Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2017, 04:27   #16

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: TV news on demand outside US

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Wife is into USA politics...watches lots of USA stations via USTVNOW. We stream NPR/PRI via their apps too.
OK, I'll grant her this: you can't beat US politics for pure entertainment value.

The problem is, we can't even recommend a news source in a public forum without it becoming a mark of bias, one way or the other. One person's "journalism" is another's "fake news." Nobody wants real journalism because it sometimes paints their team (aka, political party) in a bad light.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 04:50   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Couple of options..

World - BBC News
World News - Al Jazeera English

Edit- just noticed belezesailor post above,
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 05:38   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

You can stream virtually anything shown on TV, anywhere in the world, if you look hard enough for it. To get around the ridiculous geographic limitations on some U.S. sources, just use a VPN. Some paid systems might make it even much easier, for a small fee.

My needs are somewhat different from yours since I don't care much about video news. I read New York Times online and Real Clear Politics, for U.S. news and information about the slow train wreck which is our politics.

I do like radio news, and stream NPR, BBC World Service, Deutsche Welle, and others. Sometimes listen to radio news on shortwave using the SSB -- especially BBC. I like NPR and have it on a really handy app on my Android phone. BBC also has an app which allows you to stream either radio or video news.

We have digital radio throughout Northern Europe, which is broadcast together with the digital TV channels and which can be listened to with a digital TV. Often there are UK and U.S. channels together with the local ones.

For an occasional fix of video news, I generally turn to BBC, although this is nearly as carpy as our own CNN and so forth. BBC is totally simple to stream from their own site, with no geographic limitations.

Al Jazeera and Russia Today are useful for a different perspective on complex events, especially in the Middle East. I am surprised again and again by the quality of these news outlets, although you do have to pick through some propaganda from time to time. But we have to do that with our own news, too, don't we?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 15:11   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
OK, I'll grant her this: you can't beat US politics for pure entertainment value.

The problem is, we can't even recommend a news source in a public forum without it becoming a mark of bias, one way or the other. One person's "journalism" is another's "fake news." Nobody wants real journalism because it sometimes paints their team (aka, political party) in a bad light.
True, we were just joking that political dramas are gonna have to up their game because reality is getting really hard to top.

I think all USA media sources are biased...many so much that they are just obvious propaganda feeds others a bit more subtle.

If I want real news, I take a look at BBC or Al Jazeera.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 17:25   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

By the way, you can now use the free opera.com browser and get a free VPN service built into it, among other things with a US VIN IP address.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 19:17   #21

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Hola - Free VPN, Secure Browsing, Unrestricted Access