Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 19:38   #1

spin reel

Any of you fishermen out there have a good spinning real you'd recommend? I looked at the Penn Torque S7 but the price almost made me gag, the damn thing is more than my International VSX.

Looking for something sealed, ball bearings, good manufacturer, serviceable, that can handle modest game fish.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 19:43   #2

Re: spin reel

Maybe the Penn Conqueror?
Old 06-04-2013, 19:45   #3

I have always used the penn ss series. The last time I bought one they were between 69.99-159.99, but I have some that are 30yrs. old. You just need to rinse with fresh water after use. Maybe a used one in good shape. Good luck.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 19:50   #4

Do you use roller tips on the rod? The only spin fishing I've ever done is lightweight trout stuff in fresh water.
Old 06-04-2013, 20:08   #5

Boat: Sailboat

we spent way too much $$$ on rod and reels, later we changed to plastic hand reels, read up on Pam Wall's blog:

How to Catch More Fish While Sailing

and our blog, we had good luck with the 12" Cuban Yo Yos:

One slooooow sail to Suwarrow Atoll, caught a 16kg Wahoo
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 20:13   #6

Thanks, but I've got and use hand reels. I've got a stand up trolling rig and want a stand up spin rig as well.
Old 06-04-2013, 20:13   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

You want the Slammer series. They are affordable, very tough, and with proper maintenance will last you a lifetime. They are simple, very easy to disassemble and clean, and they are smooth. Every serious saltwater spin fisherman I know who is on a budget but values good equipment uses these.

What size fish are we talking about? I've never seen a spin rod with a roller tip, and in general I don't think spin reels are suitable for fish over 100 lbs. depending on the species.

I've landed 40 lb. striped bass on a 6' 6" medium action spinning rod with a slammer 260, but that outfit would be outmatched by faster pelegic species. If you just want to muscle them in and haul them on deck then you want a "conventional" reel such as a casting or trolling reel.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 20:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
You want the Slammer series. They are affordable, very tough, and with proper maintenance will last you a lifetime. They are simple, very easy to disassemble and clean, and they are smooth. Every serious saltwater spin fisherman I know who is on a budget but values good equipment uses these.

What size fish are we talking about? I've never seen a spin rod with a roller tip, and in general I don't think spin reels are suitable for fish over 100 lbs. depending on the species.

I've landed 40 lb. striped bass on a 6' 6" medium action spinning rod with a small slammer reel, but that outfit would be outmatched by faster pelegic species. If you just want to muscle them in and haul them on deck then you want a "conventional" reel such as a casting or trolling reel.
I've got a decent trolling rig but I wanted something for around the anchorage or out in the dinghy. Mainly for bass I'm thinking / hoping but if there's some floating thinghy nearby I can cast into I'd probably give it a spin (pardon the pun).

Thanks for the recommendation though, that's what I'm talking about: quality, not insanely priced, can handle ~25lb guys.
Old 06-04-2013, 20:39   #9

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

I've had a Penn Senator mounted on the pushpit for over 20 years. Caught a lot of fish from the Bahamas through to the South Pacific. I have done very little maintenance on it but had to repalce the handle when it seized a few years ago.
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 20:44   #10

Spinning rods have bigger guides than rods meant to be used with conventional or trolling reels. A good all around spinning outfit would be your choice of reel capable of holding 200-250yds. of 12-15lb. test mono line. A 7' spinning rod. the guides nearest the reel will have a larger diameter maybe around 2" or so. You want one with a fairly light tip. This will help you cast farther. It will also help you feel the light tap tap tap of fish. I think you will be happier with a better quality setup that will last you a lifetime. Good luck and go catchem up!
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 20:53   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Send an email here attention Eddie : hopcarmarine@yahoo.com
Tell Eddie what kind of fishing your going to do and he will steer you in the right direction. Eddie knows more about fishing than anyone else I've ever met. Many of the serious tournament fishermen in our area bring their reels to Eddie for tune ups and respooling before major tournaments. When you've got tens of thousands of dollars on the line, you don't just trust anybody and tie the knots.

I'm thinking of upgrading my spinning reels to these: Penn Spinfisher V Spinner Reel
Old 06-04-2013, 21:15   #12

Boat: csy 37

try to find a penn 704z. i've seen them on ebay, they're no longer made. have had mine for 20 years or more. they may be the biggest spin reel penn made - nearly 300 yards of 20lb line. they're simple and rugged, easy to clean. never had a single problem with it.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 22:39   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Down here on the Bayou, we catch 25 to 50 lb Red Drum and Black Drum, on a 6 1/2 ft Ugly Stick with the reel they put on them at Walmart, we use 30 lb Power Pro it's the same diameter as 10 lb mono. I have caught a couple of 40 lb Red Fish with with this set up! and cheap to, under 45 bucks at Walmart wash them off once in a while is all we ever do and we have been using them 5 yrs just a thought