Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2015, 12:36   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Trading with the locals

nob,

I think a whole lot depends on where you are and what they have. An example is that in the Tuamotus, there are no citrus grown. So, while in the Marquesas, stock up on oranges and pomplemousse (huge delicious green fleshed grapefruits). They will be welcome in the Tuamotus, your next stop.

We also carried balloons for children. Friends on another cruising boat knew how to make origami "balls", shaped sorta like a sea biscuit, and kids played with them the same as the balloons.

Bluebooks and pens. We go into used clothing stores and stock up on clothes for children, as well as adults. Some places have a day of the week where you can fill a marketing bag with clothes for a dollar or two. Most parents like getting clothes for their kids. Books from libraries' used books sales.

Cigarettes are welcome many places. You get to choose if you feel okay about carrying them and disseminating them. We never have. Friends did.

fish hooks, light line and small yo-yo's.

When you're trading, after the trade is done, add a little sweetener, an extra little something you think they might like. Chances are they will be able to gift it to someone else, and that's what you gave them, the opportunity to give a strategically important small gift.

Small bottles of cooking oil as well as bags of flour are appreciated where the supply ship hardly ever comes. Small boxes of sugar cubes.

Small soaps and shampoos. If you have a friend in the hotel industry, that kind and size make welcome gifts for people whose only soap is harsh and blue. Some places, colognes and perfumes are very hot items.

Ann
Old 29-09-2015, 12:58   #17

Boat: Cape Dory 28

These are all great ideas. I'm trying to find the most valuable trade items for the size and weight. My boat is smaller than a lot of yours so it can't carry too much but I would like to do a lot of trading, and also use it to pay for anchoring if the village charges visitors for anchoring in their lagoon.

So far I think fish hooks and line are the best. Flip flops are good. Small kids clothes. School supplies. AA batteries. Pocket flashlights.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 20:38   #18

I sail a wile together with a Australian boat and he had a small projector and gif in the evening a cartoon or movie evening for the kids with popcorn. It was very popular in the Salomon's and you know in one hour the complete village.

I gif never cigarettes or alcohol, in the most places bring it only troubles.

Gif not to match and keep it in a balance. If you gif to match than lose you there respect and bring it noting goods for you or the next boats!!
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 21:06   #19

Trade wit respect for the values. 10 bananas are nothing worth, same with coco nuts. They falling out the trees!
Tomato's, pineapple and this thing need care and this need a lot of care and need a lot of labor. Depends on the quality and this is different from place to place is there a value on the market. I tray always to compare this local value wit a value from the thing watt I trade.

Some like to pick up your garbage and throw it than in the firs green place or even in the bay, this is properly the worst trade watt you can do.

I will never pay or trade for anchor fee, this are the worst places watt I have seen wit the wrong mentality.

sometimes a difficult balance and trading is sometimes better than money in isolated islands, this go to cigarettes or alcohol.
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 23:24   #20

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I like rolls of screen.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:27   #21
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

How about growing small fancy vegetables on large cat's trampoline? Sell to cruisers and charterers in the Carib
Old 08-10-2015, 13:05   #22
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Or you could support the local economies of the countries you are a guest in. Buy local.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 13:57   #23
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Or you could support the local economies of the countries you are a guest in. Buy local.
unless the locals don't grow what you grow on your boat. A boat farmer would never be able to compete with a terrestrial farmer.

kind of like bringing fish hooks, screen, etc. - don't bring those items to US ports, but you might bring Polynesian handcrafts you picked up in Vanuatu.
Old 08-10-2015, 15:01   #24

Boat: IP 40

Great thread, lots of great ideas here
Old 08-10-2015, 15:08   #25
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

I've always considered cruising as a chance to experience foods, people and places other than my home country. BTW, most nations without land borders take biosecurity pretty seriously and are on the look out for plant borne pests.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal