purchased a Canon D10. It takes great photos above and below the water. I was particularly impressed with the out of water pictures. And the price was very reasonable. I got a good deal on Ebay.

A bonus is that the video also records sound. Negative is that there is no lens cover and therefore I carry it in a sunglass soft bag. Then I can always wipe the lens clean easily.
mason_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:53   #38
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I finally quit grieving and stripped all the small screws out of my last three digital cameras. (Small screws are impossible to find here.) Anyhow, here's a photo of my Olympus Stylus 770$W, my Olympus Stylus 1030$W, and a Kodak Easy$hare that I just got rid of because it stopped some time back and I finally got up the nerve to throw it out.

I also wanted to do a little autopsy on the two "waterproof to 33 ft." Olympus Stylus. Each camera lasted about a year, by the way. I could tell from the internal corrosion where they each most likely leaked. I think.

The 770 leaked around the little door that covers the USB connector. The 1030 leaked around the microphone.

I presently am on my fifth "waterproof" digital point and shoot. This one is a Pentax W80 Optio, which was bought online. However, when I received it, I quickly decided not to try to even take this one snorkelling. It's designed better than the Olympus as far as waterproof, with all the connectors under one external hatch with a better latch design than Olympus, but the materials of the camera itself are like cheap plastic.

As for photo quality, the W80 is no where close to the quality of the two Olympus Stylus. However, the max optical zoom works well on the Pentax, and it never worked well on either model Olympus.

My next solution is going to be to buy the new Olympu Tough 8000, AND buy the Ikelite clear underwater case for it. Having a "waterproof" underwater camera inside an underwater housing has to be the best solution, even though it will cost me near $ 600. Still, that's better than having a camera crap out every year without fail, and without warning. At least with a clear Ikelite housing I should be able to see if any water is contacting the camera, and hopefully the new Olympus will be able to handle at least a little moisture.
Old 08-05-2010, 14:33   #39

I have one of these:
Waterproof Camera & Camcorder cases

We've used it snorkeling, it's guaranteed to 5m. Some people claim good use deeper but I haven't tried it - might work, but they don't guarantee it.
Takes a little getting used to, but good enough once you have the hang of it, and "attractively priced".
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:01   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
some folks i knew had an olympus underwater digital camera they used for scuba shots--worked great....not too expensive either.....took great pix but i donot know how long it lasted.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 23:31   #41
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
olympus underwater digital camera ......... i donot know how long it lasted.....

not very long, I would guess.
There is an underwater housing made for the camera by Olympus. Buy that when you buy the camera.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 23:54   #42

Be carefull

Waterproof really means splashproof.

5m is better than 3m however these are not diving housings.

There is no cheap solution. Unfortunately.

Great on surface, in rain, or in dingies, on sand.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:44   #43
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
not very long, I would guess.
There is an underwater housing made for the camera by Olympus. Buy that when you buy the camera.
I've been through two of them. I will probably buy another one, the new Tough 8000....BUT I will buy the Ikelite housing for it. Not the Olympus one.
Old 10-05-2010, 16:28   #44

A wise decision Canibal

There is no cheap solution. Unfortunately
Old 10-05-2010, 16:44   #45

Boat: Looking for a new boat
I just bought a Panasonic ts1 all of the reviews online said that was the best one. So far I am kind of disappointed in the picture quality although I haven't really taken a ton of time to read up the specs. It can shoot HD video.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote