Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-09-2016, 15:28   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Spear Fishing - Dangers

Second you on that - far more eco with selective farming. If you are only shooting for your own pot then I have no issue and do this myself. I dive with air only - we have a Bauer Junior II compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Nonsense, I only spear on Scuba, and usually do a safety stop and sometimes a 20' Deco stop, I don't do a 10 cause if any wave action, your not holding 10'. There is absolutely nothing wrong or immoral or any of that nonsense for shooting fish on SCUBA where it's allowed. I would argue that as I get to pick which fish I harvest that I'm way more Eco conscious shooting them than regular line fishing.

I'd love though to watch you or someone else free dive an oil rig or some of the sites I used to shoot fish, I usually stay at or above 110' cause I like to dive on Nitrox, but have gone much deeper on Tri-mix.
I rarely breather air, I'm one of those that believe that air is not a suitable dive gas, or said another way, there are gasses for any depth that are better and safer than air.
I don't do deep air.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 24-09-2016, 16:39   #47

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Florida May Ban Spearfishing on Scuba and Lower Lobster Limits

"RMA N-59 sounds esoteric enough, but if Our Florida Reefs has its way, spearfishing while scuba diving will soon be illegal in Florida. RMA is an acronym for Recommended Management Action, and Our Florida Reefs (OFR) has 68 of them prepared to impact what all Floridians and our tourists can and cannot do in, on, or under the sea here in South Florida. Some of those impacts seem reasonable and logical such as creating coral reef gardens assuming funding can be found, while others are likely to create quite a bit of controversy.

RMA S-97 proposes to reduce the Lobster Mini-Season bag limits from 12 lobsters to only 6 lobsters per person per day. RMA S-87 suggests making the collection of parrot fish and surgeon fish illegal whether as by-catch in a lobster trapping loophole or as tropical aquarium fish. RMA N-146, which may have the most impact, could help establish no-take zones and no-anchor areas all along the coast. In other words, there will be government agencies telling you where you can and cannot anchor your boat and whether you can fish or dive at all in certain areas.

ďIím all for protecting our reefs. And I think a lot of their suggestions can help. But banning spearfishing for scuba divers I donít think is the right answer. I personally prefer to hunt freediving, but taking the sport away for scuba divers isnít right.Ē Ė Anthony Gualtieri of Fort Lauderdale

Particularly disturbing is RMA S-54 that proposes that Florida apply to UNESCO for the Florida Reef Tract to be Designated a World Heritage Site. While that may sound reasonable at first glance, the deeper concept of a US state granting a foreign entity control and protection over its natural resources is a slippery slope that relieves Florida and, in turn, the United States of some of its sovereignty. Treasure hunting and marine archaeology would come to an immediate halt and would likely result in confiscations and lease terminations throughout Florida.

OFR is a community planning process intended to bring together a variety of reef users and stakeholders together with agencies like the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP), the South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD), and a host of scientists and professionals from various marine-related industries like commercial fishing, dive shops, and the like.''

This is an argument Australia has already been through and it invariably comes back to losing spearfishing fullstop or spearfishing with scuba. Looks like USA is just starting to go through this discussion.

I can understand ones feeling at losing something you have participated in all your life. In the end the more eco friendly harvesting argument will not hold up. It becomes a numbers game stacked against the lesser number of divers vs other fishers. Good luck.

Old 24-09-2016, 17:48   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Then there are those, that don't shoot fish on reefs. There is a Florida outside of South Florida too.

Old 24-09-2016, 18:56   #49

Boat: 38' French Cat

As for the "potential law". That came out a long time ago and again 9 months ago and nothing has changed, except if you shoot X number of lionfish they let you harvest an extra lobster.
Many countries have banned spearing only after a failure in establishing limits or the ability to Enforce those limits caused a huge depletion of stocks. I can remember pictures of Bahamian scuba divers shooting lobster bringing up a line stringer with hundreds of lobsters on it.
For "you" who think Bahamian laws are to protect them from Americans, your wrong.
As to south Florida being a bunch of " Good old boys" do you realize that more than Half of Floridians are from other State?

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-09-2016, 03:41   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I would argue that as I get to pick which fish I harvest that I'm way more Eco conscious shooting them than regular line fishing.
NO

As a life time recreational free diver and Spear Fisher, Spear Fishing on SCUBA
is pretty much the same as Big Game Hunting down at the local Zoo.

Unethical and GREEDY behaviour in the extreme.
Old 25-09-2016, 08:01   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
NO

So hunting at the local zoo is OK if you challenge yourself a bit more by say holding your breath? Or shooting offhand or using open sights?:what:

Old 25-09-2016, 16:45   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
So hunting at the local zoo is OK if you challenge yourself a bit more by say holding your breath? Or shooting offhand or using open sights?:what:

I think you miss the point.
Old 25-09-2016, 17:20   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I think you miss the point.
My point is its stupid to condemn spearing on scuba while saying its OK to do it free diving just because its a bit more challenging. While in Fact scuba divers / bubbles/ noise/ awkward jerkiness, tend to scare game fish worse making it more challenging in its own right.
Like those who argue say hunting with a scope vs no scope, hunting with compound bow vs classic bow....
by the way you may want to check your facts before posting them. Spearfishing on scuba is allowed in many countries. US, UK, a bunch (as in more than 2) of countries in the EU, Mexico, Most of Asia, To name a "few"
Just because its a law where you live doesn't mean its universal

Old 25-09-2016, 23:30   #54

Boat: L 400

"In*Mexico*a regular fishing permit allows spearfishing, but not electro-mechanical spearguns. Spearfishing with scuba gear is illegal and the use of power heads as well. Penalties are severe and include fines, confiscated gear and even imprisionment".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spearfishing

Hiha, Hombre. You'all should take your own advice and check your facts before posting more rubbish.

The rest of your incorrect assertions don't warrant the effort.
Old 26-09-2016, 00:58   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
"In*Mexico*a regular fishing permit allows spearfishing, but not electro-mechanical spearguns. Spearfishing with scuba gear is illegal and the use of power heads as well. Penalties are severe and include fines, confiscated gear and even imprisionment".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spearfishing
What does a wikipedia link have anything to do with it? Other than its comments about it being highly selective and having no by catch.
You are correct apparently in 2012 they passed the no SCUBA law, funny I can still find links to booking scuba spearfishing trips there. And apparently the UK passed a law for scuba as well. I stand corrected. The list of country regs I went to on a spear forum is outdated. I still feel its silly to condemn one yet condone another yet I can understand peoples behavior regarding it.

Old 26-09-2016, 01:13   #56
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

At the risk of this devolving into another anchor/gun pissing match, I urge everyone to take a breath and get back on topic. If you care to debate spearfishing LAWS, please feel free to start another thread.
Old 26-09-2016, 01:36   #57

Capngeo,

I would consider this simply robust discussion and debate all related to spearfishing not a pissing match as you put it.

Cheers
Old 26-09-2016, 04:29   #58

"At the risk of this devolving into another anchor/gun pissing match, I urge everyone to take a breath and get back on topic. If you care to debate spearfishing LAWS, please feel free to start another thread." MODERATOR

Not a pissing match, and on topic. Why are laws made? Think about speed limits, boat safety regulations, etc. They are there to protect people. Sometimes from their own stupidity.

Spearfishing on compressed air is against the law in most of the world where spearfishing is possible. These laws ARE relevant to safety, because spearfishing on compressed air (or other gas mixtures) is unsafe.

Just because it's legal in the US and just because you've done it heaps of time doesn't win the debate. I know people who regularly drink hard then drive fast and are sill alive. Doesn't mean that speeding while drunk is safe.

From the information gleaned from previous posts, I don't expect that some participants know enough about diving or spearfishing to fully understand all the reasons why spearfishing on compressed air is undesirable and potentially dangerous. For that reason I have chosen not to debate with them, but I refuse to let straight out lies go unchallenged. Good to see that that was acknowledged and retracted.
Old 26-09-2016, 04:30   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
NO

I used to spear between 85 and 110 feet, not on reefs but on wrecks. I'd like to see someone free dive down there.
Plus having time to pick my fish, pick my shots, wait until the time was right etc means less lost fish.
I'm not abdicating no free diving spearo's, but are pointing out that it's not that or nothing.
The one serious run in I had with a Shark where he turned and made multiple passes at me, and I was able to fend him off with the gun, would have been interesting on breath hold diving.
BTW, a power head in your pocket is about as useful as one on the boat, cause you won't be able to get to it in time.

Old 26-09-2016, 04:37   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
What does a wikipedia link have anything to do with it? Other than its comments about it being highly selective and having no by catch.
The quote about spearfishing in Mexico was sourced from Wikipedia. That piece of information was also referenced at the end of that article to which I attached a link.

Tags
danger, fish, fishing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: