Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-02-2010, 12:16   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Yeah Sailndive,

Mine is a Sea & Sea Motormarine IIEX set. We must be the only folks left still using film.

I should be getting a DSLR next thursday. A Pentax K20D chosen for its weather resistant seals. I'd love to use it while diving but a housing is roughly $1,500 to $2,500 and I'd still need a strobe.

Rich
I've go a K10 I've had for several years. I like it a lot and got it because it worked with the lense from my 35mm but last time I looked it was harder to find additional lens for the Pentax digitals. I haven't looked recently.

Old 25-02-2010, 12:37   #17

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchio View Post
Another option is the Flip Ultra HD camcorder; it's not waterproof but you can get a case for under $50 and then you can take 2 hours of Hi Def video. THe Flip is tiny (can fit in your pocket) and is cheap enough that losing it or having it break wouldn't be too heartbreaking.

Looks like a good deal but the case is only good to 30 feet just FYI

so great for being up on top but no diving with it.

Old 25-02-2010, 13:21   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
You can get a housing for just about any camera ever made from B&H in New Jersey. A bit pricey but the one I got for my Nikon Coolpix5200 works great. I have had it down to about 30ft and its had plenty of rough use on the boat and other places the camera might get damaged from water or banging around. All the controls are useable from outside the housing and with a bit of practice it takes good pictures. I love digital cameras. Coming from the time of having to wait(and pay for) pics that may or may not be any good. I take pictures now that if I was using film I'd never even think about trying and some of them come out great..............m
Old 03-04-2010, 23:39   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
This for a recommendation against: I recently purchased a sealife underwater digitial camera after reading many favorable reviews and have to say after 2 weeks of daily use here in the BVIs, I am so-so about it at best. It uses AA batteries instead of a lithium battery typical of most digital cameras. The batteries frequently need replacing after one snorkel trip and maybe 20 images, even when seldomly using the flash. The biggest problem however, is the very weak internal flash which simply is not strong enough to adequately light the subject even at a distance of only 3-4 feet. Even at their widest zoom, many subjects are too large at that distance.

One thing I recommned is to ask to see examples when seeking evaluations. What one person thinks is fantastic another may think is a so-so washed out mostly monotone image.
I am a scuba diver and I have a sealife, see the link below.
It comes with a litium battery, yours must be very early generation the housing on this camra is one of the best I have used rated to 200 ft

SeaLife Cameras - Underwater Digital Camera - DC1000 Elite
Old 04-04-2010, 08:02   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross H View Post
I am a scuba diver and I have a sealife, see the link below.
It comes with a litium battery, yours must be very early generation the housing on this camra is one of the best I have used rated to 200 ft

SeaLife Cameras - Underwater Digital Camera - DC1000 Elite
Is that an SLR model? It looks like it from the link. In addition to the AA battery life, shutter lag was another big problem I had with the point and shoot model. A lithium SLR with a good flash would be another experience all together.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Is that an SLR model? It looks like it from the link. In addition to the AA battery life, shutter lag was another big problem I had with the point and shoot model. A lithium SLR with a good flash would be another experience all together.
Slr is correct and the setting are very easy to use , shutter lag is not a problem.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:21   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross H View Post
Slr is correct and the setting are very easy to use , shutter lag is not a problem.
Good to know, thanks for the quick reply.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:50   #23

If you do end up buying this camera, make sure you rinse the housing well (without the camera inside) in fresh water. I let it sit for a couple of hours playing with the buttons on the housing every 1/2 hr or so making sure all salt water particals are gone, they tend to gum up and not work very well if this is not done.
Old 04-04-2010, 14:04   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
I have an older canon sure shot. found plenty of housings for it on e-bay, relatively cheap.
Old 09-04-2010, 21:47   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I have two Intova cameras, a 6 megapixel and a 10. Great housings. :: INTOVA ::
Old 09-04-2010, 22:19   #26

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. http://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Ahoy, having recent first hand experience with 2 underwater cameras and scuba dives to 25Metres I feel able to give good advice.
Yes, buy the housing for the underwater camera and use it, the pressure at 25 metres is extreme and the camera wont work or give error messages. My daughter's olympus failed at 10 metres, but worked great when dried out and used in the housing. The housing has a special button/lever for actuating the controls under extreme pressure, remember the air inside the camera and the housing is about one fifth it was at the surface, depending on the depth.
My canon in the housing worked great to 7 metres but after that the pressure pushed in the take photo button all the time and I had to switch it on and off each time and it took a great photo instantly.
The other thing is get a big good flash as you need it at 25metres or any depth to get a proper pic, the waterproof cameras are only good for 1.5 metres depth, after that, just open them up in the bucket of water to save the trouble of ruining them underwater!
Save diving from Keith.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:29   #27

Boat: C&C 41
I have a 1 yr. old Olympus Stylus 850 SW. Supposed to be waterproof to 10' or so. First time I used it snorkelling (last week), it failed. Not happy.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:17   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
I have a 1 yr. old Olympus Stylus 850 SW. Supposed to be waterproof to 10' or so. First time I used it snorkelling (last week), it failed. Not happy.
Ahhh thats a shame! Ours has never been the same since it got back from the repairers

It used to take great photos above the surface. And the few below were great too.

The 10 meter bit is just lies. And they must know it as they also make an underwater box from that exact model camera!

And, as you know, the camera ain't a cheapie! You've paid good money and expected a good camera.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 13:14   #29

Boat: Maine Cat 41
The underwater box allows you to go beyond 10 meters, but there are a number of caveats like don't take it from a laying out in the sun (getting a tan!) to plunging in the cool water and make sure you soak it in fresh water for at least 10 minutes (sorry, don't know the metric measurement for time) after every salt water trip.

Having said that, our 1030SW failed in Antigua last year. Olympus repaired it under warranty and then it failed on the first snorkel. They repaired it again under warranty and it has worked OK since, but we really baby it.

Fair Winds,
Mike
Old 04-05-2010, 13:43   #30

Boat: Gufstar Trawler 36' Sea Schooner
I have the older Intovas 700 megapixel value for the dollar is outstanding. Their cases have double oring seals an the cameras work well in or out of the case. No problems for 2 years. Shoots good video to.
Here is a link to a 800 megapixle that looks like the 700

Travel Sports Equipment

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: