Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-05-2015, 08:10   #76

Re: Taking fold-up bikes - yay or nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay-pants View Post
Hi everyone

I'm keen to know what you think of taking fold-up bikes along for a circumnavigation. We have a 44ft Farr, so should be space somewhere. Just don't tell my partner because he thinks its a silly idea.

I just love the idea of seeing more of the places we visit than we can see on foot, without the expense of hiring some form of wheels.

So here are my questions - has anyone kept bikes on board and found them worth the space they take up? Do they rust quickly? Did you find you barely used them or preferred to hire a scooter?

Cheers
Before you go out and spend 1,000.$ to 3,000$ on bikes and take on weekly maintenance, 3K$ buys a lot of taxi and jitney rides.

Old 20-05-2015, 08:12   #77

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post

When I mentioned those earlier in the thread, I'd only just glanced at the specs. They do have some features I'd prefer -- no chain, internal hub, decent rear rack. OTOH, 31 lbs for the folder is a tad on the beefy side, and they're pricier than many. (Perhaps neither is insurmountable.)

No insight into fasteners, though, and if they've used mild steel... the extra price might not get a rust-proof bike.

Would maybe be worth a phone chat with the Dynamic people, though, for somebody in the market (if price and weight aren't barriers). Also, for those who don't need a folder, the standard bikes would probably eliminate some of the potentially rust-attracting hardware.

-Chris

Old 20-05-2015, 08:14   #78

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
how tall are you?
Why, you wanna fight?

The Montague bikes we have have 26" wheels.
Old 20-05-2015, 08:14   #79

We are currently sailing French canals and med.
Fold up bikes invaluable for supplies and fuel.
And you get to see much more further afield.
We have 32ft motor boat and they stow easily below.
Go for aluminium and 20" wheels & panier rack handy
Tender essential also.

Sent from my V719_3G_CORE4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-05-2015, 08:19   #80

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Why, you wanna fight?

Some folders can provide a seat height suitable for taller folks, some don't. And then some full-size bikes are too tall for some people.

-Chris
Old 20-05-2015, 08:32   #81

Boat: Switch 51

Should have made this thread a poll.
Old 20-05-2015, 08:32   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Some folders can provide a seat height suitable for taller folks, some don't. And then some full-size bikes are too tall for some people.

-Chris
I'm 5'8" & Missy's 5'2" so heights not really a problem. However, I'm not really recommending these unless you have a lot of room. While they do fold up easily & fit in a bag, with wheels this big the total package is pretty large & unwieldy although they are easier to stow than regular bikes.
Old 20-05-2015, 08:36   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

We lugged a pair of fold bikes around for several years. Almost never used them. Finally sold them. They take up a lot of room on your boat. They are a pin to get ashore, especially in a dinghy

Better to buy a couple of granny style two wheeled carts to lug your provisions/fuel on. We have two.

Taxis/buses are usually cheap.

Oh - we live in Copenhagen so we cyckle regularly (many time per week)
Old 20-05-2015, 09:10   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcruiser View Post
We are currently sailing French canals and med.
Fold up bikes invaluable for supplies and fuel.
And you get to see much more further afield.
We have 32ft motor boat and they stow easily below.
Go for aluminium and 20" wheels & panier rack handy
Tender essential also.

Sent from my V719_3G_CORE4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
However,

On the English and French canals bikes are a must.
Old 20-05-2015, 09:55   #85
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Quote:
Why, you wanna fight?

Duh, they ALL have 26 inch wheels. Including the two I bought. Which my wife and I absolutely hate. In fact she put hers aside after one month riding around Ft. Collins, and I bought her a different bike entirely. And I will be junking my new Montague in about two months. I'm going to try to get a trade in for the two of them at a bike shop.

I asked your height, which you seem nervous about, because one of our major complaints with the Montaque X-50s is that there is not enough adjustement in them for me. I bought a longer seat stem to get the seat higher to get my legs in a more comfortable riding extension. I bought a new riser to get the handlebars higher to match my new higher seat position. I bought a new stem with a longer extension so I didn't feel like I was being jammed up. Didn't work. The geometery of the bike is wrong. The components are of poor quality. The thing is made all of steel. It's NOT worth $800.

Perhaps you bought the $ 2500 model, and are a lot shorter than I am. You must be shorter. otherwise you wouldn't have the obvious complex about it. And maybe you're right. Montagues fit short people.
Old 20-05-2015, 10:04   #86

Boat: Trader 39 11.8mts. Carlina
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian Streten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Streten View Post
Because of medically associated problems both my wife & I are unable to ride bikes anymore. Also it has meant that we can no longer sail a yacht safely anymore because we can't react quickly enough to any sail emergency that might occur. That is why we own a Trader Trawler yacht. The big advantages of this to us it allows us the room to have a small 125cc motor bike & it travels quite successfully on our aft deck. We have a hydraulic crane that enables us to load it off & on quite easily. We have had it for four years now & yes we have to take quite a bit of care with regard to the vagories of the climate it is subjected to but with silicone & WD40 etc. we manage to keep it in pretty good condition. The beauty of this facility is that we think nothing of taking a hundred mile tour from our boat which enhances our cruising life. We are currently enjoying the Greek Ionian with not much of an intention of moving on. With the format of all the islands in this area 'Horace the Honda' is a very important part of our crew.
Sorry with regard to not posting picture but hope I have now got my head around how to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0098.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	102404  
Old 20-05-2015, 10:04   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Duh, they ALL have 26 inch wheels. Including the two I bought. Which my wife and I absolutely hate. In fact she put hers aside after one month riding around Ft. Collins, and I bought her a different bike entirely. And I will be junking my new Montague in about two months. I'm going to try to get a trade in for the two of them at a bike shop.

I asked your height, which you seem nervous about, because one of our major complaints with the Montaque X-50s is that there is not enough adjustement in them for me. I bought a longer seat stem to get the seat higher to get my legs in a more comfortable riding extension. I bought a new riser to get the handlebars higher to match my new higher seat position. I bought a new stem with a longer extension so I didn't feel like I was being jammed up. Didn't work. The geometery of the bike is wrong. The components are of poor quality. The thing is made all of steel. It's NOT worth $800.

Perhaps you bought the $ 2500 model, and are a lot shorter than I am. You must be shorter. otherwise you wouldn't have the obvious complex about it. And maybe you're right. Montagues fit short people.
Chill dude. We're just talking about bikes.
Old 20-05-2015, 10:22   #88

Boat: Trader 39 11.8mts. Carlina
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian Streten

Quote:
Chill dude. We're just talking about bikes.
My understanding was that the discussionn was about possible modes of transport available for boats. Like us all we have to set our cruising lifestyle up to correspond with our personnal situation, DUDE!!
Old 20-05-2015, 10:54   #89

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Before you go out and spend 1,000.$ to 3,000$ on bikes and take on weekly maintenance, 3K$ buys a lot of taxi and jitney rides.
Not to mention having one stolen, then you still have to pay for taxi's as well.

I like the electric scooter plan, because the battery can also run the electric motor in my dinghy.. as always, boat stuff needs to do two things to be worth carrying on board.
Old 20-05-2015, 11:11   #90

Boat: Able 50

Montague bikes come in 3 frame sizes meaning that matching the frame to your body is pretty important. They are not the ideal bike for anyone over 6'3" but neither is any other mountain bike. All frames built by Montague are aluminium and all models share the same frame.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: