Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 08:29   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Trolling for Tuna, One Line or Two?

When sailing they go in the rod holders, when not, they go on the spare bunk.
But I like the idea of under the Bimini
I only carry two, and have five total, had six but lost one due to a cheap WM rod holder. I wouldn't recommend over two, you get into diminishing returns.
Back when I was fishing heavily, we used to tow this thing that looked like a disco ball, was about two ft long, six inches or so around and covered in mirrors. Idea was that it was a fish attractor. I think it worked. It had no hooks and was towed clsoer then the lures, it was supposed to bring fish up from deeper
No idea what it was called though so I don't know what to Google
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:30   #47

Boat: magna 43

I always put out one line. We voted on which plug to use. If we didn't get a hit in an hour change the plug. Which ever kid got to the reel first they got to play the fish. That broke the trip up a little bit. We caught two truck loads of Baracuda and always something good for a dinner. It was even fun to wonder what monster took our bate and took off never to be scene again. Don't forget to pull it in when you stop.
david knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 13:09   #48

Boat: Ericson 35-2

I was about to start the same thread myself

Have discussed the "what should I drag behind me on the way from BC to California" question with half a dozen experienced fishermen. As a result, I carry a couple cedar plugs, plus an assortment of soft plastic squid, 1/4 ounce bullet weights and largish hooks to make squid lures from. Also a 6# collapsible spinning rig and a bunch of light lures for jigging and dinghy fishing, but that's is a separate thing in its own separate box.

One thing everyone told me was to troll on the surface for tuna. Salmon is the opposite story. How far from the boat? Most said 3-4 boat lengths, one said "just behind the end of foamy part of your wake turbulence". How many lines in a spread? "At least two" seems like the right answer, that way you can semi-scientifically compare different presentations side by side (should be at different line length though).

One other thing I vaguely remember was that a shorter line should be on the windward side when reaching. Something to do with less likelihood of a tangle.

Last but not least, there are diving plates you can set at an angle to pull the lure to the side (quite a bit of drag, and it still dives somewhat), or else use a combination of a spinnaker pole and a clothing pin as an improvised outrigger, giving you an ability to run three or even four lines. Of course, if you are already catching more than you can eat with one or two, why bother?
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 13:35   #49
cruiser

Thanks for the tips.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 23:38   #50
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Thanks for the tips.
Had any more luck yet?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:07   #51

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
What the heck, I'm going for it, 'just ordered a second Penn reel. We'll be cruising for the next 15 years and both of us love fresh tuna.
we have caught a bunch of tuna over here - not in the Black Sea through - we use 2 hand lines and have had double hits - bring in one and let the other drown -
if fact we now do little tuna fishing - a couple of nice tuna lasts for more than a couple of days and to be honest we got tired of eating fresh tuna - sounds silly but hey --

oh we did give a couple to some immigration/customs guys in Tunisia after we checked in and boy did they remember us - never had an issue -
we have also given them to dock managers ect - makes a nice way to say thank you
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:15   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We also tire of tuna. My wife sometimes then marinates the meat in Bovril/Marmite/Vegimite. Wow, it certainly makes a difference. Sorry for turning the thread into a culinary one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
we have caught a bunch of tuna over here - not in the Black Sea through - we use 2 hand lines and have had double hits - bring in one and let the other drown -
if fact we now do little tuna fishing - a couple of nice tuna lasts for more than a couple of days and to be honest we got tired of eating fresh tuna - sounds silly but hey --

oh we did give a couple to some immigration/customs guys in Tunisia after we checked in and boy did they remember us - never had an issue -
we have also given them to dock managers ect - makes a nice way to say thank you
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:45   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
We also tire of tuna. My wife sometimes then marinates the meat in Bovril/Marmite/Vegimite. Wow, it certainly makes a difference. Sorry for turning the thread into a culinary one.
Culinary one? You mentioned Vegemite.. that there was the clue that food was not involved....

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:02   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hah.....Weavis, Im aware there might be sensitivity from others that also hail from the Southern Hemisphere. There is great rivalry as you likely know as to which is the best. Im being very PC.
We stick to Bovril for marinating, casseroles, stews etc. Its a great add. We would not use up our Marmite and subsequantly deny ourselves soldiers (not sure if that particular advert was ever used in the colonies known as Great Britain and USA, though). Ive probably started something here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Culinary one? You mentioned Vegemite.. that there was the clue that food was not involved....

Old 04-09-2016, 03:51   #55

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Lightly wrap the filets in some aluminum foil, with or without a few veggies. And perhaps season things with a bit of Lemon Pepper or Old Bay (spices). Put'em on the grill on low, about 10min per side, or until the foil puffs up like Jiffy Pop Popcorn.
Everything poaches together Real Nice.

And if the filets are a bit old, or have been frozen, add a touch of olive oil, & or a small amount of honey to put some moisture & flavor back into'em. Yum.

I LOVE fresh tuna!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:09   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now the honey tip is a new one for me, tx. We have some fantastic Omani honey on board that is fantastic. I usually add staggered slices of tomatoes / onions as well as the spices. Lemon pepper - always added to mushrooms on the braai (bebeque) - usually, sadly, these are tinned. We would love to know if anyone has discovered a way to keep fresh mushrooms for extended periods that actually works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Lightly wrap the filets in some aluminum foil, with or without a few veggies. And perhaps season things with a bit of Lemon Pepper or Old Bay (spices). Put'em on the grill on low, about 10min per side, or until the foil puffs up like Jiffy Pop Popcorn.
Everything poaches together Real Nice.

And if the filets are a bit old, or have been frozen, add a touch of olive oil, & or a small amount of honey to put some moisture & flavor back into'em. Yum.

I LOVE fresh tuna!
Old 04-09-2016, 06:00   #57

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The honey is more to moisten things than to season them, but... It's a very delicate, kind of sideways take on many of the sweeter marinades out there. Such as Teriyaki marinading shark steaks for example.

Sometimes in with the fish I'll add any of the following too, in addition to Bulawayo's veggie choices; thin lemon & orange wedges or rind, green beans, squash slices, corn cob filets, brocolli, & random fridge selections.
Various Italian spices... it's in my DNA

My apoligies for the thread drift. Guess I'm hungry. Well, ok, I always am for good seafood!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:15   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We've only ever knowingly caught one shark (bull) and and we had no intention of trying to put him in the pan. 'Bruce' was not that big, probably about 6ft but having him in the cockpit was not an experience to be repeated. We only brought him on board as we wanted our lure and hook back, which we managed - courtesy of a scaffold pole and a large pair of water pump pliers and with everyone else nervously sat on 'Bruce'. The kids were convinced he followed us for days just waiting for his opportunity to get his own back when we went for a swim. We have never caught or kept a shark since and we have also never eaten a shark steak anywhere. We do have Teryaki on board tho'!!
Dont ask why we had a scoffold pole on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
The honey is more to moisten things than to season them, but... It's a very delicate, kind of sideways take on many of the sweeter marinades out there. Such as Teriyaki marinading shark steaks for example.

And my apoligies for the thread drift. Guess I'm hungry
Well, I always am for good seafood!!! Save me 1.5kg of Tuna, minimum.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:23   #59
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Had any more luck yet?
No luck snce, but I've only had two opportunities. I did purchase a second rig for next season
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:40   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ken, are you using a hand line, a reel, or a rod and reel? Is the issue that something is taking your lure or you are simply not getting bites to start with?
We have found certain types of lures to be more effective than others with selected fish.
Dont ask me why but our large pale pink rubber squids and pale blue ones seem to catch more than all our other types of lures combined. We generally pull ours just below the surface. We have several rods and heaps of reels but seem more successful with just a 50 meter piece of line wrapped around a some scrap ply.

Quote:
No luck snce, but I've only had two opportunities. I did purchase a second rig for next season