Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 08:26   #1

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY
Strickly Sail Oakland Lodging

Hi all,
I am hoping to make it up to Oakland for some of the cruising seminars next week. Has anybody stayed nearby the boat show in Oakland? I understand the area can get a bit chancy after hours. Any recommendations by residents or visitors would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Strickly Sail Oakland Lodging

Outside of Jack London Square at night is a little dicey, but there is nothing to do once you are a couple blocks from the Square anyway. Inside Jack London Square is plenty safe at night if you use good common sense. There is the Waterfront Hotel at JLS which is pretty nice. There is also the Marriott Courtyard in downtown Oakland. There are other hotels in the area, but those are the only two I would consider staying in. During the day walking from the Courtyard to JLS is about a 20 minute walk and would be safe. At night I would take a cab for your own safety.

If you like jazz there is Yoshi's across the street from JLS. There is also the Fat Lady where sometimes you can hear an opera singer which is a block away from JLS, and a relatively safe walk at night. At night the only other attractions at JLS are Scott's restaurant, Kinkaid's restaurant, Heinhold's First and Last Chance Saloon (not to miss), where Jack London hung out and a few retail shops that are still open at night. If you are into canoeing or kayaking there is a rental place there, during the day of course. You can also catch a ferry to San Francisco from JLS, which might be nice if you want to see SF at night from the water. The SF Bay is really pretty at night.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 18:16   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Strickly Sail Oakland Lodging

I looked into getting a room in Alameda this weekend but rates have doubled for the boat show weekend. You are completly on your own finding a room this late anywhere near JLS. But, if you are willing to stay a 1/2 hour away and not be in Oakland, you may have luck. It takes only minutes to get from the freeway to the show.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail