Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2015, 04:11   #121
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: spot the boatman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Its turning into a definite Love-Hate relationship... you love it.. and I'm starting to hate it..
Gonna look into having her lifted and stored here for the summer.. got a contract to honour.. and much needed cash to be earned to pay for it.. starting May 15th when I have to be in Miami to bring a boat across to Gibraltar.
I think its the steering head manual pump thats died this time.. either that or the Dutch cowboy in Malta that re-did the ram seals etc cocked up badly..
Can however strongly recommend the Sicilian mechanic in Mazara do Velo.. Nino Anistasi.. did an excellent job.
Ahh well... fill you in later guys.
I had a vetus hydraulic manual steering pump fail,but it took a while,getting progressively worse,not just suddenly stopped working.
the seals on the ram shaft,again take a long time to wear out.
leakage of oil would cause a sudden failure,or an airlock.

maybe give it another try bleeding at the ram.

if you can get the boat to Cartagena I have an engineer friend who could sort any problems.
Welcome to "one stop yacht care" Based, Cartagena, Spain.(+34)659 3232 43 - English

realistically it is still about 1000miles to your home port.
it will be tough to get there in the time frame,best not get stuck somewhere really expensive!

cheers alex
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 04:49   #122
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,331
Re: spot the boatman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
……..
Gonna look into having her lifted and stored here for the summer..
Ya could always get a delivery skipper






OK maybe not funny

Maybe it's only a little problem to fix - best of british to you
__________________

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 05:40   #123
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: spot the boatman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Ya could always get a delivery skipper






OK maybe not funny

Maybe it's only a little problem to fix - best of british to you
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 05:44   #124
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: spot the boatman!

Then again.. I'm a lot older now so....

__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 06:09   #125
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,757
Re: spot the boatman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Its turning into a definite Love-Hate relationship... you love it.. and I'm starting to hate it..
Gonna look into having her lifted and stored here for the summer.. got a contract to honour.. and much needed cash to be earned to pay for it.. starting May 15th when I have to be in Miami to bring a boat across to Gibraltar.
...
If you are going to leave it in Sardinia probably you will not find a better price/quality than on the Shipyard of Paolo Muras in Airbatax. Leaved there my boat (on the dry) for the winter.

It will be protected ( a fence and cameras) and Paolo is not only a good mechanic but also an honest guy. Someone forget to charge my batteries and they were dead. He proposed to pay for new ones (I only accepted half of it since they were 8 years old). I had done there some work on the rudder and I was satisfied with the job and price as well as the price of keeping the boat. Nice cheap town too.

• Cantiere Nautico Arbatax Di Mulas Paolo •!
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 06:23   #126
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: spot the boatman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
If you are going to leave it in Sardinia probably you will not find a better price/quality than on the Shipyard of Paolo Muras in Airbatax. Leaved there my boat (on the dry) for the winter.

It will be protected ( a fence and cameras) and Paolo is not only a good mechanic but also an honest guy. Someone forget to charge my batteries and they were dead. He proposed to pay for new ones (I only accepted half of it since they were 8 years old). I had done there some work on the rudder and I was satisfied with the job and price as well as the price of keeping the boat. Nice cheap town too.

• Cantiere Nautico Arbatax Di Mulas Paolo •!
Hmmmm...!!
Are we talking CF cheap.. or Boatman cheap..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 06:34   #127
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,757
Re: spot the boatman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hmmmm...!!
Are we talking CF cheap.. or Boatman cheap..
I will try to find his email. He does not speak English but he has a very nice girl on the office that does.

At the time I have done a lot of research about prices and that was the cheapest I could find on the Island with good boat security. In Portugal we had the boats on the same marina...for a reason. By the way you should look at the marina at Nazar (Portugal). Better prices
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 08:49   #128
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,757
Re: spot the boatman!

Couldn't find the email. My boat stayed there in 2007/2008.

On the net I have found this one, maybe it works:

info@cantierenauticoarbatax.com
telf + 39 0782 667625

Look at Google earth and search for Cantieri Arbatax. You are going to see the Cantieri Reiulta, the Cantieri Valdes. The Cantieri Nautico Paulo Mulas is the one that has no name there and is on the other side of the road on the left.

As you can see not a luxury thing for luxury yachts

I know you are going to like Paulo Mulas not only for the service but as a guy.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 08:52   #129
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: spot the boatman!

Salty on a bad hair day.

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 14:01   #130
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: spot the boatman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I will try to find his email. He does not speak English but he has a very nice girl on the office that does.

At the time I have done a lot of research about prices and that was the cheapest I could find on the Island with good boat security. In Portugal we had the boats on the same marina...for a reason. By the way you should look at the marina at Nazar (Portugal). Better prices
Ahh.. but the guy in Fig da Foz is a friend...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 15:56   #131
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: spot the boatman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Salty on a bad hair day.
That was before the accident weavis.

Oh Boaty! Dont be sad. U have nice boat!

One thing me learned on CF is maintenance is the great equalizer. No matter how many waves are there or experience of sailing. Every @#&$(@#& sailwhore on here has something major go wrong on their boat. Why yis that? Nebber storms or wails or ****. Just some major maintenance issue clips them on the arse.

So don't be sad. Yu fix and be out agin soon.

__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 16:36   #132
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cruising the Gulf of Mexico.
Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Posts: 1,439
Re: spot the boatman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Its turning into a definite Love-Hate relationship... you love it.. and I'm starting to hate it..
Gonna look into having her lifted and stored here for the summer.. got a contract to honour.. and much needed cash to be earned to pay for it.. starting May 15th when I have to be in Miami to bring a boat across to Gibraltar.
I think its the steering head manual pump thats died this time.. either that or the Dutch cowboy in Malta that re-did the ram seals etc cocked up badly..
Can however strongly recommend the Sicilian mechanic in Mazara do Velo.. Nino Anistasi.. did an excellent job.
Ahh well... fill you in later guys.


I don't know if your hyd sys has a pressurized reservoir but I know I am a big fan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hynautic-RV-...-/301578548404

Minors leaks are just that. Minor.

I keep mine @ 2 bar and check my system by a glance at the sight glass and pressure gauge. Easy to bleed.

Pulled a bonehead stunt trying to adjust below decks autopilot pump underway and pinched one of a kind o-ring. Lost about 1 quart every 2 weeks but never lost steering or had to bleed due to reservoir/volume tank maintaining positive pressure.




------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
__________________
Working on spending my children's inheritance.
Cap Erict3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 01:32   #133
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: spot the boatman!

Replaced all seals in the ram and two new 3.5metre lengths of hose and fitting in Malta.. thats all the is.. these lead to the pump/header at the wheel.. no bleed points anywhere.. apart from the filler hole.
Resevior is full... wheel just spins.. no movement at the ram.. rudder stays central.. to use emergency steering ram has to be removed completely else its in the way..
Wires are so much easier to fix.. especially in a seaway of 3metres and blowing...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 01:47   #134
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: spot the boatman!

Are you missing your Beneteau?


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
S/Y Jessabb http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 03:55   #135
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: spot the boatman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Replaced all seals in the ram and two new 3.5metre lengths of hose and fitting in Malta.. thats all the is.. these lead to the pump/header at the wheel.. no bleed points anywhere.. apart from the filler hole.
Resevior is full... wheel just spins.. no movement at the ram.. rudder stays central.. to use emergency steering ram has to be removed completely else its in the way..
Wires are so much easier to fix.. especially in a seaway of 3metres and blowing...
I cant see how your system can work without there being bleed points at the ram hose connections,otherwise you are just trying to push air around hence the wheel just spinning.
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spot, Spot II, Spot Connect blewett_john Health, Safety & Related Gear 57 08-05-2012 16:13
Crew Available: Looking For A Ride With A Real Boatman Blue Crab Crew Archives 11 27-03-2012 09:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.