Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2011, 12:23   #226
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Berg the last few years I've started bruising very easily on my forearms and developed a sorta growth on the back of my hands and it grew... first my left hand a coupla years back... and this summer the same on my right hand... about the size of a dollar coin and tender with hard dry skin and swollen like a hard saltwater boil.
Remedy... a sharp knife to cut/scrape away the dead skin till it bleeds then a paste of Tumeric covered with a large plaster... moisten plaster every day and replace if/when needed for 7 days....
1 month later its gone without a trace...
Both hands are currently free of blemishes...
Don't ask me what it was... don't do doctors unless somethings broken beyond my repair
omg, i wish i didnt read this...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 12:30   #227
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
omg, i wish i didnt read this...
LOL.... hard core basic medicine n boats.... needles, silk thread, super glue, splints and paracetamol with loadsa herbs and spices....
So anyway.... if you see a guy out there whose yellow skinned and covered in bandaids... its only me treating my sun damage....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 12:43   #228

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
LOL.... hard core basic medicine n boats.... needles, silk thread, super glue, splints and paracetamol with loadsa herbs and spices....
So anyway.... if you see a guy out there whose yellow skinned and covered in bandaids... its only me treating my sun damage....
--and duct tape. Don't forget the duct tape
Old 18-01-2011, 14:13   #229

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Boatman, just taking the opportunity to say that for the most part I agree with your sailing life outlook and philosophy. You can be counted on for interesting alternative, natural remedies... you should consider writing up what you've accumulated over the years. I'd flick a few $ your way for a general home remedies 'manual' .

I don't know if you've come across Dr Johanna Budwig's cancer work. Her methods were simple but never got traction because there was no opportunity for big $ commercial exploitation, even though she was nominated for a Nobel prize at least half a dozen times.

I'm considering including her combination of yoghurt and linseed oil as an easy daily food supliment. I'm also fair skinned etc and it would be so simple to include in salad dressings, breakfast cerial etc. and it would probably create a cancer resistant environment.
Seems to be something about that food combo that knocks the hell out of cancers, in her experience.
Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 14:28   #230
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Vic... most are simple things that my G'mother and Mom used to do... like remove all the 'eyes' from potato's, gut shrimp, use fresh garlic and ginger in cooking... onions are high in vitamins, chilli's loaded with natural anti biotics.... etc
Knowledge thats been lost in the progress? of the last 50yrs....
I ROFLing when organic farming was heralded as a huge breakthrough....

Old 18-01-2011, 15:09   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
....I'm considering including her combination of yoghurt and linseed oil ......Seems to be something about that food combo that knocks the hell out of cancers, in her experience.
Vic
I think Linseed oil would knock the hell out of most things (except the english cricket team of course - linseed oil has no effect when used on Ozzie bats )

I have also heard that chopping oinions and garlic and allowing them to stand for 10 minutes creates a reaction between some chemical in the plant and oxygen in the air. If the onions/garlic is ingested after that period of time it seems to reduce the risk of prostate cancer. There was a program on the BBC about it last year.

"This uniquely large data set from southern European populations shows an inverse association between the frequency of use of allium vegetables and the risk of several common cancers. Allium vegetables are a favorable correlate of cancer risk in Europe. "

Onion and garlic use and human cancer ? Am J Clin Nutr
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 22:21   #232

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
I think Linseed oil would knock the hell out of most things (except the english cricket team of course - linseed oil has no effect when used on Ozzie bats )

You're a cruel man, Minty. We flooded Queensland to try to get the media attention off the Ashes test. Please try to respect the sacrifice we made for the sake of our pride.

Actually, I was born and grew up in South Africa... seems I could claim a bit of your victory too

Interesting info on the garlic and onion too. I didn't realize cancer was so sensitive to bad breath!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 01:55   #233

Quote:
You're a cruel man, Minty. We flooded Queensland to try to get the media attention off the Ashes test. Please try to respect the sacrifice we made for the sake of our pride.

Quote:
Interesting info on the garlic and onion too. I didn't realize cancer was so sensitive to bad breath!
It seems that the best protection against many diseases is a healthy life style and diet. Common sense really. For those who sail nude I think the best approach is to build a protective tan first and then avoid heavy direct exposure.

I'll put up with bad breath if it stops my prostate from going bad - I'll just fed the missus onions as well even though she lacks a prostate.
Old 19-01-2011, 14:03   #234

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
PS... I smoke knowing the risk very well...

1. In vitro and epidemiological studies have demonstrated a potential link between chronic inflammation and cancer. Herbs and spices intake, especially in therapeutic dosages, may help decrease inflammation.

What causes the lung cancer from smoking is the constant irritation from the tiny fragments (basically barbed fiberglass shards) of filter that are stuck in the lungs.

It is in that huge Govt report that no one has read yet is constantly quoted about the dangers of second hand smoke. Which is BS.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 14:14   #235
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
What causes the lung cancer from smoking is the constant irritation from the tiny fragments (basically barbed fiberglass shards) of filter that are stuck in the lungs.

It is in that huge Govt report that no one has read yet is constantly quoted about the dangers of second hand smoke. Which is BS.
LOL.... no worries then... been rolling my own for near on 35yrs..

Old 19-01-2011, 14:50   #236
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i am a poster child for second hand smoke(rofl) and my sister has melanoma and my model and ziegfield girl great aunt died of melanoma......i think it is genetic tendency with a kicker from sunshine to a degree-- wtf--we all die of something-- why not have a good time doing it?? all the bs and fol de rol of gummint paid whomevers to rid us of our enjoyment of life. sorry i dont go for it. just more propaganda and hype and programming. i am going sailing..
moderation works....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 03:46   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

Explain increased cancer rates amongst smokers of roll-ups, cigars and pipes in that case. If you breathe in proven carcinogens every day for years then what do you expect to happen?
Old 20-01-2011, 10:44   #238

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Explain increased cancer rates amongst smokers of roll-ups, cigars and pipes in that case. If you breathe in proven carcinogens every day for years then what do you expect to happen?

Don't have the data any more. Not going to look it up again either. They are lower by far.
Pipe smokers get tongue and lip cancer - constant irritation again.

Don't get me wrong. I did not say smoking does not influence getting cancer. Even rolled smokes introduce tars and heat = constant irritation.

I said filter fragments are more irritating and most of the second hand smoke issues are BS. That's all.

Stick with the mass media. They usually know what is what.

Does sailing nude increase the risk of ovarian or breast cancer?
Old 20-01-2011, 10:48   #239
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
back back guys and girls to the 89500345 posts on nude sailing not smoking...

DAve
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 10:54   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
back back guys and girls to the 89500345 posts on nude sailing not smoking...

DAve

Some of the nude sailors I have seen at the Gasparilla festival here in Tampa (coming up soon) are smokin'.

Tags
sail