Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-07-2006, 23:06   #46

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I installed a 32 inch flat panel LCD and a dvd player, haven't found the best spot to mount the dvd player as of yet, but i've been busy doing other things. I run it off of a small inverter, will run off one battery for at least 6 hours, prolly longer, but i haven't had it running longer as of yet. My inverter has a low battery alarm if it does kill the secondary. We don't watch much TV, but we do like to watch movies and I have a dvd burner so I've been making some "boat copies" so I don't end up ruining my originals.

Old 16-07-2006, 13:19   #47

Boat: SeaView - Privilege 37
I have a 24 inch Dell monitor. It is mounted at my nav station on a Ergotron swinging arm. I can position it so I see it when I am at the nav station. It is also large enough that I can read LARGE sysmbols from the helm station. When we want to watch a movie we position it so we can watch it from the settee. Great! Low power, excellant resolution. So far, it has not given us any problem.

Only issue is securing it when we are underway. Currently, we use velcro ties and secure the articulated arm. One of these days I'll think of a better solution. We attached it to a HTPC that I installed in my electricala panel. That's a BIT of overkill, but it works great! Used a DC-DC power supply. But, it still uses more energy than I like. Probably the Radeon 9800 Pro card I have installed. Way overkill, but I can play games on it when I am bored.

Since we are in the marina for the summer it would probably be better if I got one of the cards that let me tie into the TV/cable system. I don't miss TV that much, so it is not high on the priority list.

Old 04-10-2006, 13:22   #48

Boat: 1979 Brewer 45' Center Cockpit Ketch - Argonaut
Send a message via AIM to peregrins2 Send a message via Yahoo to peregrins2
If anyone IS interested in Follow Me TV, check the Chandlery on the site. I'm listing one.

Thanks,
Diane Stevens
peregrins2@yahoo.com
peregrins2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 15:29   #49
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M
I was looking at those Ergotron mounting arms. Dont know which one you have, but the one I was interested in was for mounting large display to wall.
I thought I saw some places where I could get the thing into the position I wanted ( extended or stowed) and drill a small hole straight through the moving pivot ball so that I could insert a small pin to lock it all in place.

Theres always bungy..
Old 04-10-2006, 15:36   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
A good power boat friend installed the tracking dish and the large plasma TV. He really likes it but it sucks amp hours like there is no end in sight.

Our new boat has a 15 in wide screen LCD and it runs from an inverter. The CD player has a DVD oprtion with a video out connection so the CD player is also a DVD player and is 12 volts. There is a cable comnnection for when you have cable on shore and an antenna connection for on the hook. That is a pretty low cost approach that does not use a lot of power. We tend to watch TV when confined below due to bad weather. Mostly we prefer the sunset show from the cockpit.

A laptop witha 12 volt adapter is a good second choice. The new 15 inch screens play a DVD pretty well.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 16:04   #51
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was looking at http://www.flagshipvideo.com/flatscreen.html and noticed that ALL of the displays listed ("Tatung") operate on 12 vdc.

Please dont tell me you are generating dc to charge batteries, inverting it to AC to plug in your LCD's power supply, which is converting it back to 12 vdc to power the monitor......no....dont tell me that....
Old 04-10-2006, 16:07   #52

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
If i recall correctly LCD's run off of DC, however the inverter is built into the monitor. So yea, if like me you are running off of an inverter, you are inverting dc to ac, then ac to dc. My LCD draws very little amperage even at 32 inches.
Old 04-10-2006, 16:26   #53
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I would be tempted to go find the output of that internal converter and install a radio-shack connector so I could run it right off boats DC...
Old 04-10-2006, 17:57   #54
Moderator Emeritus

You might be tempted but as yet there isn't a product to do this out of the box. You can get several devices that you can use a DC / DC converter such as laptop computers but not yet for LCD TV's other than the types used in automobiles and they cost a lot more for a lot less.

Radio Shack isn't a leader in this pusuit. They actually never have been. I did get some NiMH batteries there today that I could not get at Wal Mart.
Old 04-10-2006, 18:01   #55
cruiser

I also do the lossy multiple current conversions. Why? It's simple to install and more economical, as you can use cheap off the shelf stuff for your entertainment electronics - which will eventually rot out anyway over time.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:24   #56
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
You might be tempted but as yet there isn't a product to do this out of the box. You can get several devices that you can use a DC / DC converter such as laptop computers but not yet for LCD TV's other than the types used in automobiles and they cost a lot more for a lot less.

Radio Shack isn't a leader in this pusuit. They actually never have been. I did get some NiMH batteries there today that I could not get at Wal Mart.
I disagree. There are in fact products out of the box, and Radio Shack does have them. They are called "connectors". I am thinking there is a good chance that an internal ac/dc converter would be a separate module inside the LCD case. It will be bulky and run hot as compared to the other electronics, so the design engineers would likely isolate it. What I was trying to say earlier is that I believe I have the skills to follow the ac power lead to the converter, use my VOM to confirm what its output is, and if its 12 volts, then I could probably install a simple connector somewhere that lets me bring 12 volts into the box from outside, and leave the ac connector to the LCD unplugged.

These things were designed for homes that dont commonly have dc available. Boats have it all over the place. I dont see the sense in wasting it by inefficiently converting it to ac for a short run, then converting back to dc when it gets where it needs to be. Thats all.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:37   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I dont see the sense in wasting it by inefficiently converting it to ac for a short run, then converting back to dc when it gets where it needs to be. Thats all.
I agree it is a waste. It almost doubles the total power consumed. Making AC from DC only to do it again in reverse. You really do lose almost half to heat.

I did it with my computer but it gets more hours of use. The TV gets used not even everyday when aboard and then only a short bit. The most use is at the dock. I think the prices might come down soon. The panels are already coming down and old fashion "tube" displays should be gone in a few more years.

The off the shelf 12 volt TV sets seem to be way over priced due to lack of volume. I have a 12 volt 9 inch color tube set with VCR and it's about $400 to replace that with a similar tube set.

The plasma large screen sets flat out draw too much power made worse with an inverter. My friend says his draws more than his fridge. They use a normal household fridge aboard, but it is a 48 ft power boat with a serious engine and generator.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:50   #58

We used to hoist up an antenna and found reception so unreliable and programming so limited we watch DVDs now. And that last's but a couple of hours and is not a major power consideration.. at least it doesn't seem to be.

It's all hardly worth doing a fixed mount set up.. until programmming and reception issues can be sorted out. Sat TV may be a good option, but that gear is min about $750 (FollowMeTv) without the dish and the controller and the service... so this means you really are going to be watching tv.

OK geniuses.. how many AH are wasted when converting AC to DC for watching a 2 hr DVD on an LCD display?

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Old 05-10-2006, 06:52   #59
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jef,
Someone elswhere on the forum is offering an almost new FollowMe setup for sale.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:05   #60

I know, but the price is not right! hahaha

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: