Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2016, 05:30   #61
Registered User
 
ReMetau's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: Hans Christian 33
Posts: 647
Re: Spear Fishing - Dangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
NO

As a life time recreational free diver and Spear Fisher, Spear Fishing on SCUBA
is pretty much the same as Big Game Hunting down at the local Zoo.

Unethical and GREEDY behaviour in the extreme.
No it is the same as hunting with camouflage. If you eat what you shoot and no more, then how is this unethical and greedy? Maybe your argument should be directed at water polluters and commercial fishing, because they have WAY more impacts on the oceans than individuals spear fishing with SCUBA.
__________________

__________________
Don & Diana
s/v ReMetau - a Hans Christian 33
http://www.remetau.com
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 05:39   #62
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 15,333
Re: Spear Fishing - Dangers

REAL MEN catch fish with their bare hands?
__________________

__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:07   #63
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,786
Images: 4
Re: Spear Fishing - Dangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
"At the risk of this devolving into another anchor/gun pissing match, I urge everyone to take a breath and get back on topic. If you care to debate spearfishing LAWS, please feel free to start another thread." MODERATOR

Not a pissing match, and on topic. Why are laws made? Think about speed limits, boat safety regulations, etc. They are there to protect people. Sometimes from their own stupidity.

Spearfishing on compressed air is against the law in most of the world where spearfishing is possible. These laws ARE relevant to safety, because spearfishing on compressed air (or other gas mixtures) is unsafe.
Please since you are big on truths, cite your sources for legislation, studies, etc showing that the reason spearing on scuba is banned due to safety, and not environmental/ resource issues.
Not every law is passed to protect people. Some are to protect big business, or other reasons.
What I found in 5 minutes of googling was the countries that have banned it did so to protect breeding fish and protect fish stocks as they were being exploited for commercial purposes. This Includes Australia, I could find nothing regarding "safety" being the reason, I did find that there were A lot of deaths not spearfishing related back in the 60's and 70's including "instructors".
Also your comment regarding experience with diving and spearing was baseless, you have Zero clue as to the experience level of those posting here and to make an accusation based on your feelings is almost not worth a response.



Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:41   #64
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Durban, South Africa
Boat: Montevideo 43'
Posts: 41
Re: Spear Fishing - Dangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Capngeo,

I would consider this simply robust discussion and debate all related to spearfishing not a pissing match as you put it.

Cheers
I agree but we really should check our facts.
How come we don't do deco stops on Hooka? Some special gas or something?
What is the big deal with diving on "deep wrecks in 85' to 110' " Lots of spearo's do that on free diving. It happens every day in places like Australia, South Africa, the Med and lots of other places as well.
I've seen Trevor Hutton shoot a fish in 60m on breath-hold diving.
That said, spearfishing is not about deep diving. Spearfishing is a special experience and I think that we all should strife to protect the privilege and just enjoy it.
__________________
Downline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:47   #65
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 15,333
Re: Spear Fishing - Dangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downline View Post
I agree but we really should check our facts.
How come we don't do deco stops on Hooka?if you incur a deco obligation, you had better or at least have DAN so your chamber ride won't ruin your finances Some special gas or something?
What is the big deal with diving on "deep wrecks in 85' to 110' " Lots of spearo's do that on free diving. It happens every day in places like Australia, South Africa, the Med and lots of other places as well.85 to 110 isn't deep at all, unless your free diving, you may have seen people free dive to 100' and shoot fish, but I haven't, and I can't. then there is the safety aspect
I've seen Trevor Hutton shoot a fish in 60m on breath-hold diving.
That said, spearfishing is not about deep diving. Spearfishing is a special experience and I think that we all should strife to protect the privilege and just enjoy it.
I agree, and where I shoot fish I don't believe there is any concern at all, by anyone, the concern I believe is down there in South Fl?
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 13:16   #66
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 36
Re: Spear Fishing - Dangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
"These laws ARE relevant to safety, because spearfishing on compressed air (or other gas mixtures) is unsafe.

.
Please explain this comment. BTW spear fishing on scuba is legal in Canada. I do it, lots of my friends do it. Don't understand what the safety concern is.
__________________
wedivebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 13:47   #67
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 15,333
Spear Fishing - Dangers

From a safety perspective read this. Now 40 hrs ago I'd have been a strong advocate for free diving spearo's, but that was 40 years ago. Now to participate it pretty much means Scuba for me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_water_blackout

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 15:06   #68
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,088
Re: Spear Fishing - Dangers

Just my NSHO:

Spear fishing with SCUBA is like trolling with 100kg line.

People who do it for sport abhor the practice. People who just want to feed themselves see it as a valid option.

Both perspectives are equally valid.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 15:57   #69
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Boat: L 400
Posts: 724
Re: Spear Fishing - Dangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downline View Post
I agree but we really should check our facts.
How come we don't do deco stops on Hooka? Some special gas or something?
What is the big deal with diving on "deep wrecks in 85' to 110' " Lots of spearo's do that on free diving. It happens every day in places like Australia, South Africa, the Med and lots of other places as well.
I've seen Trevor Hutton shoot a fish in 60m on breath-hold diving.
That said, spearfishing is not about deep diving. Spearfishing is a special experience and I think that we all should strife to protect the privilege and just enjoy it.
Yes, Downline. I agree with all your points. Elite athletic freedivers and fat old men on SCUBA spear the deep.

Your comment about Hookah deco stops is one such reason for me not arguing with "this lot". They don't know what they don't know.

I hope the mighty Durban Wahoos Spearfishing Club is still going well.
__________________
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 16:17   #70
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,786
Images: 4
Re: Spear Fishing - Dangers

Since this is Safety related and two of you keep poking at why some of us say no deco stop on hooka spearing, let me shed some light so that it may save someone's life. If you are stupid enough to purposely be tied to a hookah rig spearfishing (I know almost no one practicing this) and stay at depth long enough to NEED a deco stop, then you are an idiot and A64 is correct, hope you have DAN or other insurance because you are asking for a ride to the chamber. Hookah rigs should not be trusted in that way as they quit, have failures, run out of gas and so on much more frequently then scuba . They should be used for shallower depths and within safe limits or you are taking a huge risk. Sure you could do it and hang bottles at your planned stops etc but really how many rec divers would? I am not talking about commercial divers, welders , workers etc that have redundancies, etc I am speaking of "recreational" sport divers which some of you obviously are or you wouldn't have engaged in this argument.
Also don't you"spearos" realize that if your free diving deep, to truly be safe you should (according to more than one underwater free diving org guidelines) be accompanied by a scuba diver to assist in an emergency? So its not cool to spear on scuba but its cool to have a scuba diver be your safety net while you spear free diving? Wtf :what: I think then term Hipocrit applies or are you condoning Unsafe practices?
Tuskie, you still also haven't cited sources for your comment, Should we assume it was rubbish?
I think I'm going to back off this thread as its a waste of bandwidth as bits obvious who were dealing with

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 17:00   #71
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,641
Images: 3
Re: Spear Fishing - Dangers

Freediving spearfishermen accompanied by safety scuba divers??

Thats a new concept.

Freediving competitors accompanied by safety scuba divers. Now thats real.
__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 17:28   #72
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,786
Images: 4
Re: Spear Fishing - Dangers

So If your free diving deep but not for competition your saying you only need another free diver to be deemed safe? Hmm not according to some guidelines I read. And they were from an Australian org so it must be "gospel"



Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 17:37   #73
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,641
Images: 3
Re: Spear Fishing - Dangers

Be interested in your Australian org link on that.

In any watersport there are risks and hazards just as monohulls can sink and cats turn turtle.

Its about how you manage those risks.

Why do any of us dive when the ocean is full of man eating sharks??
__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 18:00   #74
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,786
Images: 4
Re: Spear Fishing - Dangers

On managing risks we agree. Someone's post was 85-110' free dive spearing is done every day. That depth is beyond the range where the recommendation is made for a scuba assist in an emergency. It also says you should use a safety line. So a diver can pull himself up in the event of losing a fin or severe leg cramp. So yes all how you manage them. Sounds like maybe some others don't take serious precautions. But hey a lot of scuba divers die every year as well. 130+ scuba, and 40+ free divers per year die on average, I think sharks are a tiny percent of that. I do believe serious free divers tend to be in better shape, which would lead one to believe that a majority of FD deaths are due to complacency not managing the risks due to over confidence. With scuba a majority are from equipment / air supply failure, cardiac/ health reasons.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
danger, fish, fishing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best underwater scooter for spear fishing | Tusa or Apollo? Photographer Fishing, Recreation & Fun 5 12-07-2016 18:17
Dangers at Sea, Dangers on Land letsgetsailing3 Health, Safety & Related Gear 145 26-06-2014 13:42
Spear Guns, Cross Bows, and Composite Bows? Rob Toronto General Sailing Forum 49 29-03-2011 15:44
Travel or Fixed Pole Spear ? off-the-grid Fishing, Recreation & Fun 24 03-09-2010 13:37


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.