Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2008, 08:19   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I used to sail nude and then one day We had a guster and I blew the spinaker sheet to stop the boat from broaching. Unfortunately I was sitting on the lazy end.

Whodda thunk a spinaker sheet knew how to tie a clove hitch all by itself.

On the bright side when the sheet hit the water we caught a great baramundi for dinner...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 08:39   #32
Shu

Boat: Down East Yacht, 42' Danser Nu
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I used to sail nude and then one day We had a guster and I blew the spinaker sheet to stop the boat from broaching. Unfortunately I was sitting on the lazy end.

Whodda thunk a spinaker sheet knew how to tie a clove hitch all by itself.

On the bright side when the sheet hit the water we caught a great baramundi for dinner...
Well then the day wasn't a total loss. You not only learned how well a clove hitch works, but you got to reminisce over a fresh caught dinner! How could that get any better? Ah! Perhaps some grog to dull the nervous system.
Old 13-09-2008, 09:29   #33
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Sailing in the nude one must be careful sitting down. One wouldn't want to place delicate flesh on anything hot, example a hinge......OUCH!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 09:38   #34
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
We were expecting i2frolic opinion on this matter, thanks
Old 13-09-2008, 09:55   #35
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
LOLOLOLOL....Soft Air,

I hope one of these days our paths cross. We can sit down, and share a chilled drink, and watch a sunset!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 10:00   #36
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I am expecting likewise i2frolic, I have never sailed on a Catamaran and this could be my prime time and best of all...for free

If you still like classic monohulls you are of course welcome to board the only hull I got.

I am from Colombia so alcohol and food will be plenty lol the boat will be either in Bocas del Toro, Panama or Tunisia to be defined within the next few weeks, I love to welcome cartoon type sailors like yourself and Sully
Old 13-09-2008, 10:22   #37

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Recently I chartered in the BVIs. Now, I think both the BVIs and charter crowd tend to be a bit more on the conservative side compared to other sailing areas and other cruisers. However, I had one experience I found quite amusing:

We were the only boat anchored near the Sandy Spit late one evening and early the next morning and we were anchored a ways out. While there, we repeatedly witnessed one boat arrive, realize they were the only ones there, strip down and go skinny-dipping or sun bathe, only to quickly cover up when an other boat came. Often the first boat having lost their privacy would leave, and the next group, realizing they now had the islands to themselves, would strip down.

I just found it humorous how many people were comfortable going nude and would have been comfortable with others doing the same but because they were all trying to be sensitive to others who might not be so open, nobody realized it and all probably thought they were the minority.

In the French Islands people didn't seem to feel the same need to cover up or be as discreet.

I realize this wasn't about actually sailing nude, but I thought it was an interested related observation.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 11:03   #38

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
I am not generally a "hang around nude" kinda guy but do to some irrelevent hijinx I am sitting at the table naked. I saw this thread and had to reply!
Old 13-09-2008, 21:49   #39
Shu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Long View Post
I am not generally a "hang around nude" kinda guy but do to some irrelevent hijinx I am sitting at the table naked. I saw this thread and had to reply!
Humm. you gotta be careful of those who engage in Hijinx 'cause you may just be their victum!
BTW, is that table at your own house?
Old 13-09-2008, 22:28   #40

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
My own boat!
Old 14-09-2008, 03:55   #41

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Long View Post
Thanks for the visual!
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 07:39   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I would not care for it myself. I don't see the point in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu View Post
The point of it is freedom from the restriction of clothes that bind and pinch. Ever go skinny dipping, or nude hot tubbing? Feels a lot different than in a suit. A lot more comfortable.
And yes, you do need to be careful of the sun, as well as cold water (don't need the shrinkage).
Ok..good point. I never go in the hot tub with clothes on. At least not when it is just my wife and I.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 08:38   #43
Shu

Talking

Well now there you go. You already have a basic understanding of the nude experience. When sailing it's much the same thing, except you now have the same comfort and the warm breezes flowing all around your body besides. It really is quite liberating.
Besides that it seems to be a legitimate way to navigate.
I have been reading a book called "We the Navigators". It's about the ancient art of navigating in the South Pacific without compass. It seems the professional navigators would use the stars, sun, wind as well as the birds , luminesence of water and the direction of swells to set their course. The part that really got me was how some would call it "Sailing by the Seat of Their Pants" they would tell the swell directions by the way their testicals would swing!
Now lets see you do that in restrictive clothing.
Old 14-09-2008, 10:39   #44

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu View Post
Well now there you go. You already have a basic understanding of the nude experience. When sailing it's much the same thing, except you now have the same comfort and the warm breezes flowing all around your body besides. It really is quite liberating.
Besides that it seems to be a legitimate way to navigate.
I have been reading a book called "We the Navigators". It's about the ancient art of navigating in the South Pacific without compass. It seems the professional navigators would use the stars, sun, wind as well as the birds , luminesence of water and the direction of swells to set their course. The part that really got me was how some would call it "Sailing by the Seat of Their Pants" they would tell the swell directions by the way their testicals would swing!
Now lets see you do that in restrictive clothing.
Read the same thing and a TV show also covered the subject but with out detailed photo coverage LOL. Seems as though the ancient Polynesians could also tell when they were nearing large land masses from the water pressure on those sensitive parts. Personally, I never attempted to calibrate or test for accuracy on this system Nope just give me the GPS and weather reports thank you!

It was an interesting TV show and article full of other info useful to the less equipped sailor/ sailoretts???
Old 14-09-2008, 11:02   #45

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 311

Back in the 1970s you rarely saw another boat in the south of France with clothed people on board. However in Port Man opposite the Isle du Levant, whilst wearing something called a minimum, I was pulled up by a gendarmes boat and handed a notice about indecency. When I went to point out all the French boats with total nudity, I found them all sitting on deck in bikinis grinning away. Strangely nudity is far less common in the med now than it used to be.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JamesFrance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail