Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2016, 05:51   #31

Re: Stringing lights, bad etiquette?

As long as they aren't blinking, rotating or particularly bright. Relax and don't let the grumpy people bother you. If they want it dark, they can close their curtains. It's the rare marina that's not lit up all night anyway.

We've only hung lights from the mast around Christmas time at the dock.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 10:59   #32

Boat: Tayana 37

The fact that the original poster asked the question suggests someone else out there may be thinking about how they might be influencing or effecting others by their actions. I'm not grumpy, I just care about the environment and others.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tmcdonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 11:11   #33

Boat: Catalina 30

No matter what you're going to piss somebody off that doesn't like something you do. It's inevitable so for a small thing like lights, if it makes you happy go for it. As far as traveling at night I think the biggest hinderance is it will limit your night vision and how far you can see.
Old 29-04-2016, 13:10   #34

Boat: Catalina 30

Seriously folks, Cancer from lights? Little teensy-weensy christmas tree-like lights that the OP is talking about? I don't think I'll worry about this one quite yet.

Beginning to think that soon we'll hear that taking a morning pee either causes cancer or promotes global warming ... oops, sorry "Climate Change" now that it isn't warming like we were told 10 years ago.

Thieves like the light? Yeah, that's why they carry flashlights IN THE DARK! Daylight hours aren't exactly prime time for break ins.

Oh, how we ramble. Sorry, guess I'm as guilty as the next at heading off-topic. But as they say, those who think they know it all irritate the hell out of us who really do
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 13:28   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Stringing lights, bad etiquette?

The Chinese stores here in Portugal do a great range of solar powered strings of lights.. not much use on the tree in the lounge but.. great strung along the S facing veranda..
Thousands of Chinese shops here.. as the Portuguese say.. "Don't risk 'Mooning' in the street as the Chinese will open a store before you can get your pants back up.."

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:40   #36

I use the small colored LED's on my lifelines at anchor, as they stand out from background city lights.
Kestle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:18   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Im also up to speed with the suggestion that artificial light MAY have an influence with cancer (specifically breast). However, so can natural light - its called the sun. Perhaps we should switch it off? .......just in case, or should we become troglodytes and never venture out.
Consuming just about anything has also been linked with cancer - should we also stop eating and drinking in case we die?
We need to be realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcdonagh View Post
Got to admit I strongly dislike extraneous artificial light. I have been know to curse the moon at times.
On a serious note, artificial night lighting has been associated with increased cancer, significantly hinders night vision especially for older folk and adversely effects wildlife. Light trespass across property lines is a serious problem which is only now being carefully considered by cities and municipalities.
Say nothing for the tons of carbon spewing into the atmosphere promoting climate change due to unnecessary lighting. Oh, and the safely argument, it's all perceived safety. Burglars and thieves need light to burgle.
I remember watching the march of the Milky Way across the night sky. There is a whole generation of children that will never experience that wonder without traveling to a remote locale where artificial light is minimal. So, I encourage you to think twice before adding more extraneous light to our environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:46   #38

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Geez... Some real curmudgeons here.

I say go for it, but not when underway. The exception of course, Christmas Boat Parades!
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:02   #39
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Go with it anytime! We are only young once

as for whilst underway... have you ever passed a cruise ship at night? Lights! Fantastic I watch to movie on their big screen

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:14   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuzzlebutt View Post
Seriously folks, Cancer from lights? Little teensy-weensy christmas tree-like lights that the OP is talking about? I don't think I'll worry about this one quite yet.

Beginning to think that soon we'll hear that taking a morning pee either causes cancer or promotes global warming ... oops, sorry "Climate Change" now that it isn't warming like we were told 10 years ago.

Thieves like the light? Yeah, that's why they carry flashlights IN THE DARK! Daylight hours aren't exactly prime time for break ins.

Oh, how we ramble. Sorry, guess I'm as guilty as the next at heading off-topic. But as they say, those who think they know it all irritate the hell out of us who really do
Totally agree except for one detail. I learned from experience that daylight hours, at least in some places, are prime time for break ins. Thieves know that most people are at work so it's a good time to casually walk around to the back door of a house and pop a window pane.

I once lived in a nice neighborhood but with a not so nice neighborhood no so far away. Over several years our house was broken into several times, always during the day.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:32   #41
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

If youse dont like lights.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14202506_1647990828826322_2980207035194873643_n.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	130546  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 15:20   #42