Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 13:42   #1

Tablets for cruising

It's time to buy tablets for my wife and I.... which has the best chartplotter apps?
Thanks
Carlton
gcaskew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 13:50   #2

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"
Re: Tablets for cruising

Navionics

I'm impressed with it's accuracy here on the east coast, not sure how good it is in other countries though.

Try these too:

Predict Wind
Anchor Watch
Marine Traffic
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 14:50   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I'm happy with my iPad and iNavX. Not happy with being locked into Verizon. If you go with an iPad be sure to get the 3G or 4G not just wifi. And if you select T-Mobile or ATT you can change the SIM card to a local provider if you travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 15:00   #4

I just bought a Nexus 7, Android system, 32 gig at Best Buy for $260. I plan on dedicating it to boat stuff. I installed MXMariner as a chartplotter, another 10 bucks, and GoPilot as a land gps for free. I've put on good weather apps as well. This tablet does not have phone capability, only WIFI. Since it has internal gps it works without WIFI. I'm well satisfied.
blackkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 15:17   #5

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

Garmin Bluechart G2 is in my opinion the hands down winner right now.. Maps are the same G2 explorer charts you buy on the chartplotter only less money. I've got 2 Ipads and an Iphone, they all have loaded charts from FL to Trinidad, down through the Panama canal, that was 44 bucks worth of maps and the app is free. If you've got a new Garmin chartplotter you can connect it directly to the tablet, or you can get an adapter for older models and do the same thing.. If all that's not enough, it's got Active Captain built into the app!
Old 10-02-2014, 17:30   #6

Boat: Beneteau 323

The answer depends on where you are sailing.

If you are in the US then a Samsung 7 with MX Mariner and a strong Internet connection occasionally to download chart regions is pronably the cheapest option. Works great as long as you keep your tablet dry.

For the Bahamas you need Garmin charts because they match the Explorer Chartbooks. But if you are going to the Bahamas you really should invest in a chartplotter. Preferrably Garmin.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 18:02   #7

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I have both MxMariner and Plan2Nav (a Jeppesen product) installed on my Android Nexus 7. MxMariner works with free downloaded NOAA raster or vector charts. Plan2Nav has C-Map vector charts and the whole east coast including Bahamas (nicely detailed) costs $20. It also lets you download ActiveCaptain data so you can use it offline.

Both work well.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 18:04   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcaskew View Post
It's time to buy tablets for my wife and I.... which has the best chartplotter apps?
Thanks
Carlton
I'm looking for a tablet for next year also. I'm not understanding your question though. A Tablet, I'm assuming, has a built in GPS, then one might download OpenCPN and voila. Is this a wrong assumption?
I'm not sure what to get myself. It seems what ever a person has, they consider the best. I have been looking at the Microsoft Surface. It's under $400 but I have no idea if a GPS system can be added to it. Anyone know?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 18:50   #9

Moist tablets don't have true GPS, only the ones that have 3/4G ability with a wireless carrier.
gcaskew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 19:07   #10

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Pretty sure my samsung tab does. At least it tracks where no signal is possible, like 50 miles in back woods.
Old 10-02-2014, 19:13   #11

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Ref Open CPN don't think you can install to direct to android. Been looking for this, no app yet that I can see. I would really like to get it.
Old 10-02-2014, 19:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcaskew View Post
Moist tablets don't have true GPS, only the ones that have 3/4G ability with a wireless carrier.
My understanding is that some do and while almost all have 1 USB port, a GPS puck can be plugged in.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-02-2014, 19:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
Ref Open CPN don't think you can install to direct to android. Been looking for this, no app yet that I can see. I would really like to get it.
Ah...I see. I have it on my Laptop but that's a program, not an app. My interest in the tablet is power consumption. My Dell is a hog. More than my refrigeration.
Old 10-02-2014, 19:27   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Ah...I see. I have it on my Laptop but that's a program, not an app. My interest in the tablet is power consumption. My Dell is a hog. More than my refrigeration.
The iPads will have the lowest power consumption for the CPU muscle provided, but even then, with the GPS active, it really eats power. For replacing a chart plotter you need a power cord connected.

Is there no app for Android that uses Navionics or Garmin charts?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 19:31   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The iPads will have the lowest power consumption for the CPU muscle provided, but even then, with the GPS active, it really eats power. For replacing a chart plotter you need a power cord connected.

Is there no app for Android that uses Navionics or Garmin charts?
I think there is and that brings to mind another question. How much are the charts for lets say the North and South Pacific?

Tags
cruising