Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-03-2009, 21:51   #106
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Since I have had a more than few actinic keratoses frozen off, the suncreen I use is long sleeves, "Florida Keys Fishing hat" and Zinc Oxide.

I will be "gracing the Keys" with my presence in April....Maybe I'll see a few of you at the R.U.S.K. or Anchors Aweigh Clubs.

Old 23-03-2009, 19:31   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Bill:
The problem with your objection, is that itís directed to the reportage, in the popular press, about the study - not to the study (& itís authorsí conclusions) itself.
This is a bit like me holding you to account, not for what you say; but for what someone else says you say (or says you intended to say).
Respectfully,
Gord
Gord,

Yes, and no. These "scientists" were looking for one thing, and only one thing. They never bothered to correct the inaccurate stories, nor object to them or the way they were printed. They WANTED the reporters to take the leap. Having spent a lot of time in academia, I'd guess that they were looking for funding, and searched for something that would "work".

Old 25-03-2009, 15:13   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Gord,

Yes, and no. These "scientists" were looking for one thing, and only one thing. They never bothered to correct the inaccurate stories, nor object to them or the way they were printed. They WANTED the reporters to take the leap. Having spent a lot of time in academia, I'd guess that they were looking for funding, and searched for something that would "work".

I met an MD that while in fellowship got together with a couple of others and submitted for funding a real nice project that would have kept them in the warmer latitudes for a while on a nice catamaran doing "research". They almost got it too. There was just a small part that was overlooked and they did not get the funding. If they had had better help with the wording of the project, said the MD, they would have had a "great time" doing the "research".

Hmmm.....
Old 25-03-2009, 16:33   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I met an MD that while in fellowship got together with a couple of others and submitted for funding a real nice project that would have kept them in the warmer latitudes for a while on a nice catamaran doing "research". They almost got it too. There was just a small part that was overlooked and they did not get the funding. If they had had better help with the wording of the project, said the MD, they would have had a "great time" doing the "research".

Hmmm.....
BINGO!
Old 31-08-2011, 07:01   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Tried Organic Sun Screen?

Given our earlier discussion, this struck me as slightly ironic news.

Scientists hope to harness coral's natural defence against the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays to make a sunscreen pill for humans.

BBC News - Coral could hold key to sunscreen pill

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: