Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 17:34   #1

Boat: Morgan 41 OI
SUP

I know many cruisers have stand up paddle boards and they come in rigid and inflatable. I am waiting to buy one and would like feedback from those who have them on which is preferred while living aboard. I have heard arguments for the inflatable as far as storage. Is there any other benefits to the inflatable other than that? How about performance? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Columbia30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 18:03   #2

Boat: Young 43
Re: SUP

I have had a number of SUP's onboard including an inflateable and I think they greatly enhance the cruising lifestyle.
They provide good excercise and are very usefull in cleaning the hull and up to a meter below the antifouling line.
I would never get an inflateable again after running into an oyster shell on a jetty.Any decent one needs to be pumped to a high pressure and it's very difficult to properly repair.
Our current one is a Bic ACE TEC 10 foot long and a very wide 23" which makes it very stable for encounters with side on wash.
We stow below when we leave the boat or on the cabin top when sailing.
A good cover will help, get a leg rope to tie to the boat and don't skimp of your paddle. It must be carbon fibre and a good fit. Adjustable length is good if several people will use the board.
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 18:19   #3

Boat: Morgan 41 OI

Thank you. I have my doubts on an inflatable and will most like go with a rigid.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Columbia30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 19:44   #4

Boat: Vancouver 27

I went with a starboard inflatable windsup a few months ago and think it's an awesome piece of kit. Really robust..way more so than my achilles inflatable dinghy. In my case, on a small cruising boat already loaded up with a bunch of other gear, the inflatable seemed like a pretty fair compromise. The one I went with is 12' x 33" and is absolutely massive in the flesh.

Long and narrow for maximum glide or trek-ability; short and fat for more stability and maneuverability.

Go test some out and see what works for you. If you do get an inflatable, get a high quality one.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote